Drive Through Supermarket Plan Unveiled

Thursday January 23 2014

A NEW 'drive-through' shopping service will soon be introduced at Barnsley's Asda supermarket that will allow customers to be handed their shopping without ever leaving the car.

The Old Mill Lane store has been selected as one of the flagship stores to try the new pick and collect grocery service.

Gleneagles Project Service, on behalf of Asda, said: "It will allow the customer to collect their groceries without leaving the car. It provides the option for customers to shop online and collect the groceries while they are out and about."

The service is expected to run between 8am and 8pm with customers being given specific pick up time slots.

The Asda staff will pick orders and even load it into customers' cars for them.

"The process is proposed to take less than 15 minutes. This will help take pressure off the car parking requirements as it will allow for more customers to shop within a shorter frame of time."

Reply Posted by Josh on Thursday January 23 2014 at 10:15
I always knew something like this would happen. It's for the proper lazy people who don't like to socialise!

Reply Posted by Amanda on Thursday January 23 2014 at 10:16
LOVE the sound of this... Brilliant!!

Reply Posted by matt on Thursday January 23 2014 at 10:24
Tesco already do this :-)

Reply Posted by nic on Thursday January 23 2014 at 10:27
Like the click and collect at Tesco where you shop online then have the option of having it delivered or collect it from the car park kiosk .

Reply Posted by Hugh marks on Thursday January 23 2014 at 10:28
Isn't this the same service Tesco have been running for the last 18 months?
It isn't for " proper lazy people " its for " proper busy people " who maybe have to do a shop after working a full shift at work & just don't have the time or inclination to " socialise " in supermarkets when they could just collect their shopping & go home.
It works well at Tesco so I imagine it will at Asda too. Anything that makes life easier & means I can get home & spend time with my family is fine by me!

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:20
Take the family shopping with you Hugh? I would rather pick my own groceries, you can't beat it.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Thursday January 23 2014 at 11:09
A free service or at what cost? Are they going to have a special area of the car park for this facility? 15 minutes sat in the car waiting is not a quick service for a collection when you have an allocated pick up time...

Reply Posted by Tom on Sunday January 26 2014 at 17:53
You are the delivery man. It's easier for them to dispatch from store than it is for them to deliver, it's a logistics thing to reduce operating costs.

I used ASDA online a couple of times perhaps some 7 years ago, and there was free delivery.

I don't shop in their outlets much anymore due to the self service machines and lack of staff to process my 'order'. If I have to scan my own items, I expect to be paid a wage and gain other employee rights (in ASDA's case that means tax credits and other in work benefits issued by Western governments to susbsidise these oligopolistic organisations - I'd be expecting an entitlement to US government healthcare benefits and EBT food stamps under the SNAP program when holidaying.there if I was a regular Walmart/ASDA customer using the self service machines for example).

Many other supermarkets and convenience stores pack your bags for you, and they scan/tally up your bill too. (Some small stores will let you self tally and give 'credit' too, along with holding onto credit issued by yourself).

Is online delivery still free at ASDA?

When can customers claim tax credits, along with their unpaid staff, shelf stacking apprentices to make them equal to zero hours/part time/unknown time/full time agency workers?

I dislike ASDA because when I shop there I feel like I'm due a payslip for work done.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday January 23 2014 at 11:53
think its stupid what ever next

Reply Posted by ron on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:31
Id rather take the kids to the park for an hour than drag them round Asda. Supermarket shopping is mind numbingly tedious. But if that's your idea of a fun family outing then good for you.

Reply Posted by ron on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:51
Both. And in between swimming, going to the library, visiting the museum and going to the grandparents we can't be bothered going shopping. So if we don't have to then great!

Reply Posted by Sarah on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:36
Wakefield asda already do this

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 23 2014 at 19:51
Jesus, whatever next. A toilet that washes and drys your arse, drive in fast food restaurants, drive in grocery shops, car washes, online food shopping that the driver brings to your door. No one is going to do things for themselves, socialise or be independant. Britain is getting lazier as time goes on talk about healthy eating now no one is going to be moving about.

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday January 23 2014 at 19:53
Well said Lauren.

