Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event


Residents Evacuated After Fire Sparks Gas Leak

Monday February 3 2014

RESIDENTS were evacuated after a gas leak was sparked by a fire in the cellar of a terraced house.

Fire crews from Tankersley, Stocksbridge and Barnsley stations were called to the fire at 5:15am Monday morning on Green Road in Penistone.

When crews arrived the three occupants were already safely out of the terraced house.

The fire was in the cellar and was quickly extinguished by firefighters.

However, the fire had caused a gas leak which prompted the surrounding properties to be evacuated as a precaution.

The fire is believed to have started by accident, although a fire investigation is still ongoing.

Fire crews left the scene at 8:30am.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
7 Showing 7 comments

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Monday February 3 2014 at 14:53
How does a fire accidentally start in a damp cellar??

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 13:21
google it

Reply Posted by anan on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 14:03
EXACTLY how could that be.

Reply Posted by A friend on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 14:11
this girl is a friend of myn and they have lost a lot of things and all people can say is how did the firse start??? really!!!! this is a joke and people should show a little compassion.

Reply Posted by Neighbour on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 18:37
I live nearby and saw the amount of smoke so I'm not surprised there's a lot of damage. Just glad everyone got out ok, possessions can be replaced, people can't!

Reply Posted by Friend on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 19:31
I am a friend of the family and it was an electrical fault, they were very lucky thanks to their smoke alarms, make this story make you go check yours and let's not make this another wab let's attack with stupid comments 'anonymous'

Reply Posted by Justice on Thursday February 6 2014 at 20:08
Really pleased no one was injured. I hope the family will be able to recover from the shock and financial losses. Best wishes to the affected family and those that are giving them support.

ipso Regulated