News » WAB Debate

Council Paper Recycling Bags - What Do You Think?

Tuesday January 14 2014

PEOPLE have started receiving their paper recycling bags from Barnsley Council. What do you think to them? Do you think they're a good idea? Have your say on our WAB Debate.

The white paper bag, as pictured, is a new scheme.

The council says it's a hard-wearing, hessian-like 55-litre bag for paper recycling.

Cllr Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "The people of Barnsley have been fantastic in the way they have taken to recycling, taking us to a rate of 46 per cent, which seemed an unthinkable target only a few years ago.

"The changes in these services will allow them to continue recycling with minimal impact."

Have you received yours? If so, what do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Bradski on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 12:59
This recycle games making millions of pounds that not 1 of us feel the benefit from it's about time that the money that they make from it helped to reduce our council tax

Reply Posted by LV on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:54
You realise the BMBC section of Council Tax hasn't gone up for a number of years right? Ever thought this could be the reason for that little fact? Although they could always put up the Council Tax regardless so that they can eradicate the deficit in the CT budget so that people on benefits don't have to pay the 15% contribution.

Reply Posted by cp on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:02
Sounds a silly question but what happens once they are emptied?my paper bin has a tendancy of tipping/moving in wind so i would only assume that if these are left empty on the edge of your drive/path they will end up in the neighbours garden 6 houses down

Reply Posted by Martin on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:03
It's tiny and yes I can get an other but still won't last. 4 weeks
Plus the wind will blow the contents every were
A daft idea

Reply Posted by Sue on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:09
I thought the old system was better paper in blue bin cardboard in green! since I got the white bag my paper goes in grey bin and green as been made redundant for awhile and wont get used much I have 2 compost bins so compost most of my garden waste myself.

Reply Posted by council yet again useless on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:21
What a waste of money . Who the heck thinks of these silly ideas.

Before xmas put the bag out, so did most of the street..Guess what windy day and binmen just throw on the ground after emptying and most were blown down the street.

Council have my vote for been the biggest LOAD OF SHITE AWARD

what was wrong with the old scheme BLUE FOR PAPER--so simple to wheel out when full and easy to manage...ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE MR COUNCIL. now stop wasting money and scrap these silly bags,

Reply Posted by To wab on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:38
Will WAB please forward these messages to the council and lets get rid of the silly bag or better still put the bag over the head of the person who authorised this.

Reply Posted by Amanda on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 17:07
I couldnt agree more, it is a crazy idea just as the blue bags were before we got the blue bins, they just blew away as well!!!! It is a council of idiots in Barnsley, all they come up with is ways to spend money on stupid ideas, ie silly comb structure outside town hall for one, does anyone really like the look of it or want it there, i would rather have had a few potholes filled in myself!!!

Reply Posted by salreb on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:29
I knew nothing of changes and have had nothing through the door. Neighbours were confused too about Xmas collections, I'm unsure if we should have received something with this info on.
It's a good thing we are recycling more. My issue is the carelessness of the bin men and where they leave the bins, a hessian bag maybe a nightmare. Why not concentrate on recycling plastic? This would be more welcome by environmentaloats and people who have a lit of plastic to get rid of.

Reply Posted by Barry on Thursday January 16 2014 at 15:59
Plastic bottles go in the brown bin

Reply Posted by AJ on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:31
Hate the new recycling scheme. The bag is awful paper just ends up wet, my puppy thinks it great to take the paper out and rip it up. I've sent the green bin back as it's now redundant and even with the new bigger bins I'll struggle to fit a months worth of recycling in as we are a family of 5. I think this will reduce the amount of recycling not increase it

Reply Posted by maria on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:34
What a waste of money, we have a blue bin for paper and so have alot of other people, why change things when the current scheme is working.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:36
I live by darton college when these bags get put out the kids had emptied the bag all over the street I a decent person I picked it all up but this is the most stupidest idea any one can come up with why not bring a proper bin out for paper or just put the paper in with the cardboard it's stupid

Reply Posted by angela on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:38
should leave it as it was. I wont be using them when I receive it. it will all go in the grey bin. bin men get rubbish all over our cul de sac so now we will end up with everyone elses paper bags too. stupid council

Reply Posted by Pissed off on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:39
Total waste if time. Dustbins blow down the street where i live so what chance have these got. The refuse collectors dont exactly help when they have emptied them or bins just leaving them 3 doors up. Knackers to using these bags, how many of us really do want to go chasing these bags around the streets. My paper will go in general waste from now on. As for the green bin. Mines been empty now for weeks!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Gillian Littlewood on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:47
There are 8 houses on our street and the first time we put them out, 6 of them blew away after emptying!!!
What a waste of money, at least the blue bin never blew away. What am I supposed to put it in now? (And if the council expect me to buy another, forget it)

Reply Posted by pp on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:50
did they think about pensioners when they came up with this idea dont think so what a waste of time these stupid bags are

Reply Posted by Mike T on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:09
you people are idiots. The winds at the time these bags were distriubuted out were the strongest in 20 years. Anyone with any common sense would have kept theirs in. I did over a month ago and I still have enough space. If I'd have ran out I would have just emptied into grey bin.