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 23 2014 at 23:22
Thanks @Fred think it's absolutely stupid encouraging people to be lazy. Someone said above it tedious and boring for the children. I write my kids a list each they come to asda with me and my partner, they get a shopping basket each and they love looking around finding the items on the list. They tick them off that's fun and learning all in one. Peaceful shopping trip as the kids are entertained I'm entertained by them trying to work out where the items are make it fun and the kids will enjoy it. Then take them to park for being good while out shopping. They do as they are told they get rewarded for it.

Reply Posted by Wendy on Friday January 24 2014 at 06:42
Getting more n more like America every day, what a STUPID idea!!!!

Reply Posted by Patricia on Friday January 24 2014 at 07:08
Wakefield already have one, since it was done (and I go different times and day ,twice a week some-times) I've seen four cars use it, if you go to pick it up ,why not do the shopping,

Reply Posted by Vicki on Friday January 24 2014 at 10:55
I've tried all the "making it fun" options, but my five year old simply wants to be somewhere else and not in the ASDA. I think its a great idea and will be using it. As for being lazy, you try working 40 hours a week, committing to swimming lessons, ballet and other clubs for your children! I have zero time for myself, and thats my choice, but I wont be called lazy for wanting to make life a little simpler. The two hours I save now will be better spent with my children - perhaps going for a bike ride or to the park. Dont think that's being lazy, do you? Some people ought to get in the real world.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:45
I also have 2 kids 8 girl singer, violin practice, guitar practice and 5 boy football, karate aswell I work in a school full time (part from today as I am ill) sometime I don't get in til 7pm from working at 7am but my partner heIps put loads I don't want to get up at 5 in the morning but its tough I have to do it and it's the same with my kids they would rather be on ps4 or playing hairdressers or spending time with me and my partner but it's tough you have to get things done making thing fun is a lot easier for me and my kids. I hope it works for your child and makes it easier for you but people are in the same boat as you and me its just part of life and I never said anyone particular was lazy it was in general and I also have no time for myself that's why I have to get up at 5 every mornin to get myself ready, wake the kids up and then I can at least try and get half an hour with them before we leave for school my lazy parent comment was not aimed at you or any other person on this news thread it was in general

Reply Posted by Vicki on Friday January 24 2014 at 12:04
It may be part of everyday life, but the whole point of introducing something like this is so that it doesn't have to be. When you make "general" comments, it puts everyone in the same category and therefore attacks everyone. You're obviously lucky and have a partner there to help, mine works away all week and is home on a Saturday morning - making it even better that I will no longer have to be in the supermarket as he's walking through the door at home. Both your comments bang on about being lazy, and how things like this encourage laziness - you can't tell me you've never used online delivery, taken your kids through a drive-through or ordered a takeaway. It's all about practicality and not attacking those of us who utilise it.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 24 2014 at 12:20
I'm not attacking anyone good god it's my opinion which I am perfectly entitled to have. I have a hard job but I still find time to do it. My partner works full time aswell. The school my kids go to do a lot of after school activities which my kids take part in which also allows me and my partner to work the hours we do. As for takeaways McDonald's etc no I don't order takeaways and as for McDonald yes on a very rare occasions and never ever used online shopping. I think it will encourage laziness and so what if I do it doesn't matter what I think it's my opinion, you have yours, I have mine. I not the only one who agrees so have a pop at them aswell as me. Your not the only one who is busy and rarely spends time with family but we make it work if it this will help you then fair enough.

Reply Posted by The real Fred! on Sunday January 26 2014 at 00:01
I can't believe how lazy I am!

I'd much rather spend my time; with my family; playing sport; socialising, anything really other than fighting through the queues to park my car, dealing the the idiots blocking the the isles talking bollocks and the ignorant check out staff,

What a disgrace I am !!!!

Reply Posted by The truth on Saturday January 25 2014 at 15:05
Yaaay pander to fat lazy people, maybe you should give them money to sit at home drinking and smoking too.

Reply Posted by Loz on Saturday January 25 2014 at 15:18
So well said The truth!!!!!...

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday January 25 2014 at 23:54
The truth ... They already do it's called 'job seekers allowance' !!!!

Reply Posted by Tom on Monday January 27 2014 at 13:47
Should call it tax payers allowance due to high regressive taxes on fags and beer - if you think it all gets spent on fags and beer.

It baffles me why people get wound up about people giving their dole back to the government via highly taxed goods.

