Barnsley MP Appalled At Increase In Local Winter Deaths

Friday January 10 2014

Michael Dugher MP Michael Dugher MP

A BARNSLEY MP is appalled after official figures showed a 25 per cent increase in local winter deaths.

Michael Dugher, the MP for Barnsley East, has hit out at the government after the figures were released by the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

They revealed that there's been a 25 per cent increase in the number of excess winter deaths recorded in the region compared to the previous year.

The latest ONS stats for Yorkshire and The Humber show that 3,000 people died unnecessarily last winter.

Nationally, the number of people who died needlessly in freezing weather soared to more than 31,000 last winter.

The vast majority of deaths were among those aged 75 and over.

Mr Dugher said: "It's appalling that so many people are dying unnecessarily in Barnsley and in Britain.

"We're set for another cold winter, energy bills continue to go up and up and A&Es are struggling to cope.

"Many of these unnecessary deaths are caused by people living in homes that are far too cold because they can’t afford to put the heating on.

"Despite this, the government still refuses to stand up to the big energy companies."

Reply Posted by Richard on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:51
News flash: Very old people dying!!

They are mostly over 75......where is the surprise here? Would the same people all live to 100 if they had their heating on a bit more? No of course not.

It's just a Labour MP spouting off because he has nothing better to report.

Reply Posted by tool on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:14
Richard read the article you tool, Nationally, "the number of people who died needlessly in freezing weather soared to more than 31,000 last winter." As in could have been prevented. I don't think you can prevent age but maybe you know something we all don't smart@rse.

Dugher is spouting off because he's not had any column inches in the last couple of weeks so blanket statement gets him peoples minds again. He will be nice and warm mind he claims his leccy on expenses from the taxpayer.

Reply Posted by Marley on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 20:51
Disgusting!! Just because they're over 75 doesn't mean it doesn't matter!!! They deserve to have heating as much as anyone else!.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:00
Correct Richard.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:02
Yes Mr Dugher and the other Barnsley MPs "still refuses to answer the question" Will you be accepting the MPs recomended pay rise of 11%.

And when your Labour Councillors chums have voted to take away the old peoples subsidy on Council Tax. They will have even less money to keep there Barnsley Homes warm this winter.

hypocrite.

Reply Posted by craig on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:13
Or tory mp's not regulating the power companies because they privatised them in the first place and have their fingers in the pie!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:56
I dont agree at all it's ok for the mps as they get all their bills paid for and even if they didn't with the money they get they'd be ok but people who on metres like my gran she's 88 20quid use to last her all week now it doesn't all her grandkids not just me take her gas card to put extra on just to make sure she's got plenty on her gas shes literally a little old lady she's not goin to be happy now av said that but my point is it's all over Britain we need to help the older generation they fought for our country we should fight for them to make sure they spend the rest of there days in warmth and not to worry bout not havin enough heatin etc.......

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:09
Legalise euthanasia in Summer? Problem solved.

Reply Posted by @tool on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:13
@tool perhaps you're being a little ignorant to the fact that population has risen to contribute to these statistics.

75 is pretty old when looking at mortality rates in this country. Poor diet and lifestyle in the north dictates a shorter life expectancy. The Labour MP is clambering for something to say and hasn't any new pants to sniff, so he is bringing back out some old news. #desperatefool

Reply Posted by craig on Friday January 10 2014 at 19:04
If it's not a problem then why do governments give the elderly winter fuel payments? Next cut to fund another cut for the top band of income tax

Reply Posted by Tool on Friday January 10 2014 at 20:40
@tool and what is the article reporting on again? Old people dieting needlessly as a direct consequence of cold weather. Next you'll be telling me that people aren't having to choose between heating and eating. Poor diet is reflected by income but then again we couldn't have miners getting a decent break could we? Although we can afford to bail out banks and bankrupt the country and pass the debt on to the few generations to pay when it suits can't

Reply Posted by Tool on Saturday January 11 2014 at 08:20
Ha dieting- my favourite auto correct

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 13 2014 at 20:02
my mam is 88 and im trying so hard to win the lotto, then she can put the heating on.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 21:28
@Bananas your name says it all about you as a person

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 13 2014 at 22:06
thanks lauren. but times are hard.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 22:25
Oh I actually thought you was joking my apologies that's why I said that bout your name feel horrid now

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 13 2014 at 22:32
lauren , lauren, lauren you never fail.

Straighten your self out or you will finish up like bananas if not.

Only Kidding Darling

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 09:17
A thought he was been sarcastic

Reply Posted by Jock strap on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 09:29
Lauren as a fruit what would you think you are more like?

Banana - yellow with thick skin and quite firm inside

Peach - quite fluffy with a firm bum and soft heart inside

Apple - very hard skinned and friendly with any colour

Orange - Tough on the outside but very weepy and kind inside

Grape - Small and petite with a soft center

Strawberry - Soft all over and caring and very cuddly

Kiwi fruit - rough on the outside and nutty inside

Pear - Firm and knows what you wand in life

just for fun

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 10:07
Odd post Mr. Del Monte.
Haha.
Your nuts

Reply Posted by LOL on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 10:11
JUST TRYING TO FETCH A BIT OF HUMOUR TO THE SITE HAHAHAH

Reply Posted by HELLO SID on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 10:16
THIS IS THE NICE LOL AND NOT THE VILE IMPOSTER WITH THE RUDE LANGUAGE.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 11:05
Good.
Mmmm. Then follows our Mr.Khan LOL.

Reply Posted by above on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 09:34
Sorry it sould have read - want not wand and also keep strong Lauren and you will go far in life..

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 10:25
Hello fellow WABers and also good friends Sid , Lauren , kfc. Special offers for this week Bag of Fruit £2 and get a free lollipop..Bloody good bargain.. Still got some bloody kestrel left 4 cans £2.99 STILL FLYING OF THE SHELF. Fairly bloody quiet in shop due to xmas. My beautiful wife got me a nose hair trimmer for xmas still bloody stuck up my nose cant get it out. more underwear .why bloody hell I may ask I still wearing the same ones from bloody last xmas.. must dash WABers somebody looking through my bloody window OH why the bloody door open.. silly sod its the bloody window cleaner.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 10:28
By the way please keep warm this winter I got water bottles and duvets on special offer. mr khan here serving Barnsley for over 40yrs,

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 11:07
Harrr, welcome back Mr.Khan. I thought you,d left us.
Still crazy!
Keep the kestrel safe!

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 11:27
@Jock strap I'm a peach firm bum soft heart grape because I'm petite and a bit of a pear because I know what I want in life for me my kids and partner bit of a fruit cocktail to be honest lol

Reply Posted by jock strap on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 11:32
You'll do for me Lauren. Couldn't put it better myself..LOL Good luck

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:38
Haha cheers @Jock Strap

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:09
Mr Khan Welcome back serving Barnsley since we won the last Revolution. I hope you have left your business in good family hands.

A lot has happened since your last post. Local lager Kestrel is available at £2 per six cans. This is supplied from Bulgarian and Polish internet customers only.

This does however does not the personal service you offer as take now pay next Giro Day.

Should you yourself require any further advice don't forget to contact your friends Sid Lauren,Myself and any local or National Immigration Office.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:24
Harder, kfc, let's just cut to the chase!
We,ll all congregate in the Anderson,with Mr.Khan and his kestrel.
We can put the world to rights. Thinking of some of the posters we could make a good go of it.
Kfc ...chicken.. Head of agriculture.
LOL...mayor..as bonkers as Boris.
STEVEO.. Chancellor.
Sid... DWPensions.
Mr.Khan..immigration
Lauren..Media spokesperson.

Richard...the opposition.

Sorted.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:28
Oh well and bloody good kfc- Still new to internet game..Me and Family wanted to go to SKEGVEGAS for day Fantasy Island.Googled Fanstasy island and never seen so many rude picture..My bloody eyes were watering.. Off in car and couldn't wait to get there. I never saw any of them girls there. i must have gone to wrong bloody place,,.You get free bloody lollipop choice of 5 flavours with ever purchase in my corner shop. No don't get that at Asda bum bum . Also doing a roaring trade with these new white sacks we keep finding in the bloody street due to the bloody wind and the lazy binmen 50P strongest shopping bag I have ever seen.. Fit 24 kestrel and all your bloody lambrini for your dear wife.must dash kfc wind getting up and going to collect some more bags..mr khan serving Barnsley for over 40 years.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:30
Having taken legal advice regarding SID's recent post I have been advised by my Solicitor to make no comment .

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:36
Haharrrrr @kfc, there's a bit of politician in you already!
And that's without the Kestrel!

Reply Posted by Rog on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:14
Is the hypocrite that leads Barnsley council, going to give his knighthood back?...The establishment that gave him his knighthood, were the people that he use to rally against, some will so easily sell their principles!!!!

Reply Posted by Collet on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 21:40
Dugher just likes to spout about whatever he thinks we don't knowanything about,he has also jumped the gun,it hasn't been all that cold yet,and no dought some of us old cogers will have to do our best like every body else to keep warm.Help keep us warm mr Dugher by telling us what your going to do about it when you get back into power ?

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 23:56
@sid yes I would love to help put this world to rights. I'd make a good spokesperson. Make a good point sometimes. Thanks.