Its a simple change and people can't handle it. Gid help us should anything serious happen.

Reply Posted by Jonh on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:36
Mike T - you are the idiot . WHAT do you do if you are unfortunate to have a windy day when it is your day for your bag to be emptied..Do not put out and same again when its windy. I am all for recycle but your comments are utter crap..The bins were fetch in for ease so the bin men don't break the backs bending down picking these silly bags up..AND YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUT IN GREY BIN..if so we might as well have just one bin you moron..

Reply Posted by ken on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:39
@ Mike T , 1 positive comment 19 negative comments.. Who do you think is the idiot? YOU

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:14
Your not aloud to put paper in the grey bin + you come to my street and pick up all the papers like I did when kids have chucked them all over the streets feel free to do so saves me a job + not just mine it's all the old ladies bags aswell I go round picking up for them

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:19
I'm all for anything that increases recycling rates & reduces costs but agree that these bags won't work when weather is bad or if you aren't putting another bin out that the bag could be put in for safe keeping after the bin men have emptied it.

Reply Posted by Matt on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:21
So Cllr Miller, tell the people of Barnsley how many complaints you have revived so far from this ridiculous paper scheme ??
I buy a newspaper every day a Sunday paper and a Chronicle, at the month end I weighed it and it's 30kg, that's more weight than I'm allowed to take on a aeroplane for a weeks holiday.
It's more weight than a bag if sand, I'm sure that weight was reduced for health and safety under the lighting and handling.
I put my bag out to be emptied and the nice men who empty our bins throu quit down at the side if the pavement. After spending 5 minuets chasing it round in the wind and dodging the traffic I finally retrieve it, at least it safes me time and expense on joining a Gym.

Reply Posted by Liz on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:28
Its first iv heard of it tbh we had bags to start with n it didnt work then so why would this be different I do recycle and aslong as there are no birthdays or decorating or anything like that we just about get by with the fortnightly system however I have good neighbours and they let me put excess into theres or we couldn't do it. I have applied twice for a bigger bin having a large family but was told if I was recycling properly we wouldnt need one we have four kids one in nappies no way could we do thw month n all those nappies in the summer sun just not gonna happen

Reply Posted by Mike on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:31
Ours arrived on our street, at least 2 of us never got one, perhaps they were blown away, e-mailed refuse to advise still not got one, my neighbours have said that their bins have blown all over when they put them out, all the contents blown about and wet, shreaded paper strewn everywhere like confetti, great idea Barnsley Cllrs

Reply Posted by natalie on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:31
Wouldn't mind it but in the midlands they have. Box that fits in the top of there bin lod down tp put paper in which would be a better idea as people have said the wind would just blow it away . But I've been waiting 5 weeks for any kind of recycling bin as we don't have any now they have changed the green bin rules can you imagine the amount of card we have over Christmas with an 8month old and 3 year old ridiculous amount so also Black bin always full in first week as no bins to separate jars tins and stuff is day and need to sort it out

Reply Posted by Nannabeth on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:37
Erm, didn't we all have blue bags for paper (albeit made from plastic) before, which were then replaced for practical reasons (eg capacity, stability) by blue bins? Haven't got a new 'paper' bag, but they don't seem to be well-received by those who have. Just another money-spinner for the recycling business?

Reply Posted by Babyboomer on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:49
Just when I thought Barnsley Council had got the recycling thing organised. Do they have a special department up there with the remit to make everything more complicated?

Why, if paper generates more income, do they want to make it harder for us to recycle it?

What about the older and frailer residents, so much easier for them to ‘wheel the bin’.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

KEEP THE BLUE BIN FOR PAPER.

Reply Posted by Kath on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:57
These bags are a waste of time i live on a street with terrace house the bag ends up down the street just like the bins do when they have been emptied by the coucil workers ...We get told to put the bin outside your house so when they are emptied why doesnt the council worker put it back there instead on the edge of the road on a narrow street half way down the road..the bag is too small too my mother has a newspaper every day and they dont hold a months supply

Reply Posted by Karen maw on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 15:09
Mine blew away in winds after 1st collection....need sonar more sturdy

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 15:57
Have got 4 bins and that's it for me, what doesn't go in them goes in the grey bin..!!

Reply Posted by Marie on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 16:20
We used to have strong blue plastic bags for the newspapers with Barnsley council logo on. Then the Council phased those out and now we get some silly thin blue recycling bags the free supermarkets bags type which fly away on windy days as soon as the council workers empty them.. and like someone said we put our bins correctly on our pavement when they are full but the workers just throw them about at the top end of the cul de sac turning point where I live and our bins end up in the road blocking the way. shoddy work.

Reply Posted by Julie Hodgson on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 16:42
We had them beforetand they blew away after collection.

Reply Posted by dave h on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 16:59
blue bins for paper white bag for wellingtons cheers

Reply Posted by Kpo on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:04
I still haven't recived anything off the council about this yet but didn't we get rid of these bags once before because THEY DONT WORK? I don't have mine yet but I won't be using it there was nothing wrong with the blue bin been used for paper, ours is full every two weeks as my partner bring lots of work home with him and I'm a student. Once it's been copied up the paper normally gets recycled. The green bin will probably remain empty now as well we don't have much of a garden to keep trimmed. I think this will reduce recycling not improve it.

