WABers Complain About New Recycling Scheme

Thursday January 23 2014

SCORES of people have flooded our page to criticise the council's new white paper bag recycling scheme.

We asked you in a recent WAB Debate what you thought of the initiative - and it's made for quite interesting reading!

You can view that and add your thoughts by clicking here.

The white paper bag, as pictured, is an all-new scheme.

The council says it's a hard-wearing, hessian-like 55-litre bag for paper recycling, but many have claimed it'll simply blow away once it's been emptied.

Martin took to our WAB Debate and said: "It's a daft idea. It's tiny and the wind will blow the contents everywhere."

Another WABer said: "What a waste of money. I put the bag out for emptying before Christmas, as did most of the street. Guess what? It was a windy day and most ended up flying around the street."

AJ said: "I hate the new recycling scheme. The bag is awful and paper just ends up wet. I think this will reduce the amount of recycling, not increase it."

Gillian said: "There are eight houses on our street and the first time we put them out six of them blew away after emptying! What a waste of money."

The debate - which is still ongoing - has generated over 90 comments.

Readers urged WAB to get in touch with Barnsley Council to ask what they're planning on doing to stop bags blowing away.

A council spokesperson said: "Collection crews have been briefed to place the emptied white sack into the blue cardboard bin when presented at the same time.

"If a white sack is presented by itself, the crew will endeavour to replace the empty sack in such a way that minimises the risk of it blowing away.

"The sack has a 300g weight sewn into its base to help prevent it blowing away in other than severe weather conditions."

Reply Posted by Justice on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:06
I have not received an answer to my question!
Does this white bag go in the gray bin or the green bin when I get one?

Reply Posted by Mum on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:35
It doesn't go in any bin you put it out on its own. Before your paper went in the blue bin, and card went in the green bin now paper goes in the white bag and card goes in the blue bin.

Reply Posted by Mum on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:35

Reply Posted by patricia. on Friday January 24 2014 at 07:13
Not in any bin, you leave it by your bin to be collected. that's if it hasn't blown away of course ,or soaking wet. some stupid ideas the council come up with but this is a lou-lou.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:18
It goes in the blue bin, read the instructions

Reply Posted by barnsleymbcwastemoney on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:20
its not just the white bag the new scheme is very confusing .and what happens if you are away and miss collection you could be up to 8 weeks for the next collection .
it got me one of the excuses is garden waste in winter well it was those jokers at the council that stopped this due to limited demand .
all this to save money not help us .
who did they ask about this ? no one has asked us members of the public what we think .

Reply Posted by Chan on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:20
It still doesn't solve the problem of over filled bins in general. The collection of glass plastic metal n cardboard still need emptying every 2 weeks at a minimum. Even the big bins which I have with a family of 6 still overflow. N that's with recycling. The council really need to re evaluate this matter. There will be a lot more cases of ppl not recycling and fly tipping. There will also be a lot of people taking their bins to a different St. And putting them out twice a week and to b fair I don't blame them.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:29
As the blue plastic bags were unfit for purpose and were replaced by a blue bin, the white hessian bags might just work???? Are they going to be better because they are white or because they are hessian?
I suggest which ever dimwit has changed it back to the way it didnt work, should use a crisp bag to put thier common sense in. There would still be space for the rest of thier brains plus the crisps. Bonkers and will be a waste of money....again

Reply Posted by arggghhh on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:29
4 weeks between collections is way too long , our bottles tins and plastic bin cant cope for that long im having to take them to the dumpit . or is this just the start of a monthly collection for the grey bin too hmmm

Reply Posted by T on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:31
I totally agree! when were we asked what would be for the best? never, these bags are a waste of time I for one don't want to be the last one home on bin day to collect the mouldy bag no one else wants.....mine is currently dying a death in the back of the shed and will stay there.....im looking forward to windy days now so I can pick all the blown paper up out of my garden.... NOT

Reply Posted by betty1970 on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:35
I cannot believe that they are changing the recycling (brown bin) to every 4 weeks, our brown bin is always full after 2 weeks of empty bottle, tins, plastic etc. with a bag for paper, well this is another bag that has to be stored in my home whilst filling it as well as the recycling stuff!!!!

Reply Posted by Chris on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:46
The question was....DO WE THINK THE BAGS ARE A GOOD IDEA?

The answer was......NO

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:17
To be honest ..... I will just be putting my waste paper in the grey bin and won't be recycling it!

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:33
I think any rubbish that can't be fitted in the appropriate bin/bag will have to just be piled up outside the town hall

Reply Posted by Paul on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:56
If the Bin Collectors are told to place the white bag in the blue bin. I challenge any of Roy Millers elderly friends or family, or even Roy Miller himself to get the bag back out without tipping it up and having to get down on their knees.

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:10
What blue bin iv'e never had one? whats that for?

