News » WAB Debate

Calls to extend the smoking ban to outside pubs

Monday August 17 2015

THE smoking ban should include beer gardens, parks and outside school gates, according to medical experts.

The Royal Society for Public Health want to extend the ban to reduce the convenience of lighting up.

They believe this will result in more people giving up smoking.

What do you think? Good idea or rules gone mad?

Could the proposals lead to more pubs closing?

Comment in the box below.

Reply Posted by Over 18 non smoker on Monday August 17 2015 at 15:24
Nanny state we live in-whilst this measure may (in theory) cut some nhs spending in the long term tobacco is not yet a banned substance!
It seems to me seeing the state of some of the residents of Barnsley that spend the majority of their days hanging around Peel Square in a vegetative state, that the authorities should spend more time managing these druggies that are an eyesore to the good people of Barnsley who dare venture into the town.
I am a non smoker but as long as the smokers are in a well ventilated open space and dispose of their butt ends appropriately what business is it of others if they smoke! Yet another nail in the coffin of the great British pub if this ban goes ahead!

Reply Posted by Buster61 on Monday August 17 2015 at 16:39
Last thing I want after putting on my best bib and tucker is to have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke,needs banning outside supermarkets and shops as well

Reply Posted by Becky on Tuesday August 18 2015 at 08:06
Buster dont walk through it walk round it if it bothers you so much I think all this focus on smoking is getting ridiculous I do.smoke yes but I don't go drinking I think more should be done about alcolics that loiter all over high streets and in town centre

Reply Posted by Buster61 on Sunday August 30 2015 at 12:51
If I could I would,smokers tend to congregate around entrance doors like flies round ***t

Reply Posted by Carrie on Monday September 7 2015 at 10:42
Exactly right. They stand directly in front of the pub doors so you have no choice but to walk through the fog. How do you walk round it ? They should open a smoking only pub in each town so they can all go and kill themselves in one place.
Also makes me laugh at the supermarket when people are lighting up as they go through the door as though they've been denied smoking for a month and can't even wait till they get to the car park.

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Tuesday August 18 2015 at 14:31
I`ve never smoked in my life and I hated going into places that were full of smoke and made me and my clothes stink; but why should anyone be forced to stand outside in all weathers to smoke. Pubs and clubs should have a room for smokers which is properly ventilated.
People bleat on about human rights for immigrants, druggies and alcoholics in Barnsley; what about ordinary people`s human rights that just want to go out to socialise and have a smoke.
If this new ban goes through it`ll close even more pubs, then nobody - smoker or not will be able to go out and enjoy a drink.

Reply Posted by joanne on Tuesday August 18 2015 at 16:37
I am a non smoker a little common courtesy goes a long way please do not smoke at bus stops ect, while it is a smokers human right to smoke if they please it is also my human right not to inhale the smoke that said weather you are a smoker or not your carbon monoxide level will be higher by just walking around town with traffic levels inhaling all the fumes. why don't they mention this. Drinkers, substance misuse, overweight and hypochondriacs cost alot more to society. Wasn.t the nhs and public services funded by the taxes from smokers in the first place

Reply Posted by joanne on Tuesday August 18 2015 at 16:42
sorry it should read whether not weather

Reply Posted by Pat on Wednesday August 26 2015 at 19:01