Dangerous Dog Escapes Punishment After Move

Wednesday March 12 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A DOG which left a Barnsley woman in hospital for five days has escaped being put down - because it is living in Scotland.

Ten-year-old Bomber, a Staffordshire bull terrier, bit Maria Ray on July 22, 2012, as she pushed her trolley between two vehicles in Asda's car park on Old Mill Lane.

She was treated at Barnsley Hospital but had to stay there for five days after the bite became infected.

After hearing about another attack when Bomber bit a woman in Manchester, Judge Sarah Wright, sitting at Sheffield Crown Court, ordered the dog be destroyed.

But the dog's owner, 48-year-old Ian Edmonds, split up with his partner who took Bomber with her to Scotland - where the court's jurisdiction does not apply.

It means the dog - which was taken in as a stray - cannot be put down as long as it stays north of the border or ends its days there.

Edmonds was given a 12-month community order and sentenced to 100 hours of unpaid community work.

Reply Posted by spandangled on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 12:20
that's ok then it will all be ok when it chews some poor childs face off eh? if an animal is dangerous it should be put down no matter where it is I know we are a nation of dog lovers supposedly but cmon get real nar we have to remember these are animals not "pets" and if it poses a threat then get rid!

Reply Posted by Marshey on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 12:33
Well said spandangled could nt have said it better myself ...When it attacks in Scotland for a 3rd time the owner needs banging up as it's irresponsible of her to want to keep an Animal that's unpredictable ....

Reply Posted by cp on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 12:34
surely there should be an animal version of extradition? regardless where it lives it is still bloody dangerous!!

Reply Posted by LV on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 12:36
There's nothing the courts can do, there are different regulations in place in Scotland whereby an English court has no jurisdiction. The only thing that can be done is either wait for them to return to England or wait (unfortunately) for the dog to bite again.

Reply Posted by HB on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 12:41
Has anyone thought that the dog attacked because it was frightened? Or maybe it was brought up wrong. All dogs need are a bit of love and to be shown that there are other ways. I rescued a Staffordshire bull terrier that was used in dog fighting and once he was mine he never attacked a dog. Its the owners, not the dog.

Reply Posted by cp on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 12:48
it does say though that they owners split and she took the dog so still same owner

Reply Posted by kh on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 13:40
Do not blame the dog blame the owner for putting the dog in situations where it feel threatened enough to bite someone a responsible dog owner would not put their pets through unnecessary stress and surely does the queens laws for united kingdom not apply for scotland this dog should be taken away from this owner and be rehomed with one that will keep it away from other people at all times if a suitable owner cannot be found then as this dog has attacked twice maybe it should be destroyed but i do think the law should look at the possibilty of rehoming and training of dogs before considering destroying them and also training for the owners of dogs that bite at their cost so that if they have dogs in the future they know how to treat them and maybe reduce the amount of dog attacks in the future

Reply Posted by Maria Rae on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 13:44
In response to HB, I was the lady bit by the dog.

It was not frightened in any way, I was simply walking between 2 parked cars (parked in the disabled bays) I DID NOT HAVE A TROLLEY as stated in the report, it happened at the George store at Cortonwood, not Asda at Old Mill Lane , it was a red hot day, the owner of the dog was shopping in Halfords, the dog was not barking and to be honest I didn't realise there was a dog in the car (not something I would think to look for) the dog grabbed the top of my arm as I walked by and would not let go, my arm was a mess and still is , I spent almost a week in hospital, 14 weeks on strong anti biotics and have a very large scar on my arm ,, the owner of the dog was about to drive off but luckily a staff member from the George store took his registration details, he had little remorse, he said it was too hot for the window to be up,, I agree it was but why take a dog to a retail park?

If I had been carrying my granddaughter who was only a few months old at the time, it would have dragged her into the car,, if I had my niece with me it would have grabbed her neck!! Anyone who feels remotely sorry for the owner and his dog, who is obviously one step in front of the law, please ask yourself how you would feel if it was your child or relative or your self..

My concern is the dog is still breathing, it will bite in Scotland like it will bite in England,, the police have powers to fetch humans from abroad but not a dog from Scotland! the courts have the power to send humans to jail but not the power to stop a human taking a dog to Scotland!!!

Dog laws need changing, Dog attacks are now happening on a regular basis, why wait for another person to suffer or die.

Certain breeds of dogs should be muzzled if they are taken to a public place, any responsible person should not object to this.