Reply Posted by Sandra on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:15
The people who actually carry out recycling should get a reduction in their council tax. Not one of the people on benefits recycles round here, but then again they don't pay council tax either.

Reply Posted by Colin on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:20
Sadly another pigheaded worker... I am unemployed and recycle as much as possible.. You sould run for Parliament because your comments would fit in well with the arrogant tories.

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 18:51
The Tories are doing a fantastic job Colin.

Back on topic - another balls up by the Labour run BMBC. There was nothing wrong with the blue bin, why the change Roy you idiot?

Reply Posted by Tom on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:22
The blue bin system seemed to be working fine (when bins are collected). If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I've cut down on recycling recently, the council didn't empty my recycling bins for weeks and promised to come and collect them, they lied to me and I now bear a grudge. Why do they lie?
I estimate I put some £20 of metal in the recycling in per year, that will now be recycled at Christmas and I'll take the profit instead of the council. Everything else can go in the black bin.

The council should really be making sure people have the bins necessary for recycling and rubbish disposal, and collecting them as promised. There are people on my estate without black bins, and some of them seem to be incapable of getting a new one (although they have probably ordered new ones and been let down by the council), the rubbish ends up littering the street. I can't be bothered to report it to the council as I no longer trust them to do anything about it.

Reply Posted by T on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:47
What a crap idea! any sort of bad weather and we will either have a wet stinky bag or a garden full of someone elses litter (blown out of the bags)...I was always recycling and using the bins but not now! Im going to grey bin the paper and the bag can die a slow death in the shed....the plastic ones were a waste of time and so are these...I was under the impression the council had to cut back because of budgets so why not poll the public before wasting all this money ?

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:50
@Sandra that is the most stupidest comment I have ever seen on this site OMG! Are you serious? Just because some one is on benefits does not mean they don't recycle. I use to be on benefits before I qualified as a teaching assistant I recycled all the time. Even my kids recycle what a fool you ate if you think that and how do you know people on your street don't recycle do you go around checking there bins writing down who's and benefits and also don't recycle what business is it of your wether they recycle or not what a Muppet Ayyy dear me

Reply Posted by Lorraine Thurman on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 18:58
I deliver business leaflets and local community magazines. I can truly say there is more loads of rubbish piling high in people's gardens. I have seen more rats then any other years. The reason for the blue bins is because gardeners wanted their brown bins for garden rubbish alone, so we have all suffered.

Reply Posted by paula on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:00
I just think this time the council have got it seriously wrong. I'm waiting for a larger bin but I can't honestly see this being delivered. It seems that the new scheme is putting too many people off recycling altogether. It's time the bigwigs at the town hall admitted that they have got it wrong and do a U-turn immediately, if they really care about the environment they will. I am not going to hold my breath...

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:09
You're having a laugh aren't you Paula? These idiots at the Town Hall are always getting it wrong. They won't admit it.

The only way is to stop voting for these cretins and start a fresh. Get Houghton, Miller and the rest out!

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:10
It's green bin for garden rubbish and I got my larger bin delivered within a couple of days of asking for them both larger blue and brown

Reply Posted by hmm on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:11
Where are we supposed to keep these bags? They cant be stored outside as a large pile of paper in an unsealed and uncovered bag not only encourages rats by being the perfect bedding for them but is also surely a fire risk. And I don't know about anyone else but I cant store it inside either as I live in a small home which already suffers from a lack of storage space so i've got nowhere to keep a large bag full of paper so it looks like i'll stop recycling my paper and stick it in the grey bin whilst the blue bin sits largely empty.

Not that I had any choice in the matter anyway as I've never had a bag given to me. My neighbour has one but I assume that mine was one of the many that I saw on their way down the street on the day they were tossed into gardens, sorry I mean delivered lovingly, by the council

Reply Posted by Janet Butterfield on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:42
I wouldn't bring the bag back inside now it's been out in the street for dogs to urinate on. We have a long steep drive and it looks as if I'll have to carry a heavy bag of wet paper down it. I also put rubbish out for elderly neighbours - first icy day and I'll have a broken hip!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:35
I think the large majority of people who have read the post have failed to see the "true" meaning of any recycling scheme that BMBC runs via the different coloured bins.

They receive hefty revenues from the recycling of tin / aluminium cans etc, where do you think that revenue goes to?

Yup you guessed it, more half arsed council schemes which squander OUR money yet again, after all it is US that create the recycling revenue for the council to squander not the council itself.
I dare say that there are grants from central government or the EU for the council hitting its recycling targets too.

Back on topic, these bags are a complete and utter waste of time, effort and money.
Brown bin needs emptying once a fortnight
Green bin, I do not honestly think I have EVER filled it up whilst ever I have had it!

My neighbour puts her newspapers in water and forms them into bricks and burns them on her log burner which in my opinion is far better that leaving them in that silly bag to get wet.

I bet some desk bound bean counter thought "hey I know how we can cut costs even more"....

IDIOTS!

