Town Centre Fining Scheme To Be Launched

Monday March 17 2014

FOUR camera-wearing enforcement officers are being brought in to stamp out littering and dog fouling offences in Barnsley town centre.

Cleaning up litter and dog mess costs Barnsley Council £1 million to clean up every year.

The alarming figure has prompted a new 'zero tolerance' pilot scheme to be launched in Barnsley town centre which will see the council partner with a private company.

Four enforcement officers - who will work for the firm - will go into the town centre and will carry cameras while on duty so all enforcement activity can be monitored.

The 12-month scheme will be provided at no cost to the council, with the firm being paid £40 for every fine issued correctly.

They need to issue 1,350 tickets and receive full payment of 730 of them.

A council spokesman said: "If, at the end of the year, not enough tickets have been issued to cover the costs of the new roles, they will bear that loss, not the council.

"We are addressing a continued blight on our environment and landscape in an innovative and cost-effective way. The council will monitor activity, making sure fines are being issued in a fair way, with the town centre environment and local residents taking priority over income generation."

Reply Posted by Delores Brown on Monday March 17 2014 at 11:04
Great idea!! Win/Win! Here's hoping the town is cleaned up.

Reply Posted by John Evans on Monday March 17 2014 at 11:10
I think the scheme is a good idea but I do not agree with an outside firm being brought in to do this. An outside firm that has targets to meet can easily lead to over zealousness.

Reply Posted by pc on Monday March 17 2014 at 11:39
Most dog walkers are out first thing in the morning and late at night do not walk their dogs in the town centre. I sometimes walk on Doncaster Road and some dirty sod lets their big dog mess near the school. I wonder if that will stop or will they just be on duty 9 to 5 out side the Greggs or subway?

Reply Posted by Ray on Monday March 17 2014 at 11:53
I think they should start with a clean up of the town first.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Monday March 17 2014 at 11:53
I must say I don't see much 'dog mess' in the town centre so I can only assume this will be a 'litter' task force, and good on them.
As for dog mess I am afraid that they are going to have to go wider afield than the town centre to sort that out and as such the 'cost' for the company will increase and as such they may well not bother! After all they will have the 'cash cow' that is the litter lout in Barnsley...
I just wish the council themselves run this rather than an outside agency, employing local people!

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday March 17 2014 at 23:25
The Council cannot run any service efficiently. They do not understand what efficiency is. The more tickets issued the better I say.

Reply Posted by nick on Monday March 17 2014 at 11:55
Ought to be on Pitt st where archers is , im fed up of my son coming in covered in it after playing football on there

Reply Posted by southern boy on Monday March 17 2014 at 12:14
I think you will find there are people employed to fine people for dropping litter and people who let their dog mess every where maybe they are too busy sat in their offices I have seen council lads in town picking litter and animal mess (dog &horse) the main problem is out of the town centre area then again the council are getting rid of the indians but keeping the "chiefs" so who is left? joe public

Reply Posted by Keep Britain Tidy on Monday March 17 2014 at 14:04
The council used to have a very good and experienced enforcement team until they decided to make people redundant and merge them with police / safer neighbourhood teams. Now it's litter-ally rubbish and the ones left dissolutioned with it all as it doesn't work.
A labour council taking the oppotunity to privatising another department where profits will end up being taken out of Barnsley and leaving residents with over zealous enforcement to meet their quotas

Reply Posted by Tom on Monday March 17 2014 at 15:12
and the legalities of a private company issuing fines is what,?? NOTHING a private company has NO POWERS. so just tell them to stick it and walk off, (After you have picked your crap or litter up)

Reply Posted by mucka on Monday March 17 2014 at 22:14
could be wrong but I thought parking enforcement had been contracted out some years ago, and they have targets. not surprising really as the council then don't get burdened with expensive pension responsibilities or any of the other generous and costly contractual terms and conditions.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday March 17 2014 at 22:01
I was emptying my handbag a couple of week ago to put in the.bim and as I was walking to bin a small wrapper fell on the.floor which.I.didnt know.about.and a lady came over grabbrd my arm and told me about if, I said oh.im sorry ill pick it.up now. Nope she slammed me with a £75 fine :(:(:(

Reply Posted by Jonathanscattergood on Tuesday March 18 2014 at 08:22
Idiots, bet they dont catch me letting my dog shit in town, i do it every week then stand and watch old people stand in it has me in stitches

Reply Posted by Free man on the land on Sunday September 14 2014 at 11:44
Littering is obviously a problem affecting health and the general environment and needs to be addressed. But by a private company receiving over 50 per cent of the fine. Leaves it open to the issuers to target the easy options of " the cig butt or an inadvertent price of litter escaping form a purse or bag " Is this a deterrent to the offender or just a money making ploy. I've have witnessed large groups of youths and older littering in town centre. A member of the litter police also saw this but did not approach. Is it one law for the individual that does not apply to a more awkward situation for the issuer?
On a note does anyone know which private company issues the tickets?