Thousands Set To Attend Gay Pride Festival

Thursday April 24 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

UP to 3,500 festival-goers will descend on a 30-acre farm site for a gay pride music event.

'Pinkfields' will take place at Cuckold Carr Farm in Gunthwaite on the weekend of May 24 and 25.

Headline acts include boy band A1, who had two UK number one singles in 2000, award-winning hip hop group Big Brovaz and former X Factor contestant Amelia Lily.

The event, which has been organised by Andy Edmondson, supports the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender movement after it helped his family cope with the sex change of his nephew Matthew, 18.

Andy, 43, said: "LGBT have been an absolute tower of strength to my family. I genuinely don’t know where we’d be without them. They have stopped my family splitting up on more than one occasion.

"I wanted to put something on a little bit different and see if we can do it - this is not a guy who’s just having a party in a field."

Other artists booked include Angie Brown, of The Voice and 90s dance act Bizarre Inc, singer-songwriter Tina Cousins and former Hacienda DJ Dave Booth.

Reply Posted by Drew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 13:24
i wonder when the straight festival is?.... oh i forgot that would be wrong and offensive what a load of crap

Reply Posted by Confused on Thursday April 24 2014 at 13:30
Why do straight people need a festival? Last time I checked straight people weren't hated just for being themselves. Good on this guy for organising this.

Reply Posted by Drew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 13:50
its nothing against them ive no loads of gay people. just winds me up how there aloud to be proud to show there sexuality but if we even think of saying im proud to be straight where offensive

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday April 24 2014 at 15:00
Nope, never been accused of being offensive because I have said I am proud to be straight.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday April 24 2014 at 15:01

Reply Posted by agree. on Thursday April 24 2014 at 15:01
I agree with Drew, if there was a "straight" only bar in town it would be shut down or a straight only night etc...

Just like women only insurance companies.. it isn't fair.

Reply Posted by FatDave on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 09:33
agree, are there any gay only bars in town? From my understanding homosexuality isn't mandatory in any establishment, rather providing an environment where gay people can be comfortable being amongst others who are out without excluding anybody from the party.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday April 24 2014 at 13:55
Mixed feelings on the "pride" part of it. My brother,s gay and he thnks its silly. He says hes just gay,not proud nor unproud, just like me,Im straight,not proud nor unproud,just straight.
Its an excuse for a festival of like minded people, and theres no harm in that. Theres no need to be proud these days,surely its just accepted within the majority of the population. By forever announcing to the world that being gay is something to be proud of, they are just hi-lighting the old discrimination there used to be. Ok, there are gays, we know, so "gays,just get over yourselves" have a party and move on.

Reply Posted by FatDave on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 09:37
I think I kind of agree. I think pride is the wrong word, but it's one that covers up the phrase "not ashamed to be gay" in a way that leaves little doubt.

I think events like this are more for straight people than gay, a way of saying that hate won't make them go away.

Reply Posted by toni on Thursday April 24 2014 at 14:03
Being yourself is what matters it's about them standing together and being proud and have fun as in sometimes it's hard for them to come out and it's a big step and can be a lot of hassle if not welcomed in family all learn to love and be loved in return no matter what sexually you are

Reply Posted by Youre gay...and? on Thursday April 24 2014 at 17:05
Going to a festival wont help a family to accept a gay relative. Neither will being "proud". I agree that a "straight bar " would be seen as offensive and unfair and rightly so. The gay community need to let go and stop screaming gay pride,they are just drawing attention to a problem that in all fairness is sooo over! Theres no need to be proud, just be! When all said and done whats to be proud off? Dont get it. In fact its flipping boring now and keeping shouting about it just keeps it all in the public eye. I think the gays need to accept that the general public dont really care!

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 18:20
This festival is not just for LGBT people but it is aimed at LGBT people. There are no Gay only bars as that would be discrimination. And to be proud that over the last 40 years so much work has been done to obtain equality. There have been many changes in that time and yet there are still people bullied and humiliated for whom they are attracted to. raising awareness that it is ok to be LGBT and that you are no less of a person because of it.

Reply Posted by andrew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 20:24
Well it is a good job you are in the minority and attitudes like yours are few and far between. Your post will not be here for long...thank you for your input though and showing exactly why gay pride and LGBT friendly events and venues are still needed.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 21:12
Everyone has a right to their beliefs and I think the fact he says Fags are not normal if also offensive too in my opinion. Like I said earlier it is not just an LGBT festival, I know the guy oganising it and it is open to all....many families of all types are going and it is to help raise awareness. People did not think gay prides would make any difference but they have done masses to raise awareness.