If a dog attacks it should be put to sleep !!!

On a last note the owner admitted owning a dangerous dog and received 100 hours of community service, I was absent from work for double the hours he has to serve !!

Dog laws need changing !!

Reply Posted by cp on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 13:59
I'm no lawyer/expert but I thought the general ruling was that once a dog has tasted human blood it is deemed a threat and therefore destroyed.
I realise that the owner is to blame for the dogs aggression but the dog is still a threat, god forbid but what will happen if the dog attacks/kills a small child, will she move to Ireland or Mexico??
I don't have anything against staffys (my mum has one and he is the softest wimpiest animal I have ever known) but they can do an awful lot of damage when they bite.

Reply Posted by kh on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 14:05
I agree dog laws need to be altered in such a way that if you own a dog that is deemed to be a dangerous dog you should have to have a license for it and that you must attend a training course to achieve this license and then any breeding of them to be registered by local authority maybe then owners of these dogs will not sell them to people who are not responsible enough for this type of dog.

Reply Posted by Den on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 15:54
It's a disgrace should not be given the chance to do it again. Imagine what it could do to a small child. I agree it is the owners fault, but this dog should be destroyed. End of.

Reply Posted by Nigel on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 19:46
Surely the authorities in Scotland should be made aware of what the dogs done then they can decide of what action to take.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 19:51
It's without doubt sadly that this dog, will if not already attack or bite again.

You speck to any registered vet and they will tell you the satistics are 99.9% correct.

The last lady suffered a terrifying experience and pain next timea child may not be as lucky if that's the word.

Reply Posted by dd on Thursday March 13 2014 at 01:15
he should have been given2yrs and held in contempt of court as well.does that mean if he didn't attend court he wouldn't get punished ? as he lives north of the border. what a load of b******s.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday March 13 2014 at 08:09
If they can't force the dog to come back to England then surely the owner can be made to come back.???

Reply Posted by JenJen on Thursday March 13 2014 at 13:36
As a RESPONSIBLE dog owner of 2 American bulldogs,I 100% agree with Maria,if a dog bites it should be put to sleep,however I do not agree that "certain breeds of dogs should be muzzled in public"because it is not certain breeds of dogs it is individual dogs and they should not be tarred with the same brush because of breed.
Ironically I have been around powerful dogs all my life,staffy's,mastiffs,boxers,bulldogs and I have only had problems with small ones,I was bitten by a chihuahua,and my partner was bitten by a jack russell.

Reply Posted by Maria on Friday March 14 2014 at 18:13
I agree JenJen its a fact that small breed dogs bite the most,. You cant type all dogs of a certain breed the same. If it was the amount of times there are bites by a breed then we would have a ban on Chihuahua's and Yorkshire Terriers. A dog is a pack animal and needs to be handled and trained correctly. And by this owners attitude who wasnt bothered just shows that dog never stood a chance, probably used as a status dog.

Reply Posted by Louise Rae on Friday March 14 2014 at 20:29
Perhaps all dogs should be muzzled in public which would put a stop to dog attacks no matter what breed they are? If we could vote I know which option I'd pick. We can't rely on all owners being responsible which unfortunately creates problems for everyone. I now see every dog regardless of the size or breed as a threat and I'm certain my mum (the victim) does too. If you look at the picture mum has posted you can see the extent of the damage caused and like previously stated, what if she had been carrying a baby or had a child with her? Yes the owner is the creator of this dangerous dog but the dog will never be changed into anything other than an attacker now therefore should be destroyed for the protection of anyone else that could come into contact with it

Reply Posted by jane on Friday March 14 2014 at 21:22
I also see every dog as a threat especially because i have a 3 n half yo daughter. If i c any dog i do not let my daughter near them. As i am afraid the dog is guna bite her.

Reply Posted by x on Friday March 14 2014 at 22:34
i have to say i am a dog owner, she is an amazing dog and i love her to bits,but if she ever bit anyone no matter how much it hurt she would not be given the chance to bite anyone a second time

Reply Posted by mick on Thursday March 20 2014 at 09:50
lot of sheep on here i have a staffy hes the most loving and and trusting dog a lot people need educating about staffys instead of jumping on the band wagon as for devil dog yeah my arse

Reply Posted by mick on Thursday March 20 2014 at 09:59
as for muzzling dogs it can sometimes make them more aggresive all these people that say all dogs are a threat .what planet are u living on cloud cuckoo land

ipso Regulated