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 20:09
everything in 1 bin. balls to recycling what ever that's suppose to be. cos its not saving me no money. everything just keeps goin up. save this save that. haha my backside.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 20:25
Aww bananas you know that we're just doing there jobs for them but I'd rather recycle than not get my bin emptied

Reply Posted by Warrior on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 20:42
I have a allotment burn all my blue and green bin and most of brown bin In 45 gallon oil drum.

What I can not believe people pay £150000 plus for a home no garden and these ugly bins in front of there homes .

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 20:49
STEVO is 100% every scrap dealer in town would love your brown bin. I would love to collect every used paper from your homes. It's gold and profit.

If some one called Tom Dick or Harry started collecting your waste 1 hour before the council they would soon object and report you to the police.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:17
Forgot to mention, all my aluminium cans go to my next door neighbour and they go for the help for heroes charity.
She also recycles my paper for me and turns it into papier mache bricks (dried out natch) and burns em on her log burner.
The ashes also get recycled into the soil on the local community garden so its a win win for the steveo and neighbours household. ;)

Reply Posted by dave on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:18
100 pound a month council tax to get a waste paper bag,get black bin emptied 2 times a month to get other bins emptied fortnightly,to contribute to the police and fire brigade and to pay towards silly little buggers travelling for 30p on busses and 1 more thing I would like the bin men to put my bin outside my home when emptied not down the street!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:22
That's my point STEVO. if local or National charities agreed to collect your tins etc. the the council would take COURT action against these charities.

The people in the Know why local or national charities will not or dare do this is Local And National Councils donate thousands to these charities in funds to stop this from happening

Reply Posted by patricia on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 22:28
Not a good idea at all they blow away get wet and like all GOOD ideas from the council CRAP.

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 23:54
Just got mine, carnt believe it,
Anyway mines in the grey bin already, and that's ware my paper is going too,
They can recycle it themselves, I've had enough of this shite,

Reply Posted by Jayne on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 01:07
Have they also thought how Disabled People in Wheelchairs are going to manage with these bags.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 12:23
Just been out to put my waste paper in the silly bag and the papers were wet through.
The bag is full and there's still a week to go before its collected, I tried picking it up and it must weigh at least 10 kilos due to the wet paper.
I haven't even put the ton of magazines that the missus buys week in week out in it yet so would say that the overall weight will be around 20 kilos!

Hmm had another thought, so the council have replaced the wheeled bin with a silly bag, common sense and Health and Safety legislation seems to have not been thought about by the council bean counter as again common sense dictates it is easier to move a bin with wheels on (regardless of the weight) that to "pick up" a heavy static object such as a bag full of wet through paper.
Health and Safety legislation also tells us that it is easier to push an item than have to lift an item....

Bet there will be a plethora of compensation claims for bad back in the years to come because of the BMBC idiots!

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:18
The bags have long handles, would it be an idea to tell the bin men to hook them over a fence/gate, pensioners can't be running after them on a widow day half way down the street, common sense really x

Reply Posted by Donna on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:20
We have not had ours yet, or been informed by the council officially about these changes.
I only heard of them from off here.

It's a stupid idea. Why would I want garden waste rotting in my bin for a month?

The vermin will thrive no end, drawing them back into people's homes.

Last month I heard of more people getting infested than I ever have before. Infact I only ever heard of one person getting mice in my life, and these people are clean and house proud people, with nice gardens and homes, so god knows what it'll be like for those who aren't.

This is just going to end badly for the people of Barnsley. It will cost them more and more in extermination and for those who can't afford it, I dare not think how it'll affect their health.

But then again BMBC don't care about this as they don't have to pay the bill for it.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:24
waste of time had them before and blew away after been emptied. Even the small bottle bins blow away when empty so sorry barnsley council you got it wrong again...

Reply Posted by Nix on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:34
Have I missed something here , I haven't been made awear of a bag , does this mean that my blue bin will be taken and replaced with a bag?

Reply Posted by just me on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:47
Most people on here need to chill out, realise the facts and put this into perspective. The Council has to save millions of pounds due to austerity cuts. Around £40m has already been cut and a futher £25m needs to be saved by the end of next year. By simply changing the collection service slightly saves the council a lot of money. The income received from Recycling offsets further cuts, saves jobs and prevents us paying more council tax. The Tories are giving them no option, they HAVE to save this money. We've seen libraries close, services slashed, hundreds and hundreds of jobs lost. By collecting the paper seperately and cardboard seperately generates a small income, which all helps go towards the savings. Instead of moaning that we have to now put paper into a bag instead of the bin, think of it that by doing this we are saving peoples jobs, and saving our council tax from going up. Instead of moaning at the labour members, who have very little or no choice in how the council operates, have a moan at Cameron and Osbourne who are taking 25% of the councils budget of them every year. The council arent doing this to piss people off and they are not thick. They have no choice!! it all boils down to money and lack of it!!

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:50
Tell me, why are the Tories having to 'take' 25% of the councils budget Just me?

They should get rid of Houghton and Miller that would save a bob or two, they do naff all anyway.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 17:35
The Tories have historically cut Labour council budgets year on year whilst ever they have been in power.

