News » WAB Debate

What Do You Think To Public Transport?

Monday October 6 2014

Barnsley Interchange Barnsley Interchange

WHAT do you think to public transport? You have been invited by the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) to share your views.

The 'Have Your Say' consultation on public transport information, bus stops and interchanges closes on Wednesday.

SYPTE is seeking people's views on the journeys they take on public transport, what tickets they buy and how they buy them and how they like their public transport information to be delivered.

It also asks about transport interchanges, bus stops and the customer services that SYPTE provides.

David Young, SYPTE deputy interim director general, said: "We need to look at further ways of saving money, which is why we're asking the public about how we provide public transport information and about our interchanges.

"The feedback we get will help us to plan how we deliver these services in the future."

Click here for more information.

Reply Posted by inmyopinion on Monday October 6 2014 at 17:48
You should take mobility passes of the drug users and alcoholics, why do they get the privilege of free travel.

Reply Posted by adrian on Monday October 6 2014 at 18:45
Tates..disgraceful unreliable cowboy outfit..god help you if you are waiting for 96..absolute joke of a "service"...sypte should remove their subsidy

Reply Posted by to adrian on Monday October 6 2014 at 19:31
maybe you should catch a 69 lol

Reply Posted by agreement on Monday October 6 2014 at 19:53
Drug users and alcoholics get everything for free..
Home money for their lifestyle no hassle from job centre about getting a job..

Reply Posted by Mike Newton on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 14:06
I live in Ward Green and regularly travel to Barnsley by bus. Unfortunately this route is covered by Tate's, a service that is obviously a misnomer. The buses seldom turn up on time and frequently do not turn up at all. The buses are old and sometimes a disgrace. Despite many complaints from myself and other residents there does not appear any way to improve the service.

Reply Posted by den on Friday October 31 2014 at 18:36
totaly agree,they encourage us to use public transport and dont suply the service,ward green has a terrible record for buses not turning up,three times this week i have had to take my daughter to work because of this,what a sham,they should be fined for it

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 14:28
Do we really need a 66 bus every 10 minutes and a 67 every two hours.??? The 67 goes down every back alley in Wombwell no wonder it is seldom used.??

Reply Posted by Tom on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 14:57
I think it is a ****** rip off and the whole system stinks. Hence my frequent use of legs to walk and cycle.

The only people who seem to be able to afford to use it as a regular form of transport are those with free passes. Nationalise the lot and make it free for all at point of use. We already pay vast amounts in subsidy, so we might as well have full control over it and remove the private profit. There is no competition, public transport is either a monopoly or cartel with a managerial mafia exploiting the taxpayer and working class for all they can.

And why the hell do we have a load of bicycles at the station that nobody can afford to use. The bicycles are more akin to an arts installation than a form of transport.

Reply Posted by Doris on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 18:06
Tates need to take a look at their drivers? They are the most sour faced men? I have ever met. None of them have a redeeming feature. It's time the buses were taken off the road. Are they ever cleaned inside? are the windows ever cleaned? When you speak to a driver, if you are lucky you get a grunt or a snarl. Most of the time they look the other way and ignore you. Come on Tates management, pull your socks up and give the people, who by way of fares pay the wages, a better service and drivers with better manners. It's not too much to ask?? Or is it!!!

Reply Posted by Colin on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 18:22
I drive for Tates and I am very friendly and always smiling, You need to take a look at some of the passengers. The job can be an absolute nightmare with grumpy passengers, my favourite is, Why are you late.. DER been stuck in traffic down wakey rd,, We are only drivers and not magicians, you don't like Tates then find other transport ...MOAN MOAN MOAN

Reply Posted by Adrian on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 20:59
Colin I'm not complaining about drivers just the appalling "service"..you say to use another service..well I am..your attitude doesn't help..the less services your cowboy operate and the more unreliable the 96 and other tates buses are the more ppl will go elsewhere and subsidy reduced which will lead to job losses at tates..it is the most unreliable bus company I have used in over 25 years of working and travelling rot and from work

Reply Posted by Victoria on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 18:51
With regards to tates I use them regularly, as I travel on the 97 quite a lot, I have found most of the drivers quite cheerful, but as regards the standards of bus these could be vastly improved, as the have now moved from just being a community service to one that is a 'proper' bus service so needs to run like one and cannot really be given any slack as it was in the early days. Anotherthing that should be addressed is that the 1500 96/97 service is a 'hybrid' service of school children and fee pay passengers and needless to say once the bus gets full of school children it is very noisÅ·, I can see the financial sense for tates point of view but from a pass get point of view not good, also one day the bus was a smaller size thus had to wait 30 minutes before they could sort something out. Not good. School report needs major improvement.

