Alarming Smoking Figures Revealed For Barnsley

Friday September 26 2014

BARNSLEY has one of the highest levels of adult smoking in the country.

Nearly a quarter of all adults in the town smoke, with its 23.6 per cent figure being the 46th highest average of all 324 local authorities.

This is also higher than the average for the Yorkshire and the Humber region (22.7 per cent), which has the highest prevalence of smoking for any region in the country.

Barnsley East MP Michael Dugher is backing the 'Stoptober' campaign run by Public Health England.

The campaign challenges people to quit smoking for 28 days in October.

He said: "Stoptober is a great campaign with fantastic resources available to help those who want to kick the habit.

"Smoking remains the largest cause of preventable illness and premature death, so it's concerning that there's a significantly high proportion of smokers in Barnsley.

"By stopping smoking for just 28 days you're five times more likely to stop all together."

Reply Posted by bundy on Friday September 26 2014 at 13:12
lots will be unemployed and going to food banks but can afford to smoke

Reply Posted by bit of sense on Friday September 26 2014 at 13:41
If people want to smoke thats up to them.

Reply Posted by Bit more sense on Friday September 26 2014 at 14:53
It IS worth reporting. Its not just the smokers that are harmed - last thing I want my kids to get is a lungful of second-hand smoke when walking through town but its all we seem to get. Town centre should be a no smoking zone altogether.

And yes, bundy is kind-of right (shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush though!) - my neighbours, for example, don't work, are on disability even though there is nothing wrong with them (at all, its not a "hidden" condition) and get free rent, council tax, food and everything else - what do they do, blow it on fags and booze and "chicken" nuggets for kids.

Reply Posted by Stop It Please on Friday September 26 2014 at 15:34
I was more shocked by the story that showed 600 Barnsley mums were still smoking last year when they were pregnant. Really selfish & reckless thing to do.

Reply Posted by Die young on Friday September 26 2014 at 15:41
My dad was a heavy smoker years ago. He died aged 54 of heart failure and emphysema. So carry on you idiots you will pay a high price in the end.

Reply Posted by yvonne on Friday September 26 2014 at 16:00
my mum died aged 88 years , smoked from early age like a chimney . drank more than enough, so what were you saying above...

Reply Posted by Die young on Friday September 26 2014 at 17:26
Seen plenty of young people dying of cancer love so get real and stop with the crap. Too late when you get the diagnosis. Anyway your funeral Yvonne.

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday September 26 2014 at 17:39
Lower taxes on tobacco are needed. The tobacco tax is a regressive tax that punishes the poorest for being addicted to the evil weed. The amount of money being sucked out of Barnsley by the tobacco tax is incredible. The poorest should not be paying tax.

High taxes on tobacco help reinforce the poverty that exists in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Golden Virginia on Friday September 26 2014 at 20:07
Not on your Nellie you crazy fool what about the profit I make fetching cigs back don't take all the pleasure away for all us retired folk

Reply Posted by me on Friday September 26 2014 at 17:39
Its peoples personal choice to smoke no matter what anyone does or says is not going to make any difference if the persob does not want to stop. Im a smoker I kno all the consequences but enjoy a cig. There are a lot worse things in the world. Im a considerate smoker, will not light up if kids r around or if ppl r eating near me. At the end of the day if the government succeed in getting everyone to quit then where r all these taxes going to b put? Tabacco is still a multi billion pound earner. So think about it this way smokers pay more tax tgan none smokers.

Reply Posted by Charles on Friday September 26 2014 at 18:26
How exactly do you work that out?

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Saturday September 27 2014 at 16:44
I chose to give up smoking 6 years ago, can't stand the smell of smoke now and a lot more money in my pocket too!

Reply Posted by blue sky on Saturday September 27 2014 at 20:21
Smoking is selfish dirty and harms more than the smoker. Smoking is a stupid thing to do. End of.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday September 27 2014 at 23:07
Tom. Are you for real ? What about the huge drain on the national health service caused by smoking related illnesses. As for Barnsley tax contribution, 90% of cigs smoked in Barnsley are dodgy smuggled or counterfeit with no duty paid!!!

Reply Posted by Golden Virginia on Saturday September 27 2014 at 23:19
Too right Fred sums this country up make it here send it abroad I get a couple of days in Belgium fetch some back keep smokin folks it's nearly Christmas I need all the candy I can get

Reply Posted by .... on Sunday September 28 2014 at 20:15
90% Richard!? I suppose that's another one of your amazing 'facts'.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday October 1 2014 at 08:48

To the poster that said the above. I do hope you aren't a car owner. I don't like to breath in the fumes from you car. I do hope you take this into account when you take you precious kids out. You probably are the type to drive them 200m to school.

Reply Posted by mick on Thursday October 2 2014 at 21:14
Given all the problems smoking cause I struggle to understand why its still a legal activity, however while it is legal it's the individual who has the right to choose wether or not to smoke

Reply Posted by Helen Bach on Thursday October 2 2014 at 22:08
Why is it that everyone wants to ban an activity that they don't do? The no 1 killer of people is still alcohol. It destroys health, family life as well as causes participants to act stupid. Don't believe it? Pop up to the hospital A&E on any weekend evening! How much do you think that costs? I put habitual drunks in the same category as druggies and smackheads. Both are costly to the taxpayer and a waste of space. I don't care if people smoke.....just keep your smoke away from me and I could not care less as you are not harming anyone else.

Reply Posted by Jay on Thursday October 2 2014 at 23:14
I stopped smoking about 2 months ago thanks to discovering the e cigs (proper ones) Gone from 18mg down to 6mg of nicotine soon to be on 0 nicotine and then just gotta kick the ecig all together. Its taken me like 8-10 weeks. The ecig broke for 2 days when i first started i went back on to cigs and is the worst thing i had to do ever, i craved my e cig back. if i could just get everyone to try a proper e cig no one would smoke real ones anymore, they are cheaper, you still get a proper hit on your chest and you get a nice vapour to taste blow smoke rings or do what you want with. ANYWAY having said all that, we are saving so much from not smoking per month it enabled us to use that money per month on paying for a nice new ford kuga 4x4 :D i see what i get for not smoking on my drive every morning its freaking ace!!!!

Reply Posted by jay on Thursday October 2 2014 at 23:17
just like to say we were on rolling tobacco spending about £5 a day between the 2 of us so just think how much i could have bought if i was on real ones? we would have been spending like £16 a day at least. £480 quid could have got me a new range rover evoque i recon :O!!!!!