One In Hospital After Three-Vehicle Collision

Monday August 4 2014

A YOUNG motorcyclist sustained life-threatening injuries after a collision in Barnsley.

At around 2.30pm on Friday, a black Citroen C4 car left a layby on the A6195 Dearne Valley Parkway and did a U-turn to head south towards Wombwell, as two motorcycles heading north towards Doncaster were overtaking a line of traffic.

There was a collision in the carriageway involving the Citroen and a Honda motorcycle, while the other motorcycle, a BMW, is believed to have lost control while taking avoiding action.

The Honda rider, a 21-year-old Sheffield woman, sustained multiple injuries and was airlifted to the Northern General Hospital. Her condition is described as life-threatening.

The Citroen driver, a 45-year-old Mexborough man, and the BMW rider, a 23-year-old Sheffield woman, both sustained minor injuries.

The road was closed for around two hours between Cathill and Broomhill as a result of the collision.

Anyone who witnessed the collision should call South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 615 of August 1.

Reply Posted by tanya on Monday August 4 2014 at 11:28
shouldn't be doing a u turn on a busy road like that and giving the motorbike rider life threatening injuries. Why not just carry on to the roundabout and turn round and go back???!!!

Reply Posted by Bill bailey on Monday August 4 2014 at 11:49
How many more accidents are going to happen on this road cos silly drivers think it's ok to do a u turn, hope the girls on the bikes are ok x

Reply Posted by Me on Monday August 4 2014 at 11:49
I love how some people play judge and jury when they know nothing.. The speed the bike was travelling at the speed of the car who hit who ect it's sad that a young woman is fighting for her life but asumtions get us nowhere

Reply Posted by ME on Friday September 5 2014 at 17:48
It's funny that you'd assume because I'm a bike I'd be speeding, that was a 60mph road and we were filtering at less than 30mph. So I'm on crutches for the foreseeable future but at least I'm still here, keep an eye out for bikes people!

Reply Posted by Just saying on Monday August 4 2014 at 11:54
Yes your right shouldn't be doing u turns if the roads are busy. But all so states that the biker was over taking a line of traffic more than likely breaking the speed limit. I'm not sticking up for the driver but people always slate drivers. A lot of bikers ride recklessly by over taking cars at double the speed limit and bikers regular brake the speed limit and make dangerous and reckless decisions. I myself take precautions when bikes r over taking me like moving in closer the edge of the road so they have safe passage. Hope the woman makes a full recovery

Reply Posted by Beki on Monday August 4 2014 at 12:07
Stupid man! Shouldn't have been doing a U turn, and for those who says it's the bikers fault, well it's not! I'm a biker myself a know that we don't sit in traffic, and I know these women wouldn't have been breaking the speed limit whilst over taking in traffic!

Reply Posted by fellow rider on Monday August 4 2014 at 12:38
Bikers always get the blame when car drivers see you coming and still pull out i get it at least twice a day while on my bike and its not through me speeding its the attitude of drivers. I also drive and when i see a bike ill wait because i cant judge there speed. Wish people would stop blaming bikers all the time especially when its obviously drivers fault for doing a u turn where you shouldnt

Reply Posted by sharonbeeeee on Monday August 4 2014 at 12:49
Regardless of whether the biker was speeding or not, doing a uturn on that road - or any other 60mph road - is just stupid

Reply Posted by wilf on Monday August 4 2014 at 12:55
a friend saw the accident bikers were not speeding lorry driver and car driver at fault why would anyone do a u turn on a very busy road when there are roundabouts at each end two minutes away to safely turn around. Hope biker gets well

Reply Posted by J on Monday August 4 2014 at 13:12
Need to ask why the car driver was doing a u turn when there was a round about at each end of the road I hope the driver is dealt with correctly & not sent on a stupid driver improvement course

Reply Posted by my point on Monday August 4 2014 at 15:31
Is there any signs saying not to do a u turn? And bikers and car drivers are as bad as each other so dont just blame 1 by the way wishin a speedy recovery for the biker

