Objections Grow Over Proposed Energy Park

Friday July 25 2014

OVER 200 people have sent letters of objection to the council over plans to create an £80 million renewable energy park.

Peel Environment's proposals - which could create up to 230 jobs from start to finish - will generate enough energy to power up to 55,000 homes.

Campaigner Ann Stringfellow, of Great Houghton, says she was aware of 200 letters of objection and said there were probably "many more".

She has also collected at least 150 signatures on a petition protesting the proposals, which will include an anaerobic digestion facility to recover energy from waste food.

Ann fears it will cause smells for surrounding villages including Darfield, Grimethorpe and Thurnscoe.

Reply Posted by frog on Friday July 25 2014 at 10:41
I wonder if the lady complained when the coal mines and coalite were operating? We need jobs in our area and this is a great opportunity for our kids to train and develop and get up to speed with technology of the future. Like it our not we all enjoy the convenience of switching on a light when its dark and this is one of the ways of making up the shortage on power and it is what keeps our electricity bills down. This is not new technology and is being used in europe with no issues where they enjoy all the benefit of cheap power and more money in the pocket.

Reply Posted by blue sky on Friday July 25 2014 at 15:09
I think that the main issue is that this has been brought in on the back of the wind farm, which had been agreed to. It has almost been masked and brought in on the quiet.
Plus we are decades past the pits so why bring those up yet again? We are entitled to have a nice clean area around us. Such places are never built in Cawthorne but places like Darfield and Grimethorpe have to lump it. Why is that fair?
Btw there are loads of jobs advertised and the jobs generated will not go to locals who have no jobs already or qualifications.

Reply Posted by car poluter on Saturday July 26 2014 at 17:33
While the transport system in this country reies on diesel petrol your health is always at risk.

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday July 26 2014 at 17:14
Get it built more projects like this and wind nuclear and shale gas the less reliant we are on other countries fuels the better and then we will have no fear of being cut off because we have said the wrong thing or upset there politics religion or human rights policy's and coal still will in the future have a part to play the politicians knows this if it lays in the ground for two hundred years it still can be extracted and used

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday July 26 2014 at 17:46
So you think "fracking" is the answer then?

Will fracking "really" lower bills?

Who will really benefit from "fracking"?

Fracking is an ecological disaster waiting to happen and the only beneficiaries of fracking will be rich industrialist Tory-ites whom the Tories granted fracking licences to.
Cuadrilla anyone?

Wind - Expensive
Nuclear - Even more expensive

They tell us coal pollutes the atmosphere with sulphur dioxide, doesn't stop America and China being the major users of coal does it?

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday July 26 2014 at 18:55
Couldn't care less about the next fourth years I shouldn't think I would be around then fracking is coming I don't give a t--a what you think stevo you are no concern of mine build the nuclear power stations frac to the earth cracks as long as I've got fuel I don't give a s-- t about the rest

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday July 26 2014 at 18:58
If you are going to leave any constructive comments on this forum then please do so in English.

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday July 26 2014 at 19:38
Stevo why should I give to hoots for your lob sided opinions when you don't give a dam about Barnsley in your post you no which one and then you go on about how bad fracking is you are a egotistical person who hasn't a clue of the true value of this planet

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday July 26 2014 at 19:55
I care passionately about the village I live in and to be brutally honest couldn't really give a monkeys about the town centre as to be honest I only go in three shops that cater to my particular needs.
If a shop hasn't got something in that I want then it means either travelling to Meadowhall or other cities.
I would rather travel rather than buy from the interweb and on the contrary to my previous post, I DO support using local shops.
If you really want to know the shops I visit in town then they are as follows:
Ghia Menswear
Debut Records
Originals footwear

I care that much about my village I volunteer for two community groups in my (precious) spare time and was instrumental in setting up the community garden in our village.

You may have also seen my incessant ramblings about the proposed development in my village on another post?

As for the egotistical comment, the beauty of this country is that we have the right to free speech and if something is worth saying then its better said.
Or are you like the multitude of people in our town that just accept everything and them moan when its too late?

