Public Toilets To Close To Save Money

Thursday March 27 2014

Public toilet closures to save £40,000 Public toilet closures to save £40,000

A HOST of public toilets across the borough will close from April 1 as part of Barnsley Council's budget savings.

Toilets on High Street in Wombwell, Barnsley Road in Cudworth, Goldthorpe's Barnsley Road and Summer Lane and Churchfields in the town centre will be closed.

Signs have already been placed on each toilet site in advance of the closures, advising where alternative provision is located. In most cases this will be toilets within the closest public library.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "The results of our cuts are now starting to show and although closing public toilets is regrettable, it's unavoidable due to our financial circumstances."

The closures will make a saving of £40,000 per year.

Reply Posted by T on Thursday March 27 2014 at 16:36
Or instead limit expenses Barnsley MP's claim?

Reply Posted by Izzy on Friday March 28 2014 at 12:19
MP's aren't funded by the council.

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:03
With privatised water and the worst depression in 130 years we need to bring back public baths and keep public toilets open.

Inequality is so great nowadays, and poverty is real.

We are seeing the return of diseases thought to have been eradicated in this country many decades ago. One can only take solace in the fact that these diseases do not know class boundaries, and when they spread (first and foremost in the poorest) they shall kill rich and poor alike. The self interest of the rich will then kick in, and as was done before, the living standards of those ever increasing ranks at the bottom of society will be increased in order to remove from the population the diseases that do not know class boundary.

The NHS should really be addressing measures, but the poor coughing up contagious spores, and the infection of the rich, it seems shall be the driver of equality in the coming decades.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:55
Hey Tom, bit deep that post. What you saying,we all need to get a bath with the scruffs as they can't afford to pat for water? Yuk!

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 27 2014 at 18:11
i can feel a les mis moment comming on ......do you hear the people sing ,singing the song of angry men ....i was the only bloke going into parliment with the right intentions see ya in november.

Reply Posted by Really on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:15
As a mum with young kids I have always felt Barnsley needed more toilets not less as my kids always seem to havr little notice of there need to wee meaning a mad dash across town n hope to god they dont pee whilst in the que.

Reply Posted by ha on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:31
why does every moron revert to expences? yes they shouldcut back on them but that still wouldnt stop the central government slashing the councils budgets. its ow the conservatives make u beleive the country is ******. thing is if they wud stop giving millions in aid to other countrys councils wont have to close things

Reply Posted by UKIP on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:48
The Labour Party decide everything in barnsley .... Vote UKIP

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:51
UKIP are doing the rounds trying to get votes. They're worth a listen to be fair. They called at my place of work. It was interesting. First time in 30yrs if ever been politionalised.(new word..lol)

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday March 27 2014 at 19:23
The only credible policy UKIP have is the one on immigration, the rest is even more right wing than the Tories...

Want the NHS 100% Privatised then vote UKIP.

I urge anyone to FULLY check out UKIP policy before they cast there vote.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:52
Mmmm,so new I spelt it wrong! Politicianalised.

Reply Posted by ha on Thursday March 27 2014 at 17:53
vote ukip ha ha all mps are crooks. and its the central government tbat gives the councils there budgets

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 27 2014 at 18:19
shutting toilets in barnsley for how much of a saving 40.000 cant we charge to use the toilets turnstyle idea,or make some of the wealthy in barnsley put something back in .to me the only possible answer is for someone in the ivory tower to grow some and make the blue badges pay something towards parking e.g 1.40 for 2 hours parking make the blue badge holders pay say 70 pence thats kept your toilets open hasnt it after all dont you have to pay with a blue badge at the hospital the blue badge abuse is loosing barnsley council thousands grow some barnsley council or keep shuting things down.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday March 27 2014 at 18:32
You're solo right guy Fawkes. There's a lot of fiddling going on with the blue badges. I know 2.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 27 2014 at 18:53
dear annon your slightly twisting my idea the solo bit tells me you believe i am deluded about the financial side of my argument. the blue badge holders pay at bdgh do they complain yes but they pay.do the blue badge holders contribute in the barnsley town centre no they dont .so when annon you feel the arm of the law on your shoulder and asked why are you p....ing there youll reflect and say the guy bloke maybe had a good idea.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday March 27 2014 at 19:03
No,soz guy Fawkes,it was a typo, I meant soooo right. I agree with you.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 27 2014 at 19:09
no problems mr anon alls well that ends well.

Reply Posted by wat a laugh on Thursday March 27 2014 at 21:37
I just love reading WAB comments so funny at times especially when I can understand what's been writte

Reply Posted by wat a laugh on Thursday March 27 2014 at 21:38
Sorry written

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday March 27 2014 at 22:13
@wat a laugh,yu should have gone to school then you would have had a better grip of understanding.

Reply Posted by debs on Friday March 28 2014 at 08:09
To be honest I went into the wombwell toilets the other day with my daughter and had to go in Witherspoons because they were absolutely disgusting.
Theres poo on the walls pee on the floor ,they should knock them down.

