Barnsley Birthing Centre Opens

Tuesday May 27 2014

New decor in the ward New decor in the ward

A NEW birthing centre for Barnsley mums has opened in Barnsley Hospital after a seven-month renovation programme.

Barnsley Hospital’s newly renovated labour ward is a new seven-bed facility, which takes the place of the old labour ward.

Three of the seven birthing rooms contain birthing pools, with modern décor, adjustable mood lighting and an en-suite toilet and shower room.

There is also a dedicated room for bereaved parents, the Rainbow Room, where parents who have sadly lost their baby can spend precious time with their child.

The Rainbow Room, which is supported by Barnsley Hospital Charity, is located away from the birthing rooms and has a sound proof door and walls to protect the privacy of the family.

Sue Gibson, Head of Midwifery, said: “We are absolutely delighted with Barnsley Birthing Centre, it is a bright, welcoming environment for women to give birth in. We have state-of-the-art equipment and facilities which will help us provide the best possible care for mums and new babies.”

Local company C.D Potter and Sons carried out the work.

Reply Posted by toni on Wednesday May 28 2014 at 08:25
Ward sounds lovely soon be put to good use I had my son last november

Reply Posted by me on Saturday May 31 2014 at 21:44
I still wouldn't trust them delivering my baby

Reply Posted by Katie on Sunday June 1 2014 at 09:55
I was on the new labour ward on Thursday were I gave birth to a baby girl! They've done an amazing job, it looks fantastic and so much bigger. I had a better experience this time than I did 3years ago and that's because of the staff and also the new labour suit! The staff there are still brilliant, I'd go back to barnsley hospital if I had another baby! There will always be negative comments on here from some1. But atleast they've made the labour suit 100x better

Reply Posted by Dave on Monday June 2 2014 at 13:13
My wife gave birth in there on Friday night and all I can say is that the rooms and the staff were first rate. Couldn't fault them in any way whatsoever.

Reply Posted by Kpo on Monday June 2 2014 at 14:04
I had a little boy in March and was looking forward to using the new labour Ward as I really wanted a water birth but the date of completion was set back. I'm glad it's finished now but gutted I didn't get to use it.

Reply Posted by Kpo on Monday June 2 2014 at 14:08
I'd like to add that the staff were amazing Emma delivered my son and I can not fault her at all. She was supportive and really knew her stuff. A head midwife came to assist me at the end and could tell I was having a contraction before I could! Emma even wrote me a lovely little note on my discharge papers. The new suite is just a plus for an already amazing set of staff.

Reply Posted by Mrs Smith on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 13:13
Very nice, but a few flaws. The "mood lighting" strip is behind the bed (the woman cannot see it if she'd on the bed - not even on all floors without cricking her neck) The mood lighting should have been on another wall. The rooms are quite narrow and the bed is still the main focus. It would be nice to see some soft furnishings (soft plastic covered birthing chairs, support drapes and bean bags etc).....I was expecting it to be more de medicalised in its setting tbh.

Reply Posted by Mrs Smith on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 13:19
The baby station (used to resusate babies) is on the opposite end of the room. It would be nicer for new mums to have the station nearer where she can see her baby

Reply Posted by mel on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 21:25
''bed is still the main focus" bloody hell, lets give them a flat screen tv and instead of watching his wife give birth to their child he can watch football, maybe if ya ask really nice they might throw in a mini bar lol ;)

ipso Regulated