Negotiators called following incident on busy motorway

Tuesday September 22 2015

NEGOTIATORS were called out after concerned passers-by reported a man sitting on the edge of a bridge over looking a busy motorway.

Police receieved a number of reports that a man was sat on the wrong side of the fencing on the bridge over junction 37 of the M1 at 7pm on Saturday, September 19.

Negotiators were called out and the man came down safely before being taken to hospital.

The M1 was closed in both directions for around an hour.

Reply Posted by Kerry nunn on Tuesday September 22 2015 at 14:38
i was stuck in this for an hour and half, I would stay 20 hours if it meant they talked him down and got him the help he needed. God bless.

Reply Posted by Shelly on Tuesday September 22 2015 at 17:19
When individuals are so low that they want to end their life by jumping from a motorway bridge, they are not thinking straight, therefore there is no consideration for the drivers below, the implications are horrendous and it doesn't bear thinking about.

Reply Posted by Robdought on Wednesday September 23 2015 at 13:43
There we go another individual who's" implications are horrendous" and doesn't bear thinking about.Lets hope Shelly your life and your family. And friends are a bed of Roses.

know the real world Thousands of people for what ever reason find themselves with Mental illness which sadly lasts there life times.

Millions at some point in there lives will suffer some from some form of depression mild moderate or severe.

These people are ILL they need help and support let's hope Shelly you never become one of these people that are desperate for help in the future.

Reply Posted by Ray on Wednesday September 23 2015 at 14:19
I think Shelly's point was the same as your Robdought, maybe you should read it again before casting judgement She was saying and rightly so anyone that does this is not in a clear state of mind so do not necessarily consider the repercussions of their actions when they jump

Reply Posted by Robdought on Wednesday September 23 2015 at 16:31
You are right Ray and I apologise to Shelly if I have misread her point. Next time I need to be more careful how I read into things.Just this kind of topic really touches a nerve. So sorry all round.

Reply Posted by Julie on Wednesday September 23 2015 at 17:28
Hi I am the mother of the man who u r discussing until u wear the shoes of that particular person u should by pass comment he is far from a selfish person he is under a lot of stress and I can assure u he was my thinking of anyone or anything at the time this is due to a mental breakdown like I said until u go through what he as gone through pls don't judge I was there and he saw straight through me like I wasn't there it was the police and there skills what helped him

Reply Posted by laura on Wednesday September 23 2015 at 18:06
Julie I hope your son gets the help he needs abd gets himself right soon. Must be awful for yourself as well as for him.

Unless some comments have been deleted I wouldn't worry about any that are still on here as everyone (surprisingly for this site) seems extremely sympathetic and none are calling your son selfish.

All the best

Reply Posted by paul on Thursday September 24 2015 at 22:10
I suffer from depression and almost came to the limit of killing myself and then stopped myself because I couldn't bare the thaught of leaveing my 2 children behind I got the help I needed but still to this day am still depressed but they drive me forward and every day I see there face is the best thing in life there my little angels

Reply Posted by paul on Thursday September 24 2015 at 22:17
Julie glad your son is now getting the help he needs and that he feels better soon it will take time but he will get there soon xx

ipso Regulated