Sexual Offence Figures Rise

Thursday May 15 2014

South Yorkshire Police South Yorkshire Police

THERE was a 63 per cent leap in the number of sexual offences reported to police in Barnsley last year.

While the town's crime figures on the whole are down by five cent, the sexual offences figure went up from 120 to 195 from January to December.

Robbery was also up by 37 per cent, from 73 to 100.

But some of the biggest reductions were in criminal damage and arson - down 18 per cent - and public order offences which was down 12 per cent.

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Thursday May 15 2014 at 16:10
Sexual Offences and Robbery rise. They figures show disturbing reading. I would like to know how many people have been found guilty and received a prison sentence.

Reply Posted by meme on Thursday May 15 2014 at 16:51
I live on a street that once was a nice little street now it seems there is a break in every other night.

Reply Posted by Dee on Saturday May 17 2014 at 19:31
No offence and not meant to offend but funny how crime rates go up, as immigrants move in.

Reply Posted by Ralph on Sunday May 18 2014 at 00:13
Dee you are offensive and ignorant and the reason our country is in steady decline. Accept that you can't blame everyone else for your own failings and you can start to put your own house in order.

Reply Posted by Steve on Sunday May 18 2014 at 00:19
Dee, overall crime rates are actually steadily going down, as much as you probably wish not to believe it. And the optimist in me hopes that the sexual offences rise in reporting is due to more offences being reported than just more taking pace. I can hope.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday May 19 2014 at 17:12
Crime rates going down? Rubbish.

Reported crime may well be down as people no longer report certain crimes as they know that the police will do very little about it.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Sunday May 18 2014 at 08:08
Steve your right. There has been a lot of work done to encourage people to report crimes that might not have been reported before. Hate crime is another example, there is a rise in the number reported but not to say there is a rise in cases. The police have done some excellent work in networking with the communities and it feels they will listen to you and take it seriously and deal with it.
As for the comment about crime and immigration...check the figures as you will see the number of crimes committed are, on a much bigger percentage by British people

Reply Posted by Jason on Monday May 19 2014 at 12:58
Ralph, Steve, Andrew, you are a bit brainwashed in politically correctness. Some of us see through it, others (like you lot) accept what you are told. I can't change you sheeple, I doubt I could anyway. I just don't believe half of what the system tells me + I don't go around being all P.C. I am not a racist either, I believe the hard working tax paying immigrants are welcome. It is the NHS tourists and benefit screwers that need to be blocked and loads of them do come here and commit crime. As for NHS holiday makers, don't take my word for it, go for a stroll through any hospital waiting room & think again.

Reply Posted by T Fletcher on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 21:53
Knowing how the police compile their crime figures I'm not sure just how reliable these figures on reported sexual crime are.