Reply Posted by pete on Thursday April 24 2014 at 21:25
Yes Andrew,after consideration, I take your point.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 21:50
I agree not everyone agrees with homosexuality and that it their right and belief to feel that way.. I have been part of the Barnsley LGBT forum for the past 3 years and have seen the damage of bullying and harassment has caused. The events held are to show that people can live, work and play side by side, and yes it is aimed at an LGBT audience for them to see there is no shame in being LGBT. The vast majority of LGBT people just want to get on with their lives in the community and be part of the bigger community. I know very few who want to say people are bigoted or homophobic if they do not agree with it....but like all sectors there are people on all sides that do. After all the time of having to hide who they are people do celebrate their diversity and more rights and freedom than ever before...it is not meant to be in the face of straight people but celebrating diversity with anyone who wishes to be part of it, Just my opinion but as someone who hid who they were for many a year it is also my personal experience

Reply Posted by pete on Thursday April 24 2014 at 22:27
You obviously have had experience Andrew and I respect your view. My brother is gay and he thinks these things can antagonise people. He wouldn't join in,he lives happily with a lovely partner and both family's have no problem with that. Hopefully that time will come for all.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday April 24 2014 at 22:40
As long as people are happy that is the main thing. I do not go out of the scene because it is not for me....I am far happier in one of the local real ale pubs having a pint and a chat! I am an activist for equality rights for all...I attend a number of meetings that help put on events in town for everyone....and I enjoy that and hope it goes that little bit to help breaking down barriers so we have a great community here in Barnsley regardless of our differences. I just want to be able to help people feel part of the wider community so we can all, as much as we can, live in harmony.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Saturday April 26 2014 at 12:14
We have these festivals regular in London. Has a transgender myself people need to live and let live,,

Reply Posted by Truth hurts on Thursday April 24 2014 at 21:25
If people choose to be different fine. Live and let live. What annoys me particular against gay men they spend years in the closets denying the sexuality.And as soon as they want the world to know the prance about like some kind of lunatic.

Good be who you are but do PUSH it down straight peoples faces and another example is bible bashes love God do your stuff but don't bother me.

I live in the real world and got my own **** to Shovel

Reply Posted by Mr X Rated on Monday April 28 2014 at 21:30
Some people would pay to have it pushed down their face, love!

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday April 24 2014 at 22:05
I am quite astounded at the way in which some people are reacting to the festival.Examine the facts of the festival.
Its a music festival that has an emphasis on ts main audience being gay.
Its taking place out of town
the festival is not closed to anyone that wants to attend gay or straight
the gay population of the town don't complain when Bombfest is being advertised.
We don't shout up about it on here or anywhere else.

For goodness sake get over yourselves. What is good for one gender identity is good for another.

At Truth hurts, not all those that "prance about" are gay. There are more gay men that don't, compared to those that do and for the record. In Barnsley there are over 1000 members of the LGBT forum, that are Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual or Transgender and the percentage of those people that declare themselves are gay is growing on a daily basis.

Oh and carry on as you are. Live and let live, Straight, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, Bi-sexual, religious person and political idiot,

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday April 24 2014 at 22:39
Dave, Bombfest is advertised as a festival. This one is advertised as a gay pride festival, there is the difference. The gay community has singled themselves out to be different by its use of the gay pride title. If gay people want to be seen as the same as everyone else why are they still labelling all that they do? I agree with truth hurts,the gay pride image is outdated. The jobs done, gays are accepted,they just need to realise it. I will say I'm glad about it too. Live and let live.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Friday April 25 2014 at 07:12
The thing is it is not a "gay" festival, it is a festival that is aimed at LGBT people but open to all. It is actually the way it has been reported that makes it sound like it is a gay festival. Gay pride over the past 5 yrs here in Barnsley has attracted thousands of people from all spectums of the community....it celebrates diversity for anyone who wants to attend and be part of a fun day.,...it is inclusive rather than exclusive

Reply Posted by Truth Hurts on Thursday April 24 2014 at 22:15

If more people are coming out every day good I'm happy for them but don't expect millions of straight people to share you views.

I hope you all get married and live happy every after. But let me live my life.

Your gay Pride image is outdated.

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday April 24 2014 at 22:30
@Truth, I have no problem with the way in which anyone lives their lives. As one who had to live in the closet because it was illegal to be out of it, I am proud that we have now got some measure of equality. You haven't hit a nerve at all. The gay pride festival in my own humble opinion is now becoming an out-moded way of celebrating our equality, but many other people enjoy it. If everyone had the same view then debate pages like this one wouldn't be around for us to use them.

the only mention of this music festival being a "Gay Pride Festival", has been wither on here or in the Chronicle, and the news makers are the only people making a big thing out of this. the festival is actually called PINK FIELDS, I can provide a URL for anyone to see, as this system will not let me post it here

I am not pushing it down anyones throat, the Newspapers are.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday April 25 2014 at 16:57
A thought by now no one gives a **** whether gay bisexual lesbian or transgender. I have alway belived in it's what inside that counts

Reply Posted by anorak on Friday April 25 2014 at 22:45
Really? Good to tell this is a Barnsley forum. Geez. Some people really need to get out of the 'Barnsley Bubble'. Gay/Straight/Trans/whatever. People are people. Deal with it.

