Man fighting for life after serious crash in Worsbrough

Monday October 5 2015

POLICE are appealing for information following a serious crash in Worsbrough that left a man fighting for his life in hospital.

A white DAF box van crashed with a white Keeway moped at the crossroads on Thickett Lane at around 8.15am on Saturday, October 3.

The 55-year-old driver of the moped was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries He remains in a critical condition.

The driver of the van, a 45-year-old man, was reported to be uninjured.

A police spokesperson said: "Officers would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time or saw either of the vehicles prior to the collision.

"Anyone with information is asked to contact 101 quoting incident number 304 of October 3 2015."

Reply Posted by David on Monday October 5 2015 at 13:22
The crossroads at Thickett Lane, West Street, High Street and Station Road have ALWAYS been an accident blackspot with several crashes a year. If Barnsley Council had any common sense (I know it's a big ask) they'd install traffic lights that should have been done years ago!

Reply Posted by ken on Monday October 5 2015 at 13:39
This crossroads ,over the years as been a total nightmare and last year to the previous counsellor i did report it numerous times but fortunately we might at last get something done it's a crying shame that someone as to receive life threatening injury's or in this case it could be a fatality before someone will take notice and act on it. Would anyone that can, tell me how many accidents have occurred there over the last 5 years.

Reply Posted by mini on Monday October 5 2015 at 15:22
Ive lived up the street from co op 16yr now, and I've lost count of how many accidents there as been over the years. There was a accident there last saturday. Its that bad that junction that my husband and i avoid it, we come down george
street and turn left onto pantry green to get on thicket lane but that also as become a struggly since they built the new houses were masons pub was, as the residents have know off road parking so they park on thicket lane, which now causes a blind spot to see whats coming up the road from the junction when pulling out of pantry green. I would only imagine its just a matter of time that a accident happens there as some people fly down thicket lane. Something definitely needs to be done with them crossroads tho its just ridiculous.

Reply Posted by Worsbrough lad on Monday October 5 2015 at 15:48
The visibility on this junction is excellent the issue to me is the speed at which vehicles travel up an down thickett lane. Some speed control measure like humps would sort this junction out with out backing the traffic up.

Reply Posted by Amanda kirby on Monday October 5 2015 at 21:23
Hi I was at the scene after the incident happened. I didn't see the collision at all but I attended to the injured man Roy. I am a health care assistant and noticed the injured man as I was walking my 2 dogs. I stayed with Roy all the time talking to him comforting him while help came the ambulance police and paramedics arrived.
There has been numerous accidents on this busy road. A accident only happened last week on the same junction. Has there got to be a fatality for traffic lights to be put on this junction it's a death road. Roy isn't the first motor cyclist to be hurt on this junction numerous car colisions some worst than others. Barnsley council need to sort this road out. There will someone really hurt or killed on this road a child next. So please Barnsley council pull your fingers out and see to this horrible junction before someone loses there life. Hope Roy is okay I wish him well .

Reply Posted by J copley on Monday October 5 2015 at 21:56
Thank u for being there for roy.... all the family appreciate it xx

Reply Posted by Amanda kirby on Tuesday October 6 2015 at 09:48
Thanks very much for your kind words it means a lot to me. I really hope that Roy is doing okay will you please keep me updated please.

Reply Posted by j copley on Tuesday October 6 2015 at 12:45
Amanda u can add me on fb if u want and I'll message u xx

Reply Posted by amanda kirby on Tuesday October 6 2015 at 17:08
Hi there j copley can you add me as your friend as I can't find you I would need your full name. I haven't a photo on my profile that's me.