Parents Urged To Take Advantage Of Free Flu Vaccination

Monday November 3 2014

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

PARENTS of Barnsley's youngsters have been urged to take advantage of free flu vaccinations as the winter draws closer.

Flu can be a very unpleasant illness in children as they suffer the same symptoms as adults including fever, chills and aching muscles.

The free flu vaccine for children is a nasal spray which is quick, effective and painless. The vaccine is available for children from their doctor's surgery.

The free NHS flu vaccination programme is also available for pregnant women, under 65s with a long-term health condition, over 65s and registered carers.

Dr Nick Balac, GP and chair of NHS Barnsley CCG, said: "If you’re eligible for a free flu vaccination, it’s because you need it. I would advise people to speak to their doctor or midwife today.

"We understand that a lot of people don’t have time to get to their doctor's surgery so, if you're over 18, you can also get your free vaccination from a number of local chemists."

Reply Posted by Mr C on Monday November 3 2014 at 21:38
I don't believe in vaccinations you know they are very bad for you

Reply Posted by steph on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 15:41
I wouldnt ever have one after it nearly killed my Grandad. In fact i would go as far to say it did in the end because he was never right after having one.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 13:28
These jabs contain mercury and other heavy metals and can cause lots of illness

Reply Posted by Nick on Thursday November 6 2014 at 18:15
Single dose-shots of the flu vaccine and the flu vaccine nasal sprays do not contain any mercury compounds. I'd let my child have the vaccine. Flu is one of the most dangerous illnesses you could get as a child or an adult. I've had the vaccine every year for the past 10yrs and never had any reaction to it.

Reply Posted by Mrs S on Friday November 7 2014 at 14:57
I too have had the flu jab every year and I have never had a problem with it at all. Since having the flu jab ive never had flu and colds are rare so to me this is an advantage to our country! Although i know most people are too 'scared' to have the flu jab due to the lack of knowledge around them. I think more communication/education needs to be put out there to put people at ease and encourage more people to have the vaccination.

Reply Posted by chrissy on Sunday November 9 2014 at 11:26
It meks ya more poorly my pops has em every yr n they make him poorly Av told him to stop wi em but he dint coz he has asthma n everytime he has em he can hardly breath there's no way id put my child thru that