Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event


'Lifesaver' Schoolgirl Praised For Leading Family To Safety

Friday January 10 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

AN 11-year-old girl has been hailed a 'lifesaver' by her family after she led them all to safety when a fire broke out in their Oakwell home.

Ellie Taylor helped get her parents, brother and younger sister safely out of their Coniston Road terraced home after hearing the smoke alarm go off in the middle of the night.

The brave youngster also helped ensure the blaze was contained as she had closed all the downstairs doors the night before.

The fire, which happened on December 20, is believed to have started when the family's fridge freezer caught fire due to an electrical fault.

Ellie woke her parents Gail and David, brother Brad, also 11, and sister Gracie, four.

Mum Gail believes Ellie's quick-thinking actions saved their lives and said her daughter was 'absolutely brilliant'.

Ellie went in to her parents' bedroom at about 2.45am and said she could hear the smoke alarm.

Gail said: "I got up and the house was full of smoke. We went outside in our pyjamas and I dialled 999 on my mobile phone.

"I can't tell you how proud I am of her. She was absolutely brilliant, she kept really calm and if it hadn't been for her we might not have made it out alive."

Gail said the fire service also praised Ellie for routinely making sure the downstairs doors are closed at night because it had contained the fire and slowed the spread of smoke.

"One of the firemen said the fact the downstairs doors were closed, particularly the ones leading in to the utility room, saved us by slowing the spread of smoke and allowed us to escape," Gail added.

"That's down to Ellie, she goes around and closes all the doors and makes sure everything is switched off at night."

The fire has gutted the family home and they have spent New Year in a hotel while they look for rented accommodation.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
15 Showing 15 comments

Reply Posted by jan on Friday January 10 2014 at 10:55
well done Ellie xx

Reply Posted by Lisa on Friday January 10 2014 at 10:59
What a brave little girl, well done your family must be so proud of you x

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 11:07
Well done for Ellies quick thinking

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 12:04
Such a brave little girl well done sweetheart you saved your family you should be sooo proud of yourself xx

Reply Posted by pensioner on Friday January 10 2014 at 12:39
Isn't it nice to read about a youngster doing something good for a change

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 13:25
It is in deed. Not all youngsters are Upto no good this little girl is a credit to herself and her family.

Reply Posted by lynn on Friday January 10 2014 at 23:03
Well done on you Ellie you are a life saver

Reply Posted by Becki on Friday January 10 2014 at 23:17
She is very clever and is a star!!! One brave girl!!! Xxxxx

Reply Posted by Rachael on Monday January 13 2014 at 15:21
Well done Ellie, I bet youre so proud of her Gail. Xx

Reply Posted by Gail on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:50
I am xxxxxx Thank you xxxx

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:53
Ellie well done little girl you did a brave thing and your friends and family will be so proud for what you did.

Reply Posted by Guilty as Sin on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:28
On a lighter note if Ellie see's smoke or flames coming out Oakwell please report to Danny Wilson.

Well done Ellie.

Reply Posted by Old tyke on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:30
No flames or fire from Barnsley Fc on the pitch just old wood smouldering.

Brave little girl well done.

Reply Posted by Karen on Monday January 13 2014 at 22:54
Well done elle your one brave young lady u should be proud of yourself

Reply Posted by Stephen Thickett on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 23:40
Nice one, a nice reward is due I'd say.

ipso Regulated