Reply Posted by Toni on Sunday April 27 2014 at 14:03
Hope they all have lots of fun people are free to be them selfs

Reply Posted by H on Sunday April 27 2014 at 20:08
Wow Barnsley! My hometown never fails to surprise me with its interesting comments..... why aren't we all allowed to be accepted and happy? I hope the gay, straight, bisexual, disabled, ethnic, ginger, blonde, transgender, atheist, Muslims who attend this, have a great time :-) what business is it of yours anyway?

Reply Posted by gopher on Sunday April 27 2014 at 20:13
The day I can go into Chennels and hold hands with a same-sex partner and maybe have a kiss without being abused, then there will be no need for gay festivals or venues

Reply Posted by H on Sunday April 27 2014 at 20:17
There are plenty of "straight" prides around bananas..... if I turned up holding my girlfriends hand at the mayors parade in town, I think plenty of handbag granny's would tut in disgust. Lets be honest and let the lgbt community be allowed to literally come out for once!

Reply Posted by bananas on Sunday April 27 2014 at 20:40
I might b abit owd fashioned, but it dunt seem r8 to me

Reply Posted by Some people on Sunday April 27 2014 at 20:42
Narrow minded people on here are unreal.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Sunday April 27 2014 at 21:47
I see my stalker is out again upthread. Trivialising LGBT issues.

I am sending Stonewall a link to this thread.

Reply Posted by on yer bike on Monday April 28 2014 at 07:28
who cares you fool Kilkenny. jog on you tranny.

Reply Posted by Ray on Sunday April 27 2014 at 23:51
Who cares? I'm straight this doesn't interest me, the same way that Morris dancing doesn't interest me, nor does it affect me either. People are far too interested in what other people are doing. If it doesn't affect you why bother yourself with it? Just get on with your own stuff

Reply Posted by chickadee on Monday April 28 2014 at 11:07
Blimey. You lot.
Every big city in the country holds a gay pride festival Manchester and Londons are famous someone puts on a music festival "aimed" at the LGBT crowd in Barnsley and people get up in arms.
The most offensive thing is the music that is apparently picked to appeal to gay folks, the line up is bleeding appalling. Very stereotyped.
If you don't want to go, no problem. If you do want to go, no problem.
If you think that homophobia and discrimination is over - read the news, open your eyes.

Reply Posted by FatDave on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 09:44
This is just disgusting, I'm sick to my stomach that this is being held in Yorkshire.

A1? Big Brovaz? Former X Factor contestant Amelia Lily?

Come on, surely gay people like some decent music anorl.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 22:22
I have been involved in organising the last 3 of the 5 Barnsley prides in Barnsley. It costs a lot of money to put on any event and yeah maybe the acts are not "A" list but when you fund it yourselves and get sponsorship and work with partners you have to be able to make sure the money is used effectively. The local LGBT forum is highly respected both in the borough and beyond and all its volunteers do a fantastic job making sure barriers are knocked down and work together for a better Barnsley for everyone. There is still a long way to go but its getting there

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 23:52
@on yer bike - a tad homophobic. Got issues with your own sexuality my dear?

Reply Posted by Quentin Crispy on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 16:23
Thank God its not in the town centre!!..Last time a 'Gay male' got arrested for exposing himself to a 12 year old child!!..If you ask me the clocks want turning back to the 70's when homophobic behaviour was a mental illness!,and in my opinion still is!!...And before you start im Atheist and was thanking YOUR God Not mine!!!

Reply Posted by Quentin Crispy on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 16:40
And 'Andrew' or is it 'Dominic' (Why is it Gays change their names on a monthly basis?), don't try to fire back with some 'homophobic' crap i'm just stating a fact 'tis all my good man... And if i'm not mistaken ECT was the order of the day back in the 70's and a jolly good idea it was too! ..Zap those messed up 'man feelings',hairy back passage's and all!!!

Reply Posted by Andrew on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 17:56
Your entitled to your opinion but it is encouraging to see there are fewer and fewer people share your opinion. Can I ask to what event you are talking about with the arrest? just wondering as we work with the police and would like to get this this verified as not heard about that one...would hate to think we were not raising awareness that NO sector of the community supports attacks on minors.

Reply Posted by dave on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 18:11
at Quentin Crispy.
1. Before you go answering people, be brave enough to use your own name.
2. Homophobic behaviour is an offence under law. I think you might mean something else
3. ECT was never used on homosexuals in the 1970s as acts of a homosexual nature and being a homosexual was de-criminalised in the 1960s.
4. Please verify your claim about this person supposedly showing himself to a minor.
5 Being an Atheist, why would you even mention God?
6 I reckon it is you that may need the treatment as you are not man (or woman) enough to even use your own name here, but that of dead man.

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 18:19
You all might as well get over yourselves. Its happening and there is not a great deal you can do about it. Whatever your views, what ever abuse you want to throw at the gay population of the area, the PINK FIELDS festival (no where has it been called a PRIDE festival, only on this website), will go ahead. Now like it and join in, or lump and take a hike.....We don't complain about Bombfest or Barnsley Live. If the music is not to your liking then don't go. No one says attendance is compulsory.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday May 1 2014 at 08:41
Just thought I would tell you Stonewall have been made aware of this article.