Stagecoach Asks Motorists To Try Public Transport

Tuesday July 29 2014

STAGECOACH has hit the streets in the Dearne to encourage motorists to leave the car at home and try public transport.

Wearing company branding and armed with colourful placards, the Stagecoach team were out and about meeting the public and highlighting the bonuses of the special 22X route between Rotherham and Barnsley, including service frequency and value for money ticket offers.

The 22X service - which runs from Rotherham to Barnsley, calling off at Manvers, Wath and Wombwell - was introduced last year following customer feedback.

Households along the route this month received leaflets about the service through the door, while Stagecoach staff were also in shopping areas and car parks chatting to people about catching the bus.

Paul Lynch, managing director of Stagecoach Yorkshire, said: "This campaign was about encouraging those who travel by car to give the bus a try.

"It's more economical and results in less pollution and better air quality."

Are you tempted to leave the car at home and try public transport? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Luke on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 15:46
I would love to use buses but they are never on time and most of the time late.. Now if there was a fast bus similar to a fast train that only stops at certain points maybe I would try but other than that car all the way.

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 15:47
The cheapest return fare for me to get to town from Cudworth is a £4 dayrider ticket, I can drive my 2.5 V6 car cheaper than that - and park for free on a weekend. My in-laws live in Sheffield and they pay £1 from Woodhouse Mill to Hillsborough - with Stagecoach. It seems we are once again subsidising Sheffield`s transport, the same as our council tax was used to help pay for the Supertram that never came to Barnsley. I`ll stick with the car thanks.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 16:22
My daughter works at cortonwood so I have to drive her to and from as there are no buses that go anywhere near highgate and I wouldn't want her catching a bus home at 11pm when she finishes.I had to go pick my son up from the bus station yesterday as the driver wanted to charge him 3.20 bus fare with a mi card he only had 1.50 on him its only supposed to be 70p.

Reply Posted by wiggsy. w. on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 17:06
Errm... so is there something new? We know all about buses, thank you. They've been around since before any of us were born. We are free to make our own choices about what we do with our lives and, to cut through the façade, we are free to do what we want with OUR MONEY, which in my humble opinion, is the real TARGET of this exercise. Have a nice day. :-)

Reply Posted by muffinman on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 21:13
i'd try buses anytime lets see can I have one out side my house on Friday to take me to Doncaster general for 10 and pick me up around 11 please.And bring me home calling in at morrisons and asda and dinner at whetherspoons on the way back please is that how it works because that's how works when I use my car

Reply Posted by iam against buses on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 22:09
who wants to catch a bus they dirty. expensive. driven by arrogant people who pull out on you any time and believe they are correct ban them off the roads. we all get around better

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday August 1 2014 at 09:02
When can we have better disable friendly busses on the streets of Barnsley instead of the crap that we have at the moment,no invesment at all forgot its only Barnsley isn't it.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday August 1 2014 at 18:11
There are some seriously smelly people in the bus station. I avoid the place. I have a bus pass but will drive into town rather than mingle with the great unwashed.

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday August 1 2014 at 21:57
As somebody else has pointed out, the car can often be cheaper than the bus. some bus journeys have fares which exceed £1 per mile. And that is for a 2mile journey, not travelling just one stop.
Buses are ok, if you are able to claim travel expenses, but if it's your own money, it often makes sense for you to either walk or cycle, and sometimes even for you to drive.

Reply Posted by T C on Saturday August 2 2014 at 10:35
@sarah the mi card fare is 40p the only reason why a driver would try charging more is if the mi is so badly damaged/ faded n the driver is unsure if the mi card belongs to the person using it or your kid is telling porkies

Reply Posted by sarah on Saturday August 2 2014 at 17:10
The mi card is 2 months old nothing wrong with it, it is 100% his and no he wasn't telling porkies as his friends mum was there when it happened and offered to lend him the money but he said no he'd rather walk than get in a bus with a dishonest driver. I said 70p as that's supposed to be the maximum charge for a child without a card which he has with his photo on.

Reply Posted by T C on Saturday August 2 2014 at 23:18
The maximum fare without a mi card or any form of bus pass is the full adult price aged 11to 16. But seen as your son had his mi card then god knows what the driver was thinking. Maybe you should conplain because trust me they will follow your complaint up

Reply Posted by sarah on Sunday August 3 2014 at 08:34
TC with the experiences ive had with the customer service at stagecoach its not worth the hassle. We have to deal with the rawmarsh lot as it was the 218 and from speaking to them regarding another matter we may as well have been talking to a dead fish they are useless,thanks anyway.

Reply Posted by T C on Sunday August 3 2014 at 11:37
Did you deal with them direct? Or go thru the main head office at barnsley? If you go thru head office then your ccomplaint will be dealt with properly but if its Rawmarsh depot then there's more chance of it being brushed aside

Reply Posted by T C on Sunday August 3 2014 at 11:41
01226 202555 is the main head office number n tell them you want to log a complaint n it will be sorted

Reply Posted by sarah on Sunday August 3 2014 at 11:50
They always pass us to rawmarsh as its there bus apparently my daughter was attacked by the morons in the bus station last year and the main barnsley office were just as bad when we wanted a little bit of help. I can't wait till they're old enough to get their own cars I know itl be expensive but we won't have these problems plus the 218 is supposed to stop at the end of our road and never does so the sooner they stop using them the better. Thanks anyway its a pity you couldn't be at the end of the phone you sound a lot more helpful than those that are paid to.