Reply Posted by amy beckett on Monday August 4 2014 at 19:00
a few year ago the exact same thing happened on this stretch of road and the biker did not survive, i am a car driver and have respect for careful bike riders and car drivers alike which ever way you look at it there are bad car drivers and bikers and until idiots stop being idiots on the road this will continue to happen. hope the lady biker makes a good recovery.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 09:49
Best wishes to the biker hope she recovers soon and no the driver shouldnt have done a u-turn its just lazy, not knowing the facts I can't comment on the bikers speed as I wasnt there but I don't agree and never have that bikers should overtake traffic, we all have to go the speed limit so why shouldnt they. Yes if the road is clear I overtake a vehicle then carry on at the speed limit if they're going under it but bikers that overtake when theyre on the brow of a hill or blind bend are risking their loves as well as mine and ibe seen that happen over the last few days, also when bikes overtake then carry on at speed is not on.just because they can get past traffic doesnt mean its allowed and it annoys the hell out of me, so I dont move over, they can stay behind me like I have to stay behind the traffic.

Reply Posted by Bob on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 10:09
OK, a witness has said that the bikes were not speeding, no need to generalise because you once saw someone doing something wrong. Nothing wrong with u turn and nothing wrong with overtaking. Both actions should done with care and clearly were not. Life is the important bit here.

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 11:00
It says in the write up the bikers were overtaking so the person who did the u turn was doing so when the road wasn't clear so could have caused an accident with someone else hope the girl gets well soon.

Reply Posted by Aly on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 11:18
The same thing nearly happened last week to my daughter and her boyfriend, they were driving down that road when an elderly couple did a u turn out of the layby my daughters boyfriend hac to slam his brakes on hard to avoid hitting them , the elderly driver reacted by shouting and giving rude hand signals at them as though it was their fault !!! My daughter an boyfriend were travelling at 50 mph an just managed to stop if they had been doin 60mph I could be telling a different story , there needs to be signes up saying NO U TURNS !!!!!!

Reply Posted by whats the facts on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 12:56
This road like most UK roads is not wide enough to do a U Turn without dipping into the layby. It is a 60 mph road and a busy trunk road for most parts of the day. It is only a short stretch of road with a roundabout at each end 2 mins away maximum.... The driver was quite local and would have known this fact. Remember that a motorway is only 10 mph slower. So was doing a U Turn really that wise and did the driver really have any concern for other road users that day?

Reply Posted by Steve H on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 14:13
I've been on rides with both of the girls involved in this incident and can honestly say they are safe, steady riders. It sickens me that this has happened to people I know.

I live nearby and the number of times I’ve seen people trying to turn in that stretch of road is ridiculous. It takes less than a minute in either direction to go to the roundabout and turn safely.

It’s just a shame that the driver will just get a slap on the wrist and won’t have to account for his actions.

Reply Posted by dawn on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 16:31
People are very fast at saying bikers are speeding when most of time they are not just a pear to be as a biker and car driver I encounter more car drivers that drive like prats and put other road users at risk than I do bikers , but when it includes a bike they are looked at as being in the wrong no matter how clear it is , it could be 100 percent the car vault but no one would believe that which is wrong the fact of the matter in this case is it was not safe to do a u turn nor to overtake so all parties are wrong.

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshinking on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 09:01
There is a lesson to be learnt every time we drive, Proceed with caution, Never tailgate. read the road ahead. And last of all, always drive as if you have a new baby as a passenger! I am still learning how to be a safe driver, passed my test 20 years ago.

Reply Posted by Jade on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 21:32
I was the one to call the ambulance for this awful accident as i witnessed the whole thing and my mum was first to her and carried out first aid.. The girls wernt speeding they were simply filtering through slow moving traffic.. Awful incident to have witnessed. Thinking of the girl in hospital every day since... Get well soon!!

Reply Posted by Ellie on Thursday August 7 2014 at 12:27
Thank you so much Jade for helping my friend out in the accident, I am very grateful for your help.

Reply Posted by Shona on Friday September 5 2014 at 17:55
Thank you Jade to you and your mum, both of your actions helped make sure that I'm still here today! Recovering well and slowly getting on my feet so a big thanks for your concern!!

ipso Regulated