As for fracking, don't know if you are aware but the fracking sites and the technology they use could ultimately mean that they could be drilling right under your house.

The Tories have just enshrined this piece of legislation into law now so expect one of the fracking companies to be drilling under your house anytime soon.

Scary prospect isn't it?

What you mean you didn't know?

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Sunday July 27 2014 at 07:28
Does this mean the value of property that's fracked under will loose one hell of a lot of value oh deary me all those years paying the interest then the mortgage just to get tracked.

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday July 26 2014 at 20:09
Your public duties know no bounds underneath your just a thug you can see it in your posts fraking for gas will disrupt the water table this new 80 million project will have pollution restriction and the only thing that will be conning out of the chimneys is hot air a bit like you

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday July 26 2014 at 20:22
STEVEO

Can you please educate me, Surley the NCB or whatever guise they where in, mining for coal directly under a good number of homes in Barnsley ? How does this differ from facking ?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday July 27 2014 at 19:33
Did the NCB drill 5 METRES below your house foundations?

Tha

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday July 26 2014 at 20:51
Did I say anything at all about the NCB gawed but now you ask they destroyed our rivers gave our family' members lung and heart disease destroyed our landscapes and excepted no responsibility what's up Stevo are you afraid you are going to lose money on your little old house is that the reason you have gone all green

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday July 26 2014 at 23:34
Oliver C

Don't insult my intelligence, I know the difference. I was replying to STEVEO, stating the being permitted to dig, tunnel or mine under your home it's not a new thing only applying to fracking, It's gone on for years even under the Barnsley's beloved Labour Party's rule!!

Reply Posted by True red on Sunday July 27 2014 at 11:39
So Fred and stevo you are not really bothered about fraking or the new renewable energy park as long as its not built or drilled near your houses and it doesn't put you in negative equity but its alright for the rest of the Barnsley area talk about selfish you two really do take the biscuit hiding under the guise of echo warriors to get your own agenda across

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday July 27 2014 at 19:52
True red,, So you assume I have a mortgage on my house ? Sorry to disappoint but my home is paid for!!
We need to find a sustainable power resource as coal and gas will run dry, then how am I going to run my 4x4 !!

Reply Posted by sustainable on Sunday July 27 2014 at 21:10
Just pipe steveo up the wind that he produces will power owt

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday July 27 2014 at 19:37
No I am not bothered about fracking in any way shape or form as I personally believe it is an ecological disaster waiting to happen.

I actually think the renewable energy park is a fantastic idea making electricity of waste food.

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Monday July 28 2014 at 09:25
Fred and Steveo for some unknown reason some one on this post has been using my post name Oliver Cromwell you can tell by the way they have attacked others on here to the person that is doing this may I say imitation is the best form of flattery and get a life

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday July 28 2014 at 14:58
Why not build it in Cawthorne there's plenty of room for it there.???

Reply Posted by Nicola on Tuesday July 29 2014 at 12:02
Whatever the rights and wrongs are of this energy type of people's thoughts on it, you can't deny that these sorts of projects would never be considered for areas such as Cawthorne and the likes and I think that's a very worthy point. They will stick them where they think they can ride rough shod over the residents! Interesting to read other people's comments on lower energy bills etc. but firstly, I'll believe that when I see it! This is "Great" Britain we're talking about here...so all savings will end up in the pockets of these company's fat cats so lets not pretend that we're going to see any benefit to that whatsoever. I also wonder if the people saying they're happy for it to be built would feel the same if it was being built in view of their house so that every morning they would open their curtains to the monstrosity and open their windows to the smell and still be able to say well that's okay because think about the jobs in the area and the possibility of cheap fuel! I think not!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday July 29 2014 at 15:43
Fracking wont lower peoples gas and leccy bills end of.
The only thing that fracking will bring is and ecological disaster on an unprecedented scale and MASSIVE PROFITS for the fracking companies doing the fracking.
The Tories have already decided to give their rich industrialist Tory chums the licenses to frack (Cuadrilla again anyone?) and surprisingly some energy companies, so DEFINATELY NO REDUCTION IN PRICE TO THE CONSUMER!

