Stop Smoking Service Launches In Barnsley

Monday September 29 2014

A NEW stop smoking service has been launched in Barnsley.

Yorkshire Smokefree, which is run by South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, offers quitters the chance to choose support in person, on the phone or online.

Smokers in Barnsley can choose to access just one of the methods of support or all three to increase their chances of successfully quitting.

The service is free, flexible and run by NHS experts who have already helped thousands of people across Yorkshire to stop smoking.

Zoe Styring, service manager, said: "There are many reasons for you to quit smoking - not only is it beneficial to your health, you can also save thousands of pounds a year.

"Yorkshire Smokefree’s offer of tailored support to suit you makes it even easier for you to quit and make a positive change."

Reply Posted by anon on Monday September 29 2014 at 09:48
Waste of money. The majority of smokers are adults and they understand the health issues. Many have seen friends and family die with cancer,but it changes nothing. My own dad had throat cancer,had a terrible operation,had all the nasty treatment,and still died. It was terrible, but he asked time and time again for us to buy him some cigs. Pregnant women get pressure from all around,but many don't stop. Give the money spent on this service to one that will be more receptive. There are plenty.

Reply Posted by Miss X on Monday September 29 2014 at 10:37
Another one? So what's the one that's been advertising (no doubt at great expense) non stop in the Chronicle and on Dearne FM for the past two or more years? Why do we need three services all doing the same thing?

In this era of service cuts and redundancies, surely one stop-smoking service is enough. The money from the other two can be spent on something else. But no doubt we're about to be bombarded with even more stop-smoking ads, paid for by us.

Reply Posted by Ex-Smoker on Monday September 29 2014 at 11:24
The costs to you are recovered many times over by the saving to the NHS in treatment of smokers. The service does work as I can testify after 45+ years of addiction. The service is good value and will save YOU money but you are too ignorant and short-sighted to see this. Thank goodness people like you don't control our health service!

Reply Posted by Miss X on Monday September 29 2014 at 11:32
I've got nothing against the stop-smoking service! My objection is to the fact that we appear to have several. What's wrong with just having one? Why do the NHS need to set up another stop-smoking service that's competing with the existing one that's been advertised non-stop for years in Barnsley? It's baffling.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday September 29 2014 at 13:04
Well @ex-smoker, I was about to congratulate you on stopping smoking after 45 yrs until I got to the ignorant and short sided part of your post! Sounds like you need to chill and have a cuppa and a fag. They say stopping smoking makes people short tempered, it seems you still hold that side effect. I hope the NHS do save money due to these campaigns,but it must have cost thousands to treat my dad and he died, and all the while begging for us to buy him some more. It is a badaddiction., and even though you're somewhat aggressive I admire your will power.

Reply Posted by Ex-Smoker on Monday September 29 2014 at 11:51
It's not a competing service they are just pushing the on-line and telephone aspects of the service. Some people prefer not to be seen attending the stop smoking service, for their own reasons, so they are highlighting alternative methods of accessing the SAME service.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Tuesday September 30 2014 at 08:20
I quit the dreaded fag's just over 2 years on my own. Wasn't easy at first but as each day passed it got easier. Stop smoking if you want to but not because other's tell you to as you have more chance of succeeding. I feel so much happier and fitter now plus i don't waste hundreds of pound's a month on them.

Reply Posted by Give it up on Tuesday September 30 2014 at 20:03
20 yrs ago I was a smoker, I managed to quit one year later the worst fears of my life happened, I was told I had cancer of the lung, After a four hour operation my cancer was removed, now I still live with the after mass. Since then I have lost two more members of my family, one of those didn't smoke but both were diagnosed with lung cancer, sadly they weren't as lucky as myself and both died very young. If I had the information that the above post writes about it would have given me food for thought, although I am clear of cancer the thought is always with me. I can't tell someone not to smoke all I can tell them is that it kills, my breathing is wrecked because of this habit and any help to those out there who wants to quit gets my vote

Reply Posted by imforthesevice on Sunday October 5 2014 at 20:52
I am personally really happy that the service is expanding. There are many people who want to give up tobacco smoking but cannot spare the time from work etc to attend the support sessions. Online and telephone support could be a great thing. I have always said that smoking is a drug addition just like cocaine or other drugs and it should be completely banned. There is so much help and support to help people wean off hard core drugs and alcohol, programmes, medical treatement etc but not much for tobacco smokers. I would much prefer my money to go to those who want to quite a tobacoc drug habit and stay off it than spend millions on treating cocaine addicts only for them to walk out of a hospital and buy more drugs. I do smoke and want to give up so this service could change my life.

Reply Posted by Dan on Monday October 6 2014 at 14:27
ackerman you are so right they will only stop IFF they want to stop I Stopped seven years ago But still sometimes want a cig it doesn't go away. I won't ever have another though

ipso Regulated