Family's Cat Shot In Athersley

Thursday February 27 2014

Maisie Maisie

A MUCH-LOVED family cat has died after being gunned down in Athersley North.

Katy Grove, 25, says she was distraught when three-year-old Maisie did not return after being let out on Friday morning.

Katy, of North Royds Wood, Athersley, said: "I let her out as usual and was obviously concerned when she did not come home."

Posters were made and put around the area where Maisie was known to roam.

"We knocked on doors to see if she had got locked in anyone's shed," Katy added. "It was then that a neighbour said he had seen a cat matching her description in nearby woodland that had been shot."

Katy found her pet with two bullet holes.

Police are now investigating.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday February 27 2014 at 11:24
That is horrid dont know how people sleep at night, hope the family is ok the loss of a pet is just as bad as losing a relative

Reply Posted by Steve on Thursday February 27 2014 at 11:49
Brian you should do one... If it was something you cared about you'd soon be asking for help

Reply Posted by Wilf on Thursday February 27 2014 at 11:51
So "brain of barnsley" it's ok to murder innocent animals? These people are criminals!! I suppose you think the sick piece of work that microwaved her cat should also get away with that too! Idiot!

Reply Posted by Sammi on Thursday February 27 2014 at 12:02
My mother in laws cat was shoot on Saturday in Royston and now blind in one eye it's lucky to be alive xx

Reply Posted by Leanne on Thursday February 27 2014 at 12:03
I worry about people who do things like this. They may start off with animals then move on to humans.

Reply Posted by Sammi on Thursday February 27 2014 at 12:10
Wud any one now how I cud get in contacted with Katy as my mother in laws cat was shot on Saturday iam wundering if it cud be connected thanks

Reply Posted by Ged on Thursday February 27 2014 at 12:22
What is worrying is "bullet holes" . Bullets are fired from Firearms, not Air weapons, .If they were bullets and not air pellets someone needs catching and quickly

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Thursday February 27 2014 at 14:30
Man this is pretty low. It seems any news that surface from Barnsley is always crime related. I only read the chronicle these days to read up on the ridiculous prosecutions i.e. having 60 convictions for petty crime. Sigh.

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday February 27 2014 at 15:01
Such a awful thing to happen , I truly hope the police find the scum bags who did this . Sadly not much is done to murdering scum bags that kill poor innocent animals take poor Isaac for example the person who beat and burnt that poor dog to death got away with it . The law and sentencing needs to be much tougher . I send my deepest sympathy to owner of the poor cat x

Reply Posted by ebb on Thursday February 27 2014 at 18:24
the perpitrators should be caught, and they should be shot in exactly the same way and then thrown into a cell for at least five hours to think about what they've done; and then mindful of their 'human rights', the police should take them to where they live & leave them on the doorstep.

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday February 27 2014 at 19:02
Why should the police lower themselves to these lowlife standards, yeah these lowlife have killed a cat, truly sorry for your loss of a pet, but, they should get a hefty fine and maybe a bit of a prison sentence, not sure but my point is, you don't fight fire with fire.

Reply Posted by Karen on Thursday February 27 2014 at 23:09
poor family and cat it reallly is sickening wat humans put animals thru for enjoyment... hope they caught and fast .. wat a sick world we live in..

Reply Posted by n stringer on Friday February 28 2014 at 09:48
This is so sickening and i feel so sorry for the family' if they find the lowlife's that do this the police should bang them in a cell and the judge should give them a life sentence' a life for a life' after all a family pet is that family's loved one' sick world.

Reply Posted by Audrey Cocks on Friday February 28 2014 at 11:25
These people should be caught and dealt with in the correct manor , look at the girl who throw the puppies away , she got away with it cause she was 16 , but for me at that age she knew what she was doing , its just so sickining to think people are going round , doing this , I feel so sorry for the owners of these poor animals .

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday February 28 2014 at 13:18
The girl who's just recently microwaved her kitten for 5mins

Reply Posted by Andy White on Sunday August 3 2014 at 22:35
Just had a cat go missing found him in woods at back of athersly north dead looking like a trend I will find these sickos

Reply Posted by sammy on Monday March 14 2016 at 08:06
I got a cat my self and if my cat got hurt id shoot them nasty sick ******* in head what sort of people goes around hurting loving cats am never letting my cat out 4 a long time now

ipso Regulated