Reply Posted by wiggsy w. on Tuesday August 5 2014 at 00:30
Sarah, write to:-

The Operations Director
Stagecoach Yorkshire
4 Eldon Arcade
Barnsley
S70 2JP

This person is above Rawmarsh and Barnsley offices. State your case, and say you've approached both depots first, but not got any satisfaction, and are not happy with the treatment you've had from Stagecoach. If you know times, dates, bus numbers, (i.e.218 at whatever time and place it was), any witness details, just a friend will do if they were there, include as much detail as possible that might help the director to sort something out.
To anyone else reading this, please don't try this unless you've been through the other channels first. This is a last resort. This director is busy running all depots in Stagecoach Yorkshire Area.

Reply Posted by Pete on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 19:21
Mi Card fare - 40p
Student card fare - 70p
No card fare - full fare!
(South Yorkshire)

Teach kids to carry their passes. If they forget them, they pay full fare or walk. If OAPs or the disabled forget their passes, they pay full fare too. Stop wiping your teenagers' arses and make them have some responsibility. No pass = full fare or walk or use credit on phone to call mummy or daddy to pick them up. They never have more than 70p but have plenty of credit on their phones.
Don't slag the drivers off. It's not their fault your kid forgot his or her pass. Tell them to keep their pass with their phones cos they never forget them!

Reply Posted by wiggsy w. on Thursday August 7 2014 at 00:05
You are doing the decent drivers no favours talking that way. If you're at Stagecoach Barnsley then you must be new, 'cos any driver called Pete that I know there, past or present, wouldn't talk the way you do. Maybe you're from another bus company?
To be fair to you, it is a minefield dealing with kids. Drivers have to stick to the rules to be legal. The kids have to have valid tickets and passes to be legally covered for travel. Each fares activates travel insurance which protects the passenger and the company.
On the other hand, how many drivers, over the years, have been pulled in for not showing enough leniency (by bending a rule a little bit) when there has been a problem. Regardless of what it says in the handbook, the company I worked for, for a very long time, would often seem to side with the passenger against the driver, even when the driver had abided by the rules and appeared to be correct. Public image is a weird thing.
Even then, there is confusion from within for the drivers. A supervisor will say one thing, a ticket inspector another, a manager something else, the rule book something different again. The drivers can't win. It is an insane and unjust job, and the drivers are the ones who have to try and stay cool and drive a large vehicle containing human lives safely in todays traffic.

Reply Posted by Danny on Thursday August 7 2014 at 07:55
Catch a bus sum1 havin a laugh, turn up late, rob your eyes out, yet fares r still going up, I can do tarn return, car park on about £3, how much on bus at least £4 and I can go car when feel like it, and ant got to walk to a bus station wats full of young kids, runnin about 15yrs+, so car wins hands down, try droppin prices and maybe ppl mite try public crap,

Reply Posted by marc on Thursday August 7 2014 at 11:34
Sure Stagecoach...Just tell me again which bus do I use to get from Mapplewell to Royston or from Mapplewell to Kexborough.....Huh what's that? You cut those areas off from each other for what reason?

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday August 7 2014 at 19:05
I'm so glad I taught my son to read as some people clearly cannot HE HAD HIS PASS ON HIM it is not his fault he came across a dodgy driver WITH WITNESSES to be honest I can't be bothered to take it any further as if the staff are like some on here I'd be banging my head against a brick wall.

Reply Posted by Sam on Thursday August 7 2014 at 21:33
Sarah, I would suggest your son and his witness are telling fibs as it's £3.40 to Highgate, not £3.20. The driver wouldn't have said £3.20 if the machine clearly said £3.40 as he would have been 20p out of pocket by doing that, which hardly makes him dodgy. Generous yes. Dodgy no.

Reply Posted by Observer on Friday August 8 2014 at 07:19
I went to wombwell a few days ago. Im from cudworth. I got a £4 dayrider. Which took me from where i live to town. Then to wombwell. And back again. I think its good value. After all i could iave spent all day on the bus and gone anywhere all day. Think of the clst of a taxi? Also yes the fuel price mentioned in above posts. Dont forget kn the car its not a case of "just" the fuel costs theres tax. Insurance etc Incidentally it was the 22x i used. Kn the return to the bus station. We got off and the link to cudworth was there to hop on.

Reply Posted by Gail townsend on Saturday August 9 2014 at 16:42
I am disgusted !!!! We.live in Dodworth and they have stopped busses going past the top of my estate , so my 12 year old and many other school children now have a 30 min walk to catch one at 7.30 in the morning to Penistone school . The walk is good for them yes, but not at that.time of the day especially in winter when it's dark . Hence I now take her in the car , therefore stagecoach have have prevented us from using public transport . Even after many email and.phone calls, their response was to say that the busses were not financially viable !!!!! Even though they were full when they arrived to school.every morning !!!! Yet here they are encouraging other areas to.take up.public transport . What an hypocritical and uncaring company

Reply Posted by Observer on Saturday August 9 2014 at 17:05
Let's be fair more people may use busses if ...
1: Cheaper fairs, example - mi cards free again,
2: More friendly drivers - there's only 30% that seem friendly enough and not morngy
3: If they actually run to time, either come too early or late one behind the other.

ipso Regulated