Reply Posted by linda on Friday March 28 2014 at 10:03
debs - spot on with the state of the toilets. I visited wombwell for the 1st time a few weeks ago. I needed the loo and was horrified in the state of the toilets. I walked out and also used witherspoons toilet. Thank god witherspoons was nearby or sadly I would have been in agony due to having bowel issues. Surely if the toilets cant be kept nice then knocking them down has to be a good result for the people of wombwell. An eyesore and disgraceful filthy toilets.

Reply Posted by Joseph Brammah on Monday March 31 2014 at 09:12
Is Witherspoons near to Wetherspoons? I've never seen it.

Reply Posted by d on Friday March 28 2014 at 09:25
sounds lile sum in wombwell nd to learn how to use loo.debs is r8 tha dirty gits

Reply Posted by d on Friday March 28 2014 at 09:28
roy miller dnt knw difference in town and motorway.what about deducting there money they always get a rise in the pay packet and the do f....all!

Reply Posted by toni on Friday March 28 2014 at 14:56
The toilets on wombwell r disgusting. Thankful weather spoons is close by cos I wouldn't go in them other toilets n iv got a 3 year old daughter not very clean for her to b goin in

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday March 28 2014 at 14:59
dont use wombwell toilets but could someone answer my question are they disable friendly if not then they are breaking the law.would suggest knocking them down then rebuilding toilets similar to the ones at scarbourough where someone is employed in a booth like position to keep on top of keeping the toilets clean also a charge of 20 pence say to use and the correct use of cctv should give wombwell the toilets they deserve.

Reply Posted by gary on Saturday March 29 2014 at 19:51
a friend of mine used to clean wombwell bogs and bloody hell they are dirty gits he once spent an hour cleaning them then a bloke had a dump on the floor,,seat and the walls i'd hate to go into their house so yes nock em down.

Reply Posted by carl on Friday March 28 2014 at 16:20
IS THIS A NEW WAY OF GETTING MORE MONEY OUT OF PPL WHO CANT HOLD IT SO THEY **** IN THE STREET AND GET THE MANDATOY FINES AND I BET THE PUBS AND OTHER PLACES WILL START CHARGING TO USE LOOS IF YOU DONT BUY ANYTHING ??WHAT THEY GOING TO SPEND THE SAVINGS AND FINES ON MORE WARREDNS TO POLICE IT THIS STINKS AND SO WILL THE TOWN SOON AS THIS HAPPENS

Reply Posted by Andrew on Saturday March 29 2014 at 16:14
vote UKIP? there is more chance of hell freezing over. Only difference between UKIP and BNP is where they buy their suits from

Reply Posted by blue sky on Saturday March 29 2014 at 16:47
Shut the loos to pay for the town centre pavements?

Reply Posted by cheryl on Saturday March 29 2014 at 18:04
Is there only one councillor on bmbc for the last few weeks only Muppet miller seems to be the only one to be alive for comment. Not that he makes much sense. Toilets need to be open and clean council tax has just gone up 1.9% where is that going probably into brown envelopes in certain back pockets

Reply Posted by Jo on Saturday March 29 2014 at 19:09
My son has spina bifida and I have a blue badge for him and always have to pay at hospital car parks

Perhaps checking facts would help?

Regarding the loos they would be better manned and charged for during the day as they would then be clean, safe for families and not a haven for druggies

It would then be self funding too

Reply Posted by jo or get facts jo on Saturday March 29 2014 at 20:13
Perhaps reading correctly might help?

states blue badges have to pay at hospital.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday March 29 2014 at 20:32
dear jo my wife has a blue badge also and it wouldnt bother me one iota to pay an ammount towards parking in barnsley as long as this money was put towards good use.you have to agree with me that the cancer of blue badge abuse is now at an obscene level.and if your money and my money was spent wisely toilets being kept open then i am all for it.

Reply Posted by Collet on Saturday March 29 2014 at 20:33
Don't blame the council for dirty toilets,it's the dirty baskits that deliberately soil them,as much as I don't have much standing for the elected the Barnsley area is full of dirtiest people dog foulers rubish throwers you name it en Barnsley has got it

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday March 29 2014 at 22:11
what a negative non constructive post that was,have a look round london and thats your capital everything youve said of barnsley could relate to anywhere in england.collet me thinketh you need to change that post nameit reminds me of a french woman of the night.

Reply Posted by Bee on Monday March 31 2014 at 18:22
Lets be honest who uses those toilets anyway??. They are filthy and smell disgusting I would never go in them and certainly wouldn't let my kids use them. It's the druggies and drunks who are going to be upset about this one.

Reply Posted by Danny on Monday March 31 2014 at 19:26
And then make money out of fines wen u piss on floor!! Piss up toilet block blame council for shuttin em, they wana stop wastin money on shit never mind public toilets, what's a light bulb these days?? Morons.com/Barnsleycouncil