This latest round of cuts are cuts to public spending expenditure under the "Austerity measures" guise...

How ever, one should not listen to the right wind media Tory cohort propagandists as the Tories have borrowed MORE money in THREE years than Labour did in THIRTEEN YEARS.

So there you have it, we are only having to endure these "austerity cuts" because the Tories have borrowed FAR MORE than Labour ever did.

Smoke and mirrors at its finest, the Tories are the modern day equivalent of the NSDAP (Nazi party).

Reply Posted by mo on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:16
We havent heard anything about new scheme what are they changing it to now

Reply Posted by Chin on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:20
The only use for this paper bag is to stuff the useless councilor miller in

Reply Posted by Marley on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:22
I know what!! Make the bin men post it back through our letterboxes that will save huge problems of us all chasing stupid blooming bags half way down the street!. No?
They'll throw the bag on the ground, the bag will blow away, then we all put our paper in the grey bin to save all the hassle.
So what's the point of changing it. We're all gonna start putting it in the grey bin anyway.
Bags.. Absurd idea!

Reply Posted by Dawn on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:31
My bin men are great, NOT! have to walk to the bottom of my cul de sac to retrive my bin. That's after I have walked over broken glass and other rubbish what they have dropped emptying the bins. I doubt I will get the bag back if I put it out.

Great idea bmbc. Idiots!

Reply Posted by Babyboomer on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 18:18
Just a minute.......‘Just Me’......Please don’t tell me to ‘chill out’

We were asked if we thought the recycling bags were a good idea.
We have taken the time to give our opinion. We have the right to that opinion.
The general consensus seems to be that we want to KEEP THE BLUE BINS. BMBC need to be careful here, I really want to recycle but if they take away the blue bin I’m going to put paper in the ‘too hard to do tray’.......the grey bin ......or anywhere that won’t benefit council coffers.
So while you’re busy being so .......cool...... would you mind telling your Councillor mates to start listening to their constituents for a change.

Reply Posted by lee on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 18:20
this bag is a great IDEA not when they collect the recycling its emptied into the same wagon goes to the same recycle station emptied onto the floor in one heap
so wat is the point of separating the recycling at home when its all thrown together at the recycle station
can anyone explain why this is done I certainly cannot

Reply Posted by Mike on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 19:06
What a stupid idea this is - i think i will be buying an incinerator for paper now as not using the bag for health and safety reasons. The bins are never put back where they got them from and and either rammed up between cars or on in road causing an obstruction (which we can get reported for) - They also changing the other bins to be on a monthly empty which again is stupid, especially with the number of rats roaming about these days

Reply Posted by just me on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:06
Baby boomer you are still keeping the blue bin! They are just asking you to put cardboard in it and put the paper in a blue bag. It really is that simple. Yes there is a discussion to be had as to wetheir the blue bag is practical, but my point is the council have no choice but to make tuese dicesions to save money. I for one would rather have a bag then another bin. I have very little if any paper anyway as most of my reading and other paper based products is now done online

Reply Posted by mememe on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:12
Just me @ a white hessian sack. Used to be a blue bag and the council did away with them for the blue bin. Fact councillors ARE THICK !!!!

Why pay a consultant £££££££ and then reduce the council staff ?

Why overspend and overrun on New bypass near Wickes without purchase of the land first?

NOW HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND.

Reply Posted by Babyboomer on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:30
Just Me, if you’re going to be patronising and pedantic about it, see my post 14.49

Sorry previous post should have read KEEP THE BLUE BIN FOR PAPER!
If I can’t use the Blue bin for paper recycling, I won’t recycle.....it really is that simple

Reply Posted by Misty on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:37
With the rain we get I don't think this is a good idea & anyway what about the blue paper bins!

Reply Posted by MadameJoJo on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:41
Barnsley's recycling system is rubbish in itself. We received notification of the changes, along with an invitation to surrender bins that are no longer needed and/or to request larger bins for glass , etc. Despite two emails to request exchanging bins we haven't even received an acknowledgment and it's well over a month now. How on earth are people supposed to hold onto their glass and plastic bottles for a whole month in a bin that is more like a pencil case? The bag for the paper does have a weight in the bottom, but it is insufficient and these are going to be strewn all over the street, should anyone bother to use them. I think it is disgraceful that recycling is collected so infrequently now. We have all worked hard to alter our behaviour and get into the habit of separating our waste, but the latest set up needs urgent attention. Bring back the alternate-week collections that worked ok. As a busy working couple, we now have to incorporate a couple of weekly trips to local dump- it site, just to keep on top of our household waste and recycling. I can't begin to imagine how people cope if they don't do this. This is just another cost cutting exercise that is doing nothing but turning our environment into one huge tip. Whatever happened to the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign.

Reply Posted by just me on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:30
If councillors are thick then either dont vote them in or run for it yourself! The cousultant was brought in on an interim basis to replace the old AD on a lesser wage. He came in for a few months to save the millions which is exactly what he did then he left! Ok fine if people don't wanna do something as simple as put paper in a bag rather than a bin then do it. But recycling is one of the only things residents can do that directoy aeffect costs and savings towards the councilq if people refuse to recycle because of stubborn simple mindedness then do it but the council have to make these savings! If they don't get it through this project then I guarantee you will see it elsewhere. Bins will be collected less frequently, dumpit sites will close, dog bins won't get emptied, pot holes wont get filled, grass will remain uncut and street lights will remain broken because there will be no staff left to do it because they wI'll have to make the savings elsewhere!!

