Councillors Keen To Push £10m Transformation Through

Thursday January 9 2014

Sainsbury's Sainsbury's

COUNCILLORS say they're keen to get plans for a new shopping centre pushed through.

The proposals for the former Foulstone school site in Darfield have received very few objections and local people want to see the £10m transformation to take place as soon as possible.

Councillors say local people have been raising the issue with them at advice surgeries and want to see work on the development, which will include a Lidl and a Sainsbury's, start.

Cllr Pauline Markham said: "Myself and Brian Key are on the planning committee so we want it through planning and sorted.

"It's the biggest thing to have happened to Darfield in many years.

"We're really excited because it's a big project and we have been looking at it since the new school (Netherwood) was signed off."

The development would see a mix of two and three-bedroom houses built nearby and the centre itself would create around 80 jobs.

Smaller shops will also be located on the site, should it go through the planning board.

At pre-Christmas discussions with local residents, Leeds-based developers Rothstone Estates faced little objections to their plans.

Cllr Brian Key described the feedback at the time as being '99 per cent positive'.

Cllr Markham, who also works at Morrisons, says that people within Darfield have been crying out for this sort of development.

She added: "People keep coming up to me saying that it's brilliant that Darfield is going to have this and want to know when it's starting.

"Things are looking bright for Darfield at the moment."

Reply Posted by Jim on Thursday January 9 2014 at 12:41
Anything that employs people with a living wage would be most welcome in the area.
Please Note that I said a 'living wage' and not 'minimum wage'!!

Reply Posted by mrx on Thursday January 9 2014 at 12:42
does this mean it not going to stairfoot b&q now or will there be 2

Reply Posted by zanila on Thursday January 9 2014 at 18:29
Darfield. SAINSBURYS ?? Why they are all dole dossers who only drink beer smoke crack and rob why would they need a sainsburys Aldi yes lidl yes Sainsburys will only get robbed.

Reply Posted by annette on Saturday January 11 2014 at 12:42
Zanila, i have lived in darfield most of my life, have worked since the week after i left school 35 years ago, i work 60+ hours a week and have not had so much as a speeding fine do not drink beer or smoke, my parents taught me that if you have not got anything nice to say, then say nothing, shame you was not brought up to the same high standards as i was!

Reply Posted by Kenneth on Thursday January 9 2014 at 19:34
Zamia you obviously have the brain the size of a small nut. Maybe you could apply to collect the trollies? You clown

Reply Posted by Rob on Saturday January 11 2014 at 14:49
Ken cheers for that comment about darfield I work 12 hour days and nights I own my own house I have a car and 2 motorcycles .I keep my garden clean so in your eyes I'm a scrubber eh

Reply Posted by sandra on Saturday January 11 2014 at 14:59
well said annette and kenneth and ken whats the saying it takes one to know one i bet you dont even live at darfield

Reply Posted by Lived all my life in Darfield on Saturday January 11 2014 at 15:28
Tut, tut. Layabouts live everywhere. Don't tar all Darfield people with the same brush.

Reply Posted by Rob on Saturday January 11 2014 at 17:56
Reg. I have a good job and well paid I used to live in staincross years ago and that has it's problems like darfield.I have made my house my home and I'm staying put.At least there isn't many ethnics round here btw where do you live?

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday January 11 2014 at 18:00
Reg,s jealous of you Rob.

Reply Posted by Jase on Saturday January 11 2014 at 18:06
It an be nice if a large company would create real jobs not a 15 hour or less but want you to work more hours when it suits them

Reply Posted by sam on Saturday January 11 2014 at 18:21
I have only been to darfield once, never again it's horrible. Full of smack rats, deadbeats and love rats.

Sainsburys would be better going somewhere else in barnsley.

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:13
darfield born and bred. PROUD. its all outsiders that spoilt this village. all darfielders no 1 another, and there isn't many bad ens.

Reply Posted by Dazza on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:15
Oh hells bells

Reply Posted by Jayne Kitching on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 11:39
It about time we have nothing we have to go to Barnsley yipee

Reply Posted by Jayne Kitching on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 11:42
Not all people who live darfield are layabouts I am very offended by that remark

Reply Posted by Dw on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:03
I hear Darfield is having its own version of the Channel 4 programme Benefits Street. The programme is called Benefits Village.