It's the ones spending their dole (be it pensions, tax credits, rental income from housing benefit, jsa etc. along with wages from the public sector, p3 and state sanctioned monopolies) on imported food and foreign owned public transport, utilities, water etc. that are 'bleeding the country dry' if you take moment to think about it.

Reply Posted by Daftcomment on Saturday January 25 2014 at 15:06
Wot is it a smash and grab

Reply Posted by Chan on Saturday January 25 2014 at 15:26
Well I think it's a great idea. Yes ppl will use the service just to be lazy but that is their choice. It's brilliant 4 working families. The elderly, and disabled. I 4 one will give it a go. I'd rather not take 4 kids to a busy supermarket where u can garentee someone will be rude n selfish to the kids. I'd rather let them help on the computer it gives them computer skills that way.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday January 25 2014 at 15:45
Wish people would stop banging on about it being for lazy ppl. Its personal choice at end of day. Some people are none stop busy with families, work etc. I hate shopping both clothes shopping and household shopping. Would rather be doing something else that's fun. If I can order online and pick up plus saving money by not putting shit in trolley that you don't really need as you walk round and see offers, then it's good.
End of day some will use it some won't but people shouldn't judge other's either. I'd like to think picking shopping up after work shift with out hassle of waiting at tills dodging ppl with trolley and notto mention trolleys that have a mind of their own haha. Anything that makes life easier for people to spend quality time with people they love or just relaxing after work etc is a good idea

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday January 26 2014 at 10:45
Went to Wakefield yesterday and popped into Asda, they already have the drive through.

The drve through was empty but the supermaket was really busy. It looks like people prefer shop themselves, just like me.

Reply Posted by Adele on Sunday January 26 2014 at 17:18
It's worth a pilot scheme, see how it runs :)

Reply Posted by Danny on Sunday January 26 2014 at 17:38
Asda have not introduced this to give customers more choice/family time or make them lazy or fitter. They hope to attract or retain more customers and make more profit. If the scheme is succesful ie makes Asda more money it will persist otherwise the wonderful idea will be quietly shelved. If you think it's great use it but don't rely on it being available for ever.

Reply Posted by Sue on Sunday January 26 2014 at 18:37
I use the Asda online shopping service as I don't have a car. It makes my life a hell of a lot easier. Also supermarket shopping is boring and irritating.

Reply Posted by Jay on Sunday January 26 2014 at 18:52
@ Lauren oh isn't your life just so perfect I take non of your children have special needs & you don't live 1 hr round trip to a supermarket
I have a son with autism this can make a trip to the supermarket a knight mare
In our case I think online shopping is great And can make shopping stress free in an already stressed house

Reply Posted by Jay on Sunday January 26 2014 at 19:02
I use to work for Tescos as an online driver just put it this way if a store is doing 300 to 600 online orders a day that's 300 to 600 less families in the store

Reply Posted by M on Sunday January 26 2014 at 19:05
All the supermarkets offer an online service. Just because people use them doesn't make people lazy. Its their choice. I personally find shopping of any kind stressful. I would rather spend my precious days off with my children instead of dragging them round a busy supermarket making something I find stressful more stressful. Having a child with extra needs and auditory sensory processing issues (can't deal with lots of noise basically) who hates supermarkets as they are not particularly well set up for people with sensory issues.
If using online shopping makes me lazy well so be it. Oh and I work too (on maternity leave but was on 12.25 hr nights prior to maternity leave) shopping after a stressful night shift isn't what I enjoy either. I needed sleep! Several fast food restaurants have drive throughs too.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 27 2014 at 12:31
@Jay, actually my life is far from perfect. I barely spend time with any of my family. So when we go shopping I actually get time to spend with them we ate so busy. That's what I was saying. Yes it's very stressful having children with Autism I worked with children in a specialist school, so I understand how challenging it can be. If you read my comments I have said this is my opinion and so what if it work for some then fair enough

Reply Posted by Symone on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 13:43
I think Lauren is absolutely spot on with what she is saying and yes for some people this May suit them but isn't this what the online ordering and delivery service is for? Iv never used this but am sure there's people out there that need this to make there life that bit easyer but going to a "drive through supermarket" is just ridicules... Expecialy with children with disabilitys sat in the car stood for 15mins when you can get it delivered if it's such a stressful experience takeing them into the supermarket.. there is a lot a people that do like this as it means they dnt have to move and I personally think this is silly and they shud keep it how it is just get more staff to make it that little bit faster