Plans Submitted For Town's First Sainsbury's Supermarket

Monday February 3 2014

Sainsbury's are set to take over B&Q's premises Sainsbury's are set to take over B&Q's premises

PLANS to convert a B&Q store into a Sainsbury's supermarket have been submitted to the council.

The supermarket giant is proposing to convert the DIY store, on Bleachcroft Way at Stairfoot Business Park, creating up to 400 jobs.

The plans - which will include a new store entrance, toilets, cash machines and a cafe on the 73,500 sq ft site - will also feature a reconfigured car park to improve traffic circulation.

"The Sainsbury's proposal will provide an additional main food shopping facility in Barnsley that will improve consumer choice and competition," its application stated.

"Sainsbury's is not currently represented in Barnsley in terms of providing a main food offer, so shoppers who wish to shop at Sainsbury's have to travel to stores further afield."

At present the building is restricted to the sale of DIY products only - but Sainsbury's is hopeful this will be lifted by Barnsley Council.

Vehicle and pedestrian access is from Bleachcroft Way, while the number of disabled spaces will increase from 13 to 38 and the number of mother and child spaces will increase from six to 25.

Reply Posted by damien on Monday February 3 2014 at 15:08
Hope my wife gets a job here seeing how shes losing hers stressed and worried been at b&q 8 years after been made redudant twice before gents and hat company

Reply Posted by Marilyn on Monday February 3 2014 at 15:11
Hope it stocks their excellent clothing range too. Tesco will have to buck up its ideas and retrain their mostly rude and ignorant checkout staff!!!!

Reply Posted by omg on Monday February 3 2014 at 15:23
Says creating 400 jobs, how many is it throwing away getting rid of b&q? ... I don't think it will do much. There's Tesco aldi n Iceland not far away

Reply Posted by crazy davw on Monday February 3 2014 at 16:05
only scruffs shop at iceland

Reply Posted by Littleoldlady on Monday February 3 2014 at 15:59
I am sure there is a market for Sainsburys' it will make a change from the ever increasing pound shops.

Reply Posted by littleoldman on Monday February 3 2014 at 16:02
why littleoldlady? Have they put thier prices up then?

Reply Posted by dene on Monday February 3 2014 at 16:27
thought they built this 1 at Stairfoot to change the one at Corton wood and put lots of shops in it ,,,

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday February 3 2014 at 17:08
Why Stairfoot, it's already a nightmare with traffic as it is.???

Reply Posted by emma on Monday February 3 2014 at 19:48
how would you apply? are they going to be recruiting?

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday February 3 2014 at 19:52
Sainsburys gets my blessing, it's just what Barnsley needs. Their "own brand" food is beautiful. This will save me going to Wakefield to do my weekly shop.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday February 3 2014 at 20:08
Supermarket saturation! Something, s gonna give! How much food do we need to buy. Barmy.

Reply Posted by Nic on Monday February 3 2014 at 20:19
More jobs, can't be a bad thing!! Good luck with the applications, people.

Reply Posted by Clare on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 05:19
Good.hope we get it.they have better choice of organic food and they r not as expensive as people think.don't shop i can supermarkets much as they are all as bad and end having to trail round them all because they don't have what i want on the shelf.the quality of fruit and veg in most ogre them is appauling especially at Asda and morrisons and choice is bday at tesco

Reply Posted by patricia on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 06:51
They seem to have more choice of free from foods it will save me going to Wakefield.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 09:46
I don't know why people are excited about Sainsburys. It is my nearest supermarket in London. I hate Sainsburys. Rip off prices. For example, a tin of borlotti beans costs 70p, I can get them for 39p in the local Arabic supermarket. Why don't people abandon the supermarkets and go to Barnsley market? Far better quality.

Reply Posted by Me on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 20:40
I thought tesco's had blocked planning permission as they had a contract with council stating no new supermarkets within a mile of them when they built the store?

Reply Posted by Lomas Locksmiths Barnsley on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 20:55
Id sooner go to market or use the other local foodshops.all these supermarkets are sucking the life out of the local shops

Reply Posted by Mandy Cadman on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 21:11
Some people are such arses iceland is not for scruffs it provides cheap ways to shop for parents who are on low incomes am one of them people I work god damn hard for pittance and I provide healthy and stable meals for my daughter and myself by shopping at places like aldi and iceland

Reply Posted by kerry katona on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 21:21
They're snobs Mandy love. Ignore!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday February 6 2014 at 11:02
Seems the WAB police have been deleting my posts again.

400 jobs is not to be sniffed at is it?

As long as they are full time and go to people born and bred in this country, then Sainsbury's could build one on every street as far as I am concerned.

That better WAB Police?

Reply Posted by Muso on Thursday February 6 2014 at 21:44
400 jobs will be mostly part-time, Minus the jobs lost from B&Q. Minus the jobs caused by lay offs at Tesco. Minus the jobs taken by people from out of the area= not alot and they will probably be on zero hours contracts.

Reply Posted by J on Thursday February 6 2014 at 21:49
Can't wait for sainsburys to open it a save a trip to Huddersfield or Wakefield
But I do think it's in the wrong place we could really do with a supermarket on the west side of town but like everything else we just get forgotten

Reply Posted by Gilly on Friday February 7 2014 at 20:10
What about the loss of a DIYstore, Where will we go for that sort of stuff when B&Q closes?

Reply Posted by K Brown on Friday February 7 2014 at 20:56
well said Mandy Cadman!... completely agree.....