Work Begins On Skate Park

Wednesday February 5 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

WORK has started on a £100,000 skate park for the town.

The park - at Dearne Valley Country Park, Hoyle Mill - is set to be completed by Easter.

Coun Margaret Bruff, a former youth worker, has been at the forefront project. She said: "It's nice to see our efforts coming to fruition.

"Not only will young people have a skate park at last but one in which they've had a say in creating."

Funded by £100,000 Section 106 housing development money, this will be Barnsley's largest and first in-situ concrete park, and will cater for all skill levels.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "I’m really pleased that work is now underway. I know that there are a lot of skaters and BMX riders of all ages who will be looking forward to using it."

Reply Posted by Jim on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 13:59
Great news for the young'uns. There isn't much in Barnsley for them to do. Hopefully it will keep them out of bother.

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 14:50
if theres any concrete left from your park can you use it on the potholes in our roads please. cos my cars getting knackered.

Reply Posted by awc on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 15:14
Spend it on dorothy hyman, councils a joke, wats wrong wi ya, you dont condone gangs n huddys but build a skate park for stropy teenages!!! JOKE!!!

Reply Posted by ???? on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 15:22
I bet you were NEVER a stroppy teenager!!!! And I bet you live in Cudworth?
Dorothy hyman had stroppy teenagers in hoody's... what's your point, make any wonder kids don't respect elders these days, everyone always think bad of them.... not all kids from age 13 to 19 are bad.... just bad parenting..

Reply Posted by A on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 20:30
Total waste of cash BMBC!

Reply Posted by Daniel on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 09:34
Needs to be indoor for a start waste, old zero ice is the place, I have a page on Facebook about this Barnsley indoor skate park. My plans better

Reply Posted by concerned on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 09:41
Danile I totally agree, I think an indoor skate park is the way forward. Where young ppl are safe and monitored by staff. There's one at Sheffield costs to get in but least ya know its staffed. There is more accidents on skate parks.
Also.... 100,000 wtf im sure that cash could be used for something more important

Reply Posted by Young Morris on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 09:48
I worked on the demolition of the priory school during the summer holidays and the amount of kids what used the skate park opposite was unbelievable. If it wasn't there most of these kids would have been upto no good elsewhere.....

Reply Posted by neil on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 10:34
always at least 1 moaning about money being spent elsewere where do younguns today have to go besides street corners get a grip ya moanin ***** im just guessing that the ones moaning dont have teenage kids good on council i say

Reply Posted by concerned on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 10:46
Actually I have 3 teenage children I just think they r unsafe ive seen many seripus accidents on those skate parks I just think it could be spent elsewhere... not a miserable **** or owt but regardless of a skate park or not kids will still hang on street corners

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 13:03
The best thing would be an indoor skate park, however I would hazard a guess that it would cost a lot more than 100k to build / manage. The old Zero Ice building is marked for demolition as part of the town centre expansion, isn't that why Zero Ice close?
I also think the section 106 money can only be used for projects like this, so either its spent on this project here or a similar project in another area... it cannot be used for roads etc.

Reply Posted by GK on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 13:55
£100,000 ????? Are they having a laugh. I'm all for giving kids somewhere to go but why is it costing so much?????

Reply Posted by neil on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 14:50
always at least 1 moaning about money being spent elsewere where do younguns today have to go besides street corners get a grip im just guessing that the ones moaning dont have teenage kids good on council i say

Reply Posted by Littleoldlady on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 15:59
Some one has to make these young persons lives better, now how about some decent jobs for them too. I remember my youth, we had work and money to spend, result....happiness!

Reply Posted by bananas on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 16:07
what ever happened to the boy scouts, girl guides. boys brigade, girls brigade, cubs, pathfinders, majorettes, karate clubs boxing clubs, football clubs, 4 got..council had a hand in shutting everything. 100,000 grand for a skate park. lovely.

Reply Posted by dniel on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 18:53
concerened, i agree with there needing to be staff. skateparks are un safe, the house in sheffield is a good park and fully insured. on these out door skate parks kids take drugs and cause misschife, what do they do when it rains?? go smash up bus stops and graffite, at least in a proper built indoor they can have events, music and competitions

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday February 6 2014 at 08:32
Are you serious, these are some sweeping statements. My son and his friends are 'anti-drug' and if he was taking something believe me I would know. He also doesn't smash up bus stops or writes Graffiti.
I think you will feed that this type of behaviour doesn't just sit with 'Skaters' or 'BMX' kids, it sits across all age ranges, I also know from first hand that some of the bad behaviour at the Skate Park my son uses is not down to the skaters but other 'kids' hanging around.
As for unsafe? so is crossing the road and walking through town on a Friday / Saturday night

Reply Posted by Avril on Thursday February 6 2014 at 13:58
I agree , The repairs at Dorothy Hyman astro turf pitch should have come first .not saying " Its not going to be repaired at all , we cant fund it ? ! They ve taked £100.000 out of the Housing Development s money to make a skate park ? doesn't make sense to me .. Surely that's for Housing ? People have gone for years to the Hymans pitch , men who can only normally do their sports AFTER work at night , now they' ve taken that away for a kids Skate Park to be priority ?. There is a skate park there already at Cudworth , so why make another AND .. more people use the football pitches than skate . its a hobby , BMBC are a joke !.

Reply Posted by Dave on Friday February 7 2014 at 12:19
Suggest you look up what section 106 money is. You seem to have got the wrong idea.

Reply Posted by allen on Thursday February 6 2014 at 17:50
1 there is a indoor skate park its in wath and its pretty good
2 it cost loads to go to house, or wath
3 thornes at Wakefield is not staffed. the people there who using it staff it
4 yes it is dangerous and it hurts but you have a choice to wear protection or not
5 I'm not a young lad I'm 43 and skate and most of my friends skate we have a age range from 12 to 50 so its not just young yob's in huddies.

and 6...............RAD ON.......................

Reply Posted by g on Thursday February 6 2014 at 18:16
ill give it 6 mths before its damaged or vandalised or parts stolen all new benches and tables only did 4 more gangs in country park as if we ent enough with wineoes druggies and doggers needed to be indoors so it could be supervised

Reply Posted by true red on Thursday February 6 2014 at 20:01
On the above subject it wasn't too long ago that the place that the skate park is to be built was underwater from flooding or have the council forgotten. If not may I suggest that during the next flood they should hand out free snorkeling equipment for the truly hard ent skater or at least give free swimming lessons.

Reply Posted by Shaun on Friday February 7 2014 at 12:17
The money is not council money if you want to put it in layman's terms the money comes from builders .To get planning permission they pay sweeteners to the council for community projects

Reply Posted by Simon on Friday February 7 2014 at 19:58
There's some right mardy bums on here! If you want the astro turf or pot holes fixing speak to the council they're not gonna be sat about reading these articles looking for what to do next.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday February 8 2014 at 17:08
Typical Barnsley reaction to this.

The same people who whinge and moan about a 'waste of money' project, are the very same people who whinge that there's nothing for the kids to do !!!

Reply Posted by Deb on Sunday February 9 2014 at 09:39
We need more physical activities for Kids in barnsley, unfortunatly kids do get hurt, they do need to wear safty stuff. activities does keep kids out of trouble.

ipso Regulated