Reply Posted by kay on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 07:39
Its ridiculas. Number 12 hardly shows... School kids push in front of other people that are there 1st. People dont move 4 prams...... N gettin kicked off 4 singin peppa pig to a 15month old bearn is pathetic.. druggys n alcoholics should b made to pay... Some bys drivers speed which people are scared for there life... That bus staion was the worst layout they could of done

Reply Posted by blueber on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 09:12
Tates 203 worst service in sth yorks who can we complain to and will they do anything ?

Reply Posted by Red Optimist on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 09:21
You can always call a cab, moan moan moan moan

Reply Posted by nicola on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 09:21
Totally agree with mike newton. I once witnessed a driver going passed the stop outside school so that all the elderly people at the stop had to walk up to the doors to get on. When an old lady said I didn't think you were going to stop, the driver replied so rude that he wasn't going to seeing as none of you put your arm out. Who the hell did he think he was speaking to people like that. Its not rocket science that when around 8 people are at a stop that only has a bus every hour or so. It is pretty likely those stood there are wanting the bus. But then again Colin the driver has just shown the true colours of tates.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 09:26
put your hand out, or I will drive past, it is not rocket science.

Reply Posted by nicola on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 09:29
Shame if that's the only control you have in life to bully old ladies

Reply Posted by ex tates driver on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 19:27
I used to work at tates, the problem with that place is that most drivers shifts are around 10hrs plus and they are on a lot less per hour than stagecoach or First...at the end of thier shift, the driver has to sweep the bus off as well. The buses are in really bad condition and a lot of the time, teatering on illegal. This is mainly why the drivers are cheesed off all the time. I was very lucky to get out when I did.

Reply Posted by ex tates driver on Wednesday October 8 2014 at 19:29
I used to work at tates, the problem with that place is that most drivers shifts are around 10hrs plus and they are on a lot less per hour than stagecoach or First...at the end of their shift, the driver has to sweep the bus off as well. The buses are in really bad condition and a lot of the time, teatering on illegal. This is mainly why the drivers are cheesed off all the time. I was very lucky to get out when I did.

Reply Posted by Mobilised on Thursday October 9 2014 at 00:09
I have a mobiltiy Bus pass due to my mental health, I am not allowed to drive a car, I wouldnt like to think that people see me getting on the bus practically physically fit, that i was a druggy or an alcoholic, I certainly am not, there are other reasons that people have a mobility bus pass other than drugs and alcohol. I am not saying thats not the only reason though, but dont judge until you have walked those shoes!

Reply Posted by Bilbo on Thursday October 9 2014 at 08:50
Well said. I have one too and it appears there is nothing wrong with me either, but having bad feet and Tendons held in place by screws and thread means walking long distance is painful and driving would be awkward.

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Thursday October 9 2014 at 09:16
I only ever catch a bus if I absolutely have to. My experience is that they are full of chavs either playing music too loud on their phones, or constantly swearing - or both. If I go into town on a Saturday it`s cheaper for me to drive than go by bus; more convenient and a damn site easier. I`m fortunate enough to have a car, and for those people that don`t you have my sympathies.

Reply Posted by DC on Thursday October 9 2014 at 17:29
I rarely use public transport due to past experience proving it to be unreliable and unpleasant. Going for a night out with friends recently we decided to take the bus rather than book a taxi assuming it would work out cheaper. The bus was late and the tickets to Wombwell from Town were about £3 each one way. Coming home the 4 of us shared a taxi for £10 that arrived on time and took us from door to door, no waiting outside and 2 separate drop off points. The service is of a low standard but the prices do not show it. I have been offered free tickets through work in a recent scheme but declined the gesture as the car is cheaper to run any massively more reliable.

Reply Posted by ODK on Wednesday October 15 2014 at 12:28
Not in defence of public transport, however you must have been mugged as its £2.00 one way from wombwell to town, or vice versa.

That being said, the busses in wombwell are laughable. Early, Late, sometimes 3 turn up at once, with the slack driver in front stopping to let more people on an already teetering on the edge of critically full bus, whilst the two behind drive a long with no passengers - easy journey eh lads? It makes me wonder if you all have a laugh and a joke at the driver who got the full bus this morning.

renationalise.

Reply Posted by K on Tuesday August 4 2015 at 12:09
shocking!! never on time. always either extremely early or extremely late! and most of the bus drivers are rude.