Alarming Smoking Figures For Town's Pregnant Women Revealed

Wednesday July 9 2014

ALMOST a quarter of women in Barnsley were classed as smokers at the time of giving birth.

Figures from the Health and Social Care Information Centre showed 23 per cent of women who gave birth at Barnsley Hospital over the last year smoked.

From April 1 of 2013 to March 31 this year, a total of 2,748 women gave birth.

Of those, 632 considered themselves to be smokers at the time of having their baby.

What do you think to this? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Red on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 14:06
it's not great, is it? i think it's selfish to continue smoking whilst pregnant.

Reply Posted by Nini on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 15:55
I have 4 children and smoked through each pregnancy. My kids were all a healthy weight and size at birth. They have all been healthy throughout growing up to the point that at the age of 17 when one went to the doctors they had no record of her. They are between the ages of 33 and 26 and each are still very healthy. 2 now smoke and 2 don't. I wish they would stop blaming everything bad on smoking!! It isn't always the case.

Reply Posted by fred on Thursday July 10 2014 at 15:52
"I wish they would stop blaming everything bad on smoking!! It isn't always the case. "

So lung cancer isn't bad then ? and shouldn't be blamed on smoking, or people smoking around others ?

Reply Posted by Facepal, on Monday July 14 2014 at 10:11
*Facepalm*

Reply Posted by Becki on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 17:16
Extremely selfish! Boils my blood when I see pregnant women waddling through town with a fag hanging out of their mouth, you wouldn't give a baby or even a child a cigarette, so why smoke when you're pregnant?!

Reply Posted by frum tarn on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 17:19
Anyone smoking while pregnant is quite simply extremley selfish and has little respect for their unborn child. You do anything you can whilst pregnant to limit any kind of risk to their health. Nini, your argument is riddiculous, its like saying i crossed the road with my eyes shut and that didnt harm me, maybe not you but certainly it will others. How hard is it to just stop for 9 months for the health of your baby. Weak, end of.

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 21:27
nini ur actin like its sumthing t b proud of walkin about preg n smokin is disgustin and u smokin while preg 4 times is beyond a joke if u ct do it for 9 months then u dt care about that child at al

Reply Posted by toni on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 22:09
Iv 2 children n iv never smoked not even tried I believe that smokers should give up smokin for ther unborn baby my worst pet hate is smoking in cars with children n ppl smoking while others r eatin

Reply Posted by Jord on Thursday July 10 2014 at 09:00
@nini - Just because your children turned out fine doesn't make it ok. You didn't know what possible problems your children were going to end up with. Lucky for you they were fine - but you still put them at risk in the first place. Not good at all.

Reply Posted by T on Thursday July 10 2014 at 11:02
Mingers

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday July 13 2014 at 20:57
Saw a woman in her dressing gown outside the hospital having a cigarette the other day. So had obviously waddled down from maternity ward - made me feel sick.
Just as bad are parents who let their children get sunburnt. Another crazy, selfish thing to do!

Reply Posted by Nic on Monday July 14 2014 at 12:30
So typical of Barnsley Slappers. Scum dragging up more scum. We have an idiots' breeding epidemic.