Reply Posted by mememememme on Thursday January 16 2014 at 13:15
JUST ME? sadly it is only you who agrees..POT HOLES WONT GET FILLED.. nothing changes there then. And were did the consultant save money? And what about the overspend near wickes? You forgot to answer that one.. Get a grip and tell your councillor Mates what about the nitcomb and how much was this? and the townhall clock which failed to work? enough for you for now..looking forward to your reSponse JUST ME@

Reply Posted by Christine Gillott on Thursday January 16 2014 at 13:05
Just got my bag and info on the new system! The leaflet is difficult to understand as it is,with all the different dates, but the white bag is total s***e. How are people going to move it after 4 weeks,especially if it has been outside and got wet. I have phoned the council about this already and they generously offered me another, as I was also worried that it would not be big enough, and said I had to contact my councillor if I was not happy! Plus,as said in previous posts, what is going to happen when the bags are emptied on a windy day- who thinks these non-starter ideas up!

Reply Posted by AHR on Thursday January 16 2014 at 20:43
Wonder who produces these bags, and who their councillor friend is ?

Reply Posted by concerned on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:13
Mmmmmmmm

Reply Posted by Megan. on Saturday January 18 2014 at 13:49
Well, this is the first I've even heard of this!

Reply Posted by kieran on Sunday January 19 2014 at 20:21
I don't have garden waste so wot happens to my green bin? Why change something when its obviously been working according to council figures just seems like a waste of tax payers money. Another great way to chuck money on a dump site.

Reply Posted by clare on Sunday January 19 2014 at 20:26
Yay! More litter to accumulate in my garden!
Think it's a ridiculous scheme. I already recycle everything I can and what we already have in place is WORKING.

Reply Posted by John Teary on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:30
Eco Friendly, very surprised when the tags arrived..
Spot UV Business Cards from Canada also promote their Recycled Business cards also tends to be in such a category for healthy environment...

Reply Posted by Elsie on Monday January 20 2014 at 16:30
WHY WHY WHY EVERYTHING WAS FINE NEARLY EVERYONE IS RECYCLING NOW YOU CHANGE IT MUST BE SOMEONE SAT BEHIND A DESK TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO OR GOT A GREAT LOAD OF HESSIAN TO GET RID OF ........

Reply Posted by Laura on Monday January 20 2014 at 23:32
This is the first I've heard of it but we used to have a similar bag when I lived in Rotherham. It was a nightmare on wet, windy days, paper all over the street. A lot of homes don't have a gate or something similar to attach the bag to when it's empty so it gets left on the front garden and good luck with finding it if you're out at collection time. Stupid idea lets just stick with the blue bins bmbc please

Reply Posted by Marie Jones on Saturday February 1 2014 at 08:15
In Rotherham they have a STRONG blue bag with strong handles, like a strong shopping bag, so already better than that cloth white bag with rubbish handles. I agree tough that they are left with just a box for tins and bottles..... I do my best to help my daughter out and she brings her plastic bottles and cans and I put them in my brown bin..... she shouldn't have to do that.. so Rotherham Council has flaws but we had a PERFECT system here before and they have ruined it.... shame on Barnsley Council.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:40
Yet another debate started by WAB but going nowhere. You NEVER challenge the Councillors with issues raised by the people of Barnsley & NEVER say anything against what the Council does.
You are so much toeing the line at both WAB & the Barnsley Chronicle that it is clear you are hand in hand with the council.
Prove us wrong and get Councillor Miller back in to answer the comments and complaints made by the people on here.
Just to let you know, I live in Staincross and still haven't received a leaflet, bag or blue bin and I was advised that we are already switched onto the new system and that they would send them out to me..... that was over a week ago.

Reply Posted by chris on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:56
According to the Council website all comments from WAB have been noted and passed on to their Waste Services department for their consideration.

I wonder which bin they’ll end up in!

Reply Posted by WASTE on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:03
chris - Newsflash from BARNSLEY COUNCIL . Sorry we made another cock up.

Reply Posted by Ricky on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:45
Very disappointed in this change by BMBC. We are a two person household and regularly fill the cardboard bin in between collections and now this is extending to every four weeks? This will only result in cardboard going in to the grey bin.

The idea of using a bag to leave out recycle paper begs the obvious where do the bin men leave the bag once it's empty? And we now have to find somewhere to store this between collections as it's not suitable to be left outside for a month.

It seems a short sighted decision to me where the people who are actively recycling thus making use of all their bins are the ones that will suffer. Ultimately this will reduce the waste these people recycle as overspill will go in to the grey bins.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:12
I have seen the bags around literally however as we have no bin collection ever I am unable to comment. We have a grey bin which is now unused and have never had recycle bins, so it's often to the dump site we go, and we have the best fed birds around. It's the bin men I feel for, surely when full these bags are heavy even more so when wet, what about health n safety of those having t shift thousands of these bags weekly.....

