Football Scouts Hunt For Future Barnsley Players

Thursday January 30 2014

Oakwell Oakwell

MORE than 2,000 junior footballers are being scouted every week in Barnsley as the Reds' academy aims to unearth its future stars.

The club employs 25 scouts to watch players as young as eight in the hope to find the next John Stones.

The defender, who now plays for Premier League high-flyers Everton, is just one of the local stars who started out at the academy.

Academy chief Ronnie Branson revealed that top flight teams are also sending their scouts to the town but remains confident youngsters will opt for their hometown club.

He said: "You see the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool scouts watching games in Barnsley.

"We've seen some aggressive scouting methods but we want to do it the right way.

"We form relationships with clubs and build links. We're very honest about our aims and ambitions.

"We don't have the financial resources that some clubs have but we know that players will enjoy it here and we've got the success stories to back it up."

Reply Posted by Chris Corbett on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:19
Ask them to come and scout my son on Sunday morning. No.7, Junior Tykes U12's, 10.30am kick off. Laithes Lane.

Reply Posted by Lol on Friday January 31 2014 at 09:23
Have you tried Remploy.

Reply Posted by daz on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:35
Chris tha time for kickoff has changed to 12.30 mate

Reply Posted by daz on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:39
Allso tha junior tykes u8s hav only lost twice in two years and r ranked number 1 in the sheffield league yet no scout has been down to watch them

Reply Posted by elaine on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:42
come and scout my grandson JOE NEWTON ARDSLEY ATHELICS UNDER 10 s brilliant player

Reply Posted by jet on Thursday January 30 2014 at 12:31
When is the next home game.

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday January 30 2014 at 12:35
NEXT HOME GAME IS WHEN THERE PLAY ON THERE OWN PITCH

Reply Posted by Proud Dad on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:58
My son is in his first year at the academy and couldn't be happier, club are open and honest as they stat, clear development structure in place for all players which challenges them but in a happy friendly manner.

Reply Posted by C on Thursday January 30 2014 at 17:30
Barnsley academy is probably 1 of the worst in the country for development,facility's 1 of best yes..as a barnsley lad I'd recommend Wednesday n Leeds for development..seen 2 many kids picked up n thrown aside in a year or 2,it's a money orientated academy....

Reply Posted by Josh on Thursday January 30 2014 at 20:46
Nephew is playing at u7's donny rovers tournament tmoz leeds academy is there too

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 21:54
Joe newton number 10.
Game on Sunday at Vida. 12 noon Ko.

Reply Posted by Jet on Thursday January 30 2014 at 22:23
Thanks for that information

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 16:46
game postponed sun due to weather

Reply Posted by a on Saturday February 1 2014 at 17:11
I'm 1 of committee members at junior tykes loads of talent down there especially under 9's

Reply Posted by ktkt on Saturday February 1 2014 at 17:20
I know about 3 lads who could of made but the academy only cares about who has the money to make it, Joke

Reply Posted by fawkes on Saturday February 1 2014 at 23:38
let hope they turn up something good

Reply Posted by Mick perry on Saturday February 8 2014 at 22:10
It is intersting reading, however when my son had a trial for barnsley, he had an injury early on, never got a game even when declared fit, and the feedback at rnd of trial was watch more football on telly!!! No great feedback ehh

Reply Posted by Jamie Fort on Friday May 9 2014 at 23:02
I got offered to play for Burnley 2 years ago but it was to far i live in Selby, I'm 15 years old and have played football all my life and hoped to do it for the rest of my life until 3 months ago when my local football folded:( Anyway i'm just hoping someone is reading this will give me a chance, as i am aware the chances of me getting scouted after 16 are slim, kind regards - Jamie Fort

Reply Posted by Tony Duane on Wednesday February 3 2016 at 18:02
Barnsley have just scouted my son and he truly is a talented player. He reads things others just can't see. I also coach grassroots level and want the best for my son. I truly believe he will have a future in the game as he is so passionate about the game. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Plus i have two other great players that are at the same level. All boys are under 8s but if you seen them play you wouldn't believe it. Northowram Juniors in Halifax. All welcome to come and see. Cheers