So it is going to happen whether we like it or not.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Tuesday July 29 2014 at 12:22
I listened to a phone in show on Radio 5 live yesterday on my way to work. There was a Friends of the earth representative and also the head of Energy UK (spokes group for the big 5) . The FOE spokes person was very clear on what would happen and the fact that the savings would not be passed on to the consumer and that it would a few years before the benefit (any) would be passed on.
The Energy UK spokes person was asked about lower bills and she never answered, the 'line' was it would benefit the UK and the economy.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Tuesday July 29 2014 at 12:53
Exactly my point dedatodd! There's no way on this earth that the savings are going to be passed on to us so those people peddling that argument are kidding only themselves! I'll grant them the fact that it will create jobs, but that would be the case wherever it was built. So then why not build it out of the way of neighbouring villages who WILL suffer the adverse affects of noise, increased traffic, smells and not to mention the impact on the landscape and detrimental affect to house prices. I'd love to hear from anyone on here who is from one of these neighbouring villages and who will directly look onto and be down wind of it who is actually IN favour of this being built. *prepares for silence*

Reply Posted by Stinky on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 22:39
The last time I drove through Thurnscoe, Darfield & Crimethorpe, it stank anyway. There are other destitute eyesore sites within the borough that it could be placed: Royston, Wombwell, Cudworth etc, put it in any of those holes.

Reply Posted by cuddy on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 22:44
S,cuse me! Cudworth is very nice thank you Stinky! I know cos I live there! Where do you live???

Reply Posted by Stinky on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 23:10
Give over! It's a right hell-hole, like Wombwell. Drugs, idiots, gangsters & their cronies.

Reply Posted by cuddy on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 23:14
You're talking rubbish. Cudworth,s smashing. Where do you live?

Reply Posted by Stinky on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 23:19
The pubs are poor & full of retards & Grimethorpe folk, half the kids are on smack, graffiti everywhere, litter, Darfield Rd, Cardboard City, etc.
Silkstone, better.

Reply Posted by Gerald on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 22:19
When the Pits were open the rivers were orange wi' ochre watter, there was nowt alive in 'em, subsidence was rife, there were muck stacks iv'ry where like boils on your arse, there were minor tremors when old workings collapsed and there were thousands of blokes risking their lives underground...

Fracking is a couple of temporary buildings, a temporary well head, possible risk of contamination to ground water (our drinking watter comes from't moors, not aquifers like darn south...), there won't be ochre watter being pumped out into't Dearne...
Alreyt, it'll never employ as many folk as't pits did but it's a damned sight safer and cleaner than't pits ivver were...

Reply Posted by Frankie on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 23:30
Gerald you're living in dreamland cocker. There will be zero local jobs and maximum local disruption. If they even think about fracking anywhere around old mine workings you'll have sinkholes that the US could only have nightmares about. Whole villages could disappear when the "bedrock" they are built upon washes away in the same way that tidal erosion undermines coastal cliffs. There is no justification for fracking except for the massive profits to be made by the companies with licences and the nice consultation fees and directorships that will come the way of retiring MPs for their unquestioning support of those said companies.

Reply Posted by Dixie on Friday August 8 2014 at 10:14
The bottom line is that as has been stated, fracking is an environmental disaster waiting to happen!
We should all be looking for more clean, ecological methods of producing energy i.e harnessing wind & water technologues, recycling the unbelievable amount of waste as a species we produce and seemingly expect no repercussions from!
How people love to moan about wind farms and other ecological methods of energy production! At the end of the day, would you rather ecological methods were found or that your house was swallowed into a sink hole or a gas pocket blew it up because the fracking came too close to it or perhaps or would you prefer you & generations to come live in the dark & cold because basically no-one gave a rats ass about the planet!!!
Mankind as a species needs to damn well wake up!!