Reply Posted by Me.. on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:33
Blue bin is now cardboard - even with bigger blue and bigger brown bins, flattening cardboard, plastic bottles n cans 4 weeks is too long between collections, cut down on the collection of green bins as i bet mine will go out once btwn now & end of march then once a mth is ample & increase brown & blue bin collections please. Waste collectors did every other white bag in blue bin this week at mine - so clearly not paid attention to new briefing!

Reply Posted by Hoss on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:51
It's Ok folks, they've sewn 300g weights into them to prevent them blowing away in anything other than extreme weather..............hang on.........so when we get 90mph winds were gonna have a load of 300g weights flying about, just in case the strong winds don't cause enough property damage on its own !!!! Who's running the bloody asylum in Barnsley ???!!!

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:08
Steve Houghton. Make you feelings known at the voting booths. The lot of them at BMBC are usless. Barnsley needs a change.

Reply Posted by Claire on Thursday January 23 2014 at 15:07
The white bags have not been placed inside the blue bins . There is shredded paper and waste all over the street . The bags are blowing all over the place till residents on the street have collected them and placed them in other peoples bins for them. With the amount it will cost to keep replacing these bags surely just providing a new bin in the first plane would have been a better idea! As for collecting the brown bin every 4 weeks it's clearly not enough

Reply Posted by Mum on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:42
If you call 01226 770770 and ask to speak to your local counselor, explain the bin men are not doing their jobs and we can get these bags removed. I'm having the same problem and they did the same so I contacted my counselor, he's advised me to have everyone whos affected, contact their local counselor and get a stop put to this.

Reply Posted by Matt on Thursday January 23 2014 at 15:38
Blue bins are PAPER ... white bags are paper..green bins are CARDBOARD

You'd think they'd know what bin does what... there's only 4 of them!

Whats up with the blue bins... ours is hardly ever full so only goes out every few months as it is!

Reply Posted by Mum on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:38
No Matt, the green bins are now ONLY for garden waste all year round, blue is now ONLY for cardboard, white bag ONLY for paper and brown stays the same with plastic and tins.

Reply Posted by Matt on Thursday January 23 2014 at 22:34
Hmm... considering we've not had anything telling us different and they emptied it last time round perhaps that's only for the people that are in the selected special bag lot.. If they want that doing then they should inform everyone!

Reply Posted by Susannah on Thursday January 23 2014 at 17:19
Our blue bin was emptied this morning, however all the white bags are still out waiting to be emptied? All we need now is a bit of wind. Totally rubbish idea. Not helped with e council failing dispute numerous requests to provide a larger blue bin.

Reply Posted by doesn'tmattercosnobodylistenstous on Thursday January 23 2014 at 17:21
As usual, nobody at the council seems to be listening to the public's concerns. I think the more pressing issue is the matter of monthly collections. I have the new bins and they are simply not big enough to accommodate. 4 weeks recycling. There are only 3 people in our house so how on earth are larger families going to manage? If I have too much rubbish, I can go to the local dump it but not everyone has transport to do this. Will the bin men be more lenient than they usually are if the lid won't close? Will they take any extra rubbish that doesn't fit in the bin? In the past I've had my collection refused for both these reasons. I suspect nothing will change. And in the meantime I have a big green bin that is now redundant as I don't have garden rubbish!

Reply Posted by theword on Thursday January 23 2014 at 17:39
You do realise that all these comments are a waste of time. Barnsley council will, as they always have just do as they want regardless of public opinion....And so will I. If they want me to recycle i'll have a reduction in council tax please.

Reply Posted by theword on Thursday January 23 2014 at 17:39

Reply Posted by Martin on Thursday January 23 2014 at 17:47
If we all ring the council to send out litter pickers to clean the streets after every collection and we are all ordering new white bags every month I can't see it saving any money or increasing paper recycling .
They trailed it in Doncaster and the streets were awash with waste paper and recycling bags blowing about in the wind

Reply Posted by Dot on Thursday January 23 2014 at 17:52
I have green and grey bins, a green tub, a blue bag and now I have a white sack. I don't want a blue or brown bin as no room. Can I still use the green tub for glass and plastic and the blue bag for cardboard?

Reply Posted by wanko on Thursday January 23 2014 at 18:16
barnsley council are rubbish. what colour bin can we put them in?

Reply Posted by Claire on Thursday January 23 2014 at 18:44
I'm still waiting for mine, as I never received it when they sent them out, and despite 2 emails to the Council's waste department, on both occasions all I've received is their leaflet. Are they Stupid? Or can't they read!!! In future my paper will go in my grey bin or on my fire, absolutely useless Council.

Reply Posted by Jean Slack on Friday January 24 2014 at 08:53
We are letting the government run rough shod over us all.and we sit there and take it.We say we carnt do anything about it.Instead of having a general election lets have a general strike.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:22
Would you be saying the same if Labour was in Government Jean?

