Unusual Stray At Abbey Vets

Friday May 2 2014

STAFF at Abbey Vets had to cope with a lot of cock-a-doodle-dos when a rather unusual stray was brought in.

The rooster was found parading up and down Summer Lane, when he was taken to the Dodworth Road vets by a member of the public.

Lynn Northrop, from Abbey Vets, said: "We weren't sure what breed he is but probably a Plymouth Rock or a Sussex. He is being looked after by one of our nurses who lives in Darton.

"Our receptionist Lisa was going to take him originally but then we discovered he was a boy when he started cock-a-doodle-doing. Lisa only has egg-laying hens so she thought it unwise to take him."

The vet's advice for people finding a stray bird is to be careful not to injure it. Birds are fragile and people can easily break their bones or damage feathers.

Reply Posted by Joanne Jeffrey on Tuesday May 6 2014 at 12:42
Abbey Vets, I wouldn't take my pet there again. They don't care about the animal's welfare just about how you are going to pay for it. That was the first thing they asked me when my cat was ill.Their attitude stinks. It is a wonder they didni't ask the same from the member of public who brought the rooster to them, I would have gone to the RSPCA instead.

Reply Posted by Melanie on Tuesday May 6 2014 at 21:57
got to admit I was let down by Abby vets (not all of the staff )I wont go into the story and I also agree I got the same feeling money first ,so it wont be my first choice should I ever need a vet in the future

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday May 6 2014 at 12:55
The RSPCA do good work,but they let me down badly. They put my pet duck to sleep,just because they didnt know where to place her when she had flown out of my garden. They made no attempt to save her and she was not injured. Also you try to report a lost or found pet, the system doesnt work. They need funding,and though they did me no favours I still do give what I can. Ive always found Abbey to be good,expensive yes,but arnt they all.

Reply Posted by Bungle on Thursday May 8 2014 at 14:28
I cannot praise Abbey Vets enough I find them very committed to their work and I get top class care for my dog friendly staff.

Reply Posted by Laura Grigg on Sunday May 11 2014 at 00:55
I did my work placement for college at Abbey vets 8yrs ago n was there a year. I saw behind the scenes & I took my dog there before my work placement and still take him now, you get brilliant care for your pet. They only ask about payment due to the amount of bad owners out there that just dump their pet n then don't pay. I understand their are some people that genuinely can't afford it but vets bills are part of having a pet. Abbey is a business after all, not a charity. Btw, I don't work for them & I'm no longer in the animal profession but I have friends that are & believe me your best at Abbey.

Reply Posted by Pet owner! on Sunday May 11 2014 at 09:56
Fair enough some vets may seem like they're concerned more about the payment method than the pet but I'm sure that ISNT the case, although they absolutely are thinking 'how are you going to pay for it' if you can't afford vet bills or dont want to pay for treatment then don't have a pet SIMPLES! Get pet insurance or a credit card to one side JUST for your pets treatment if needed!

Reply Posted by Emma on Sunday May 11 2014 at 19:41
I always take my dogs to abbey vets, we use the wombwell branch and I cannot praise them highly enough, they have always been so kind and considerate with both my dogs, and care has always been their first priority, it's a fabulous team down there who make my dogs feel welcome and safe and would recommend them to anyone, yes care can be expensive but that is true of any vets practice and it's why insurance is strongly recommended from your first visit with your pet