Primary School's Standards Slip

Wednesday May 21 2014

Ofsted Ofsted

A BARNSLEY school has slipped from being a good primary to one requiring improvement in all areas.

Wellgate Primary, in Mapplewell, was inspected by Ofsted last month with improvements required in pupils' overall achievement, quality of teaching, behaviour and safety.

A report said overall achievement at the school needs improving as last year standards reached by pupils at the end of year six were lower than they should have been, given their starting points.

It also says attainment in writing is lower than in maths and reading. This is because pupils have too few opportunities to write longer pieces of work or to write in a range of subjects.

Reply Posted by Leavi on Wednesday May 21 2014 at 17:08
Ahaha oh my... I went to that primary school and left 4 - 5 years ago.. I've got to admit the lack of longer pieces of work will not benefit the students at all as it will give them a shock when they're doing their GCSE's.

Reply Posted by Hayley on Wednesday May 21 2014 at 20:49
They should inspect Mapplewell primary. I think they will find it is far below satisfactory.

Reply Posted by Amy on Wednesday May 21 2014 at 21:54
Both my children have been and one still goes to this school and they have both excelled in every subject. Couldnt wish for a nicer school/teachers.

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday June 27 2014 at 19:58
I went to the school and found it wonderful. The teachers were great, teaching was great, subjects were great. I don't think that I noticed the difference between lengths of writing at primary and secondary. I could not fault the school at all and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a school for their children.

Maybe the inspection's results are due to the new headteacher - it was fine when Mrs Kirkman was there!

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday June 27 2014 at 19:58