Reply Posted by Caroline on Friday January 24 2014 at 12:22
The problem I had with the blue bag for paper was that the bin men never returned it, I had to keep ordering a replacement until I gave up and just used an ordinary plastic bag like everyone else on our street. The white bag is still untested for our street, at least it's got a flap to keep off the rain hopefully. I think they will just get lost like the blue ones and we will resort to using a Morrisons carrier bag again.

Reply Posted by Paul Jones on Friday January 24 2014 at 18:41
Not to mention all the rubbish that will now be dumped all over our country lanes. As if thats not bad enough already. How much will all that cost to remove...if and when it ever happens. Look at goldthorpe old railway. False economy again.

Reply Posted by Ariel C on Friday January 24 2014 at 23:32
I have a standard (small size) blue bin and a standard brown bin, it said on the letter that came through the door that I cold request larger sized blue and brown bins but the council website only offers small bins. Is there a larger size blue ad brown bin? I fill my green bin full of cardboard in a week so the small blue bin is useless to me.

Reply Posted by Ben on Saturday January 25 2014 at 01:59
We can all say its a bad idea and the blows will blow away and we want our grey bins emptied every week till we are a blue in face but im affraid nothing will change it will be stopping has it is and there is nothing we can do about..

Reply Posted by Anon on Saturday January 25 2014 at 11:41
All the recycling is a waste of time. The country has mountains of recycled waste that can't be sold or processed because no one wants it any more. It's just an excuse to make the council look good. I sent all my recycling bins back after the council refused to take recyclable waste in my green bin because they said it didn't come from my Garden and told the council as far as I was now concerned based on the amount of legal extortion they call council tax I pay every month it would now be their problem not mine

Reply Posted by Rog on Saturday January 25 2014 at 12:15
We put out newspapers out in the bag on Wednesday, as did all the street. The wagon drove up the street, back down, and left them all ....

Reply Posted by Me.. on Saturday January 25 2014 at 12:27
What management information did councillers use that showed that the new recycle system would work? Why in a democratic system were people not consulted on what they wanted or very least needed!? Took far too long to get the new bins they should have been there before the system kicked in - poor organisation, i had to manage over xmas with cardboard & cans pilling up waiting for the larger bins such a stupid time to bring in. The new system is also very confusing, people on my street are putting every bin out and hoping for the best at the minute. How many people fill thr green bin with garden waste!? The council need to show they are reacting to the concerns of residents and look at making tweeks to the system or people commenting on these posts need to vote with their feet cos i for one are sick of the pig headef council doing silly things with no regard for what we want.

Reply Posted by Di on Monday January 27 2014 at 15:15
Just had a call from waste management to discuss my concerns regarding this change. I informed them that our green bin is full every fortnight with cardboard and our blue bin is full every fortnight of paper - normally the crap that is posted through our door on a daily basis. I shred personal papers too. Our grey bin is often full and our tins and plastic bin takes about 3 weeks to fill. Was basically told tough, the decision has been made following successful trials and it's here to stay. I advised my white bag has already blown away and was told this isn't possible as it is weighted. Well, obviously I must be a liar!!!!! Forget the fact I live in an exposed location on the top of a hill. The wind has been strong enough to blow over a full grey bin but the 30 gram weights in the paper bag are supposed to be enough to keep it in one place. This scheme is ridiculous but it's not going to be stopped unless we all express our opinions with our counsellors or MP.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:01
Its all about saving the environment they told us..
Well the EU told us..
They introduced wheeled bins to cut costs and staff
They introduced the green bin to replace the blue bag and green box to cut costs
They have introduced the white bag and altered the frequency of the waste collections to cut costs
The council receives a LOT of money from US recycling OUR waste paper, tin and aluminium cans and garden waste
Not a lot of people know exactly how much the council receives in revenues for them selling OUR rubbish as the council refuse EVERY freedom of information request anyone puts in to find out exactly how much money they make out of OUR rubbish
The white paper bag is full in less than two weeks meaning that people will either bang their paper in the grey bin or backyard burn it, which kind of defeats the object as " we are trying to save the environment".
Backyard burning does absolutely nothing for the air quality does it?

IDIOTS @ BMBC GET THEM OUT!

Reply Posted by Helen Mitchel on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:27
BMBC = I am sick to my back teeth of taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back due to your lack of commonsense in the waste management dept..

1- The bins were manageable and recycling was always done in our household

2- the brown bin is always overflowing and the next collection date we will be on holiday.so 8 weeks we have to wait.

3- the white sack was emptied an it was raining heavy so now the sack is no good.

4- why can,t the council listen to people ? and I would also like to know where the trial scheme for these white sacks was.

5- sadly from now no recycling in our home and speaking to a lot of residents there feel the same way.

ipso Regulated