Motorway Junction's Traffic Light Plans Get Green Light

Tuesday December 17 2013

THE plan to put a £2million traffic light scheme on the motorway junction at Dodworth has been approved.

The council's ruling cabinet agreed to plans for lights on all entrances to the roundabout at junction 37 at its meeting last week.

However, the approval came with a word of warning from a senior voice at Barnsley Council.

Cllr Jim Andrews, deputy leader of the council, said similar works on the motorway junction at Birdwell had not resulted in the improved traffic flows intended.

"I won't say it's made it worse, but it's as bad as it has ever been," said Cllr Andrews.

"We still get traffic heading for the motorway queuing right back in to the village.

"If it needs to be done at Dodworth, it needs to be done right. It is a pinch point.

"I do hope the Highways Agency will keep a very close eye on it and make necessary adjustments if the traffic does not flow freely - like I hope they will be doing at Birdwell."

The Department of Transport has pledged £1.4million for the project with the shortfall to be made up by other grant applications.

It's hoped the improved traffic flow will aid development to the west of Barnsley.

Reply Posted by T on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 10:56
Gold plated traffic lights then?

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 11:11
£2 million for a few traffic lights and and few hundred yards of cable.??? Barnsley MBC must be a salesman's dream.!!!

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 11:14
Probably the same salesman who sold Jim Andrews £2 million pounds for obsolete fire engines that were too big get around South Yorkshire's streets.???

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 11:29
Some on here make me smile. OK its a lot of money,but you,as I, have no idea of the costings of these things. Pick,pick,pick! As an ordinary member of the public,none of us could hazard a guess at the monies involved! Just another "have a go at the council" thread.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 11:47
The article says the £600,000 will be made up by applications. What it fails to say is that if these applications are unsuccessful, then Barnsley Council will foot the bill out of Council Tax payers funds!

£2,000,000 for traffic lights is a ridiculous amount of money to WASTE. Barnsley Labour Council has once again WASTED huge amounts of money.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:28
Richard, I thought you'd been advised to contact the Highways Agency about the cost of this scheme seen as they are promoting it - what response did you get as to why it will cost so much? I assume you did contact them seen, as you've got such an issue with the estimated cost.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 11:58
James Andrews also using the word "hope" when he has secured the deal and signed everyone up to cough up £600,000 when his application to Europe for funding fails.

Has he not drawn up a contract with the Highways Agency to ensure they monitor the area where new (very expensive) traffic lights are installed IN BOTH areas?

Seems highly likely he has no idea how to seal a business deal without a blindfold and a suitcase full of somebody else's cash!

Reply Posted by Freddie on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 12:35
It's the Highways Agency who have to fund and arrange the works! Barnsley Council cannot legally underwrite the cost either! All they are is the relevant planning authority who have little to no influence re what a government agency decide re the M1. Some people like a dig at the council no matter what, wonder if they have an agenda?

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 13:03
@ Freddie, unfortunately your comments are not supported by an earlier WAB post on the very same subject, whereby it clearly stated that Barnsley Council would act as guarantor for the £600,000 shortfall if their applications fail.

The criticisms of Labour Council in Barnsley are not easily defended when their actions are so blatantly incompetent.

Reply Posted by ken on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 15:46
It must have been fact if it was on WAB dicky, just like all the other facts you read on the internet.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 16:09
@ ken, well they were direct quotes from what the Labour councillors said.

Maybe they're own quotes should be questioned in more detail? Maybe they can't be trusted? #justsaying :)

Reply Posted by Mark on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 18:53
Why do we need lights there. Its the most free flowing roundabout in barnsley

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 19:12
Exactly Mark!

Its BMBC wasting more of the tax payers' money, if somebody else was in charge of the purse strings, Barnsley would be a much more appealing a lucrative place for everyone to live.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 20:43
Oh dear, seems a hardened blinkered Labour voter has come to visit!

Reply Posted by ken on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 20:48
Oh he's back is he? The tory that won't admit to to being a tory. If he spoke with a scottish accent he'd say he was welsh.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 20:52
@Ken, my voting paper says I'm not a Tory. Silly comment, as accents and place of birth can of course be different. It pleases me that I have to explain that to you.

Reply Posted by ken on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:01
You don't have to explain anything to me you deluded jumped up clown. Keep posting your relentless tory guff, and everyone will keep laughing at you.

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 12:30
You will find everyone is laughing at you and the Labour BMBC. Getting a bit hot under the collar ken? Does it hurt you that the people of Barnsley are starting to turn on your beloved Labour cretins?

You and people like you are the reason Barnsley is a laughing stock!

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:03
Oh you must be a hardened Labour voter too! Nothing to say to defend the council, so just shout abusive comments instead! How very intelligent of you.

Reply Posted by gail on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:03
is that all they bothered over money what about the dodworth kids walking home from school its very busy but that's oreyt then not

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:06
@ Gail its £2m......I'm sure even a basic town planner could come up with a solution to the issue you mention at a fraction of the cost......but then this is Labour Council we are talking about here! LOL

Reply Posted by jud on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:15
I've no experience of this junction during weekday rush hours but have never had a problem the 1000s of times I've used it outside these 2hrs a day. What I would say is the approach lanes need marking to make it obvious which lane your supposed to be in to go down dodworth bypass when approaching from dodworth road on town side (and vice versa) as vehicles are always switching lanes at last second on the short road passing the encore hotel.
If the scheme goes ahead, please to god the council have common sense and only have the lights active for the 45 mins in morning and evening and turn them off the rest of the time.

Reply Posted by Harry on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:28
Jud @ I use this junction most weekdays around 8am to 8.30am. sometimes a bit of a hold up but that's the sheer volume of traffic,same as most places at that time..Not to sure Lights would be beneficial,only my opinion!!

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:31
@ Jud I agree with you and Harry, but to expect the council to exercise common sense is a step too far. When have they ever?

They don't listen to what people actually want, they just spend silly amounts of money on pointless projects.

Reply Posted by jud on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 21:56
could be a component part of the master plan to build the mythical northern bypass from dodworth through higham to the chestnut tree roundabout. I'm lead to believe surveyors were in the fields at higham a few months back

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 12:36
Ha ha Richards' decided he's Fred again.What a clown

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 12:44
Hello mr paranoid.

Are they letting you out at Christmas?

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 12:57
Oh, slightly off topic. BMBC promised us pot hole repairs would last longer with the new *Velocity Road Repairer* .

Well they lied AGAIN! It was on my road the other week repairing pot holes. Guess what... they are just as bad now if not worse. Aswell as the potholes we now have the loose gravel/tarmac to fill said potholes all over the road. How much did ths machine cost?

You are a shambles BMBC!

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:02
Fred, are you actually timing the life span of a pothole and then accusing the Council of lying???? Jesus wept man let it go.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:06
@ Hoyland Red lets take stock of this for a moment.....the life span of a pot hole repair should in theory stand a good test of time. It isn't.

Therefore I can see how using the word lying cound be construed as a tad unfair.

Lets use the words UTTERLY INCOMPETENT then, if they can't at least get a half decent job done at fixing something as simple and essential as a pot hole!

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:14
@Fred, any idea how much Labour BMBC spent, err I mean wasted on this so called Velocity Road Repairer?

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:23
Don't you think a pothole repair should last longer than a week?

BMBC/Roy Miller quote.. "The advantage of the new process is that the repairs will have a far longer life than coventional repairs"

That is not true now is it? Not only that, the road now resembles a dirt track and could chip the paintwork on my beautiful car. BMBC won't even send a road sweeper up to clean this mess up.

And before you all start, yes I have sent the mrs out with a sweeping brush.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:37
Fred, well I don't know - how long does a repaired pothole last? but hey ho the council are lying about how long a repaired pothole will last just to tee off people like you - double jesus wept on a stick!!! I assume that you've recorded which potholes have been filled, which have been filled and failed and which are new potholes, how long a pothole normally lasts filled conventionally, road temperature