Reply Posted by nbprojekt on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:40
This new scheme is rubbish. In my house there is 2 of us we hardly have any paper to recycle so didn't feel the need for a blue bin. However our green bin is usually full every 2 weeks with cardboard. How on earth would our cardboard waste fit in a blue bin an only get emptied 1 time in 4? The green bin would become nearly redundant. The council have not thought about this an communicated with residents about what would suite them.

Reply Posted by AL on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:59
I will not be recycling any paper it will go in my burning bin as this the bags are a waste of effort.

Reply Posted by Karen on Friday January 24 2014 at 01:11
The bag is a bad idea. If blows over and the paper falls out. Made even worse by the council not collecting it and the blue bin today when they were supposed to so they are left out for another night! When I lived in Nottingham we had one bin for dry recycling not two and a bag. Everything but garden waste went in the one bin. Why can't Barnsley council do something uncomplicated?

Reply Posted by Helen Williams on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:58
I know people, particularly elderly folks, who have really tried to understand all this and abide by the rules. Often they have three different coloured bins already as well as various recycling boxes. But the white bag is the final straw. One person in her 70s told me she has now given up in despair and is emptying all her rubbish - paper, glass, tins, the lot - into her grey bin.

Reply Posted by Too much rubbish on Saturday January 25 2014 at 11:33
I currently have 12 black bags in my back garden, as I can't fit my rubbish in my bin. I don't make this rubbish, it doesn't breed, it's what comes around food and produce we buy. I don't drive, so will have to either pay someone to take these bags to the tip, or get a skip. Either way I'm paying twice to have my rubbish collected. Surely to goodness BMBC can see that not everyone produces the same amount of rubbish and should be catered for accordingly. I have a family of 6 and called up to try and get an additional bin and was spoken to in the most patronising way and asked to produce all kinds of things. I only want an additional bin for goodness sakes, why was I made to feel like I'm a criminal?

The collection of rubbish does not work for everyone and that needs addressing - I really object to being forced to pay for additional rubbish removal costs, it's ridiculous! Barnsley council is not serving myself, or my family very well at the moment and that's the thing - They are there to seve us and provide services for us. They have to listen to what we (the payer of said services) think. WAB, you should sit down with them and present them with these facts and ask them how they respond. Obviously not everyone has given their view in here, but the overwhelming majority are stating the same thing - The current system does NOT work. It will be interesting to see the council enter a dialogue and invite our contribution to this matter.

Reply Posted by Too Much Rubbish on Saturday January 25 2014 at 11:36
Just another thought - how are we to fit all the Christmas wrapping paper into those little white bags? Surely this will result in less being recycled, not more.

Reply Posted by hari on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:29
the comment on 14 jan, was accurate. a bag - probably a month full, came in at 30kg, could be a bit more at our house. anyway, the other day I was out walking the dog - noticed the 1 time a month collection for papers; also I noticed the young operative struggling to move said white sack - yes you know who you are- HE COULD NOT LIFT IT! - so sensibly he had to drag it across the road - BUT - he still had to lift it into the bin. am I in cuckoo land here, or do I see tons o claims for back injury here. has bmbc totally lost sight of health and safety reg.

Reply Posted by glass back on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:32
Jesus! I've not got mine yet! How bigs this bag then?

Reply Posted by Vicki on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 13:37
I put my brown and and green bins out on Saturday, both equally full with carboard, glass and cans etc after last being collected a fortnight since. I had no garden waste at all in my green bin. The new system will leave my green bin redundant and my blue bin bursting to the seams with cardboard. The binmen on my street do not empty the bin if the lid is slightly open, so any excess cardboard will now have to go in my grey bin, taking the emphasis away from recycling. Another thing to note is that, in the Saturday midday dounpour of rain which occured just minutes after my bins were emptied, both bins were blown over in the wind and into my car. So if two solid plastic bins can blow over in a moderate wind, where would my bag have ended up? Safe to say, said white bag is now in the bin. My paper waste will now go in the grey bin. Poor move BMBC.

Reply Posted by Sue on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 15:52
From now on my paper will be going into the grey bin. There is nowhere to store the hessian bag, its forever blowing away and everything gets soaking wet. I'm all for recylcing, but not in this case.

Reply Posted by panni on Thursday January 30 2014 at 12:12
first.. why is this starting just a few werks.before you.can start puttin garden waste in the green bins( using the system we have now), surely it would been a.better.transition to do it at the start of the winter recycle cycle..secondly...how are families supposed to manage to cutdown further on the recycling to make the collection time stretch,( plz tell me bmbc if.theres any other new type of recycling,just-invented) that can allow us to miraculousl
y perform this...thirdly how on earth are the elderly and disabled supposed to drag things around and fourthly, WHERES MY COUNCIL TAX REFUND on the money youve saved, on a serivce you.already make money out of us !!!!!!! p.s bmbcDONT come asking for more money next yr for more strret.cleaning and fly-tipping services when you.will have caused the problem youselves!!!!!rant over lol

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 30 2014 at 12:18
Grow some spuds in it it will last for years.

Reply Posted by J on Friday January 31 2014 at 16:06
This bag idea is stupid I live in Millhouse green I don't think I'll have bag if put out on a windy day

Reply Posted by me on Friday January 31 2014 at 16:08
I think they are a brill idea. they hold all my shopping from aldi. cheers councillors.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 16:56
Ours has gone in the bin

Reply Posted by john on Friday January 31 2014 at 18:04
us disabled people should not get one of them bag its a wast of time and money there no wrong with the bins plus any newspaper i get i burn it at my work boss work

Reply Posted by A on Friday January 31 2014 at 18:06
The bags are a problem I am disabled and others are worse off than me I was sent two bags to spread the weight great but I only have two hands so I cant use my sticks when walking were is the common sense yes I know recycle is important and it helps towards council tax but it needs to be practical and bags are not sorry

Reply Posted by recurveangel on Friday January 31 2014 at 19:58
its bad enough that bins block the pavement now those with an sensory impairment have to deal with blus bags and contents all over has

Reply Posted by busky on Saturday February 1 2014 at 09:31
Barnsley people
Moan moan moan
Always somebodies job to do something for them
If the council did not exist god knows who or what they would moan about

Reply Posted by helen on Saturday February 1 2014 at 09:49
We would save on council tax..

Reply Posted by tony on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 21:52
if they stopped putting these damn takeaway leaflets through the door we wouldn't need the bags or bins.

Reply Posted by angrybird on Monday February 17 2014 at 15:22
can somebody tell me what time to phone waste management to speak to an actual person rather than the gormless female voice on the answer machine?
I want to request a blue bin & a brown bin which i was never given so that i can recycle, but i want to speak to someone in person because i've been on the site, filled all required fields in and then it tells me that while the bins are free, i have to pay £15 for delivery and i flatly refuse to do that.
My question to the waste management team is why should i pay for delivery. I don't live £15's worth of fuel away from the place and i want to know if when these bins were first introduced, how many households had to pay for the delivery in the first place???...NONE i bet!!.
If barnsley council insist that i have to pay the delivery charge so that i can recycle for Them then i should NOT have to pay £15 for them to bring them to my house.
Scam scam SCAM.....BMBC will have our money by hook or by crook but they aint getting mine. No payment, no bins so i'll NOT be recycling. Its down right disgusting!!

Reply Posted by TheWalrus on Thursday February 27 2014 at 08:55
The move will show recycling rates plummet. What moron came up with the "idea" of reducing the receptacle size and then collecting them half as regularly? Why, BMBC Waste "Management" of course! I now can't recycle as much any more thanks to this change.

Reply Posted by Mike on Saturday March 8 2014 at 17:06
Well with the switch-over to new collection date and no bins collected - wonder if they turn up for next weeks collection - bet wouldn't be happy if i missed paying my council tax....

Reply Posted by ButtersStotch on Saturday March 22 2014 at 12:28
Collection number one, and ours has been stolen. The bin men put them into the top of the accompanying bin of all the neighbours, and it would seem ours was left to the mercy of the wind on Friday morning. I already had been out to secure both bin and bag twice on Thursday night as the wind had been blowing the contents everywhere. Great job Barnsley Council!

Reply Posted by Marlowe on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 11:10
I realise that Councils are not staffed by the brightest and best, but even by their standards the refuse collection policy is absurd.
I now have 5 separate bins that are collected on 3 different collection cycles. These cycles vary from biweekly to monthly. This leaves me with a driveway full of bins, no idea of what is being collected when and recycling bins overflowing.
Congratulation to the mega brains of Barnsley council. Another triumph.

Reply Posted by sht on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 16:43
im determind to get this f**K paper bags band im fed up ov chaseing it down street ive had 5 alreadyy what is the point BARNSLEY COUNCILL all i doo is put every thing in middle ov garden and fire it

Reply Posted by MH on Friday April 25 2014 at 10:19
I'm sick of this Council.

We were told yesterday that our Paper bags would be collected and its supposed to make things easier.. What a pile of.

Later I'm told if it's not later today it would be tomorrow 24th april

Well it's not tomorrow 25th April and still bags in the streets from here in wombwell up to Barnsley Tesco.

I suggest each person that reads this Informs Look north at look.

north@bbc.co.uk

Or txt them on

07786 202 666.

If look north get enough complaints about this they will have no choice but to look in to it, and hopefully shame this awful council into action.

Reply Posted by Judy on Friday April 25 2014 at 11:44
My green bin was not collected this morning as I had put veg peelings in with garden waste. Phoned to find out what to do next and was told to take peelings out and put them in grey bin. As if! Both garden waste and peelings are used to make compost so I really can't see a problem. Perhaps some one can explain the council's reasoning behind this ruling to me.

Reply Posted by Andy Hackett on Wednesday August 19 2015 at 15:39
I think they are a good idea and hold alot of storage space . The only issue i have is when they are emptied on my estate the bin men just throw them down and do not always put then in a bin or on the fence and then these are blown away. I have lost the origianal one and aquired another that had blown away on a later date. Now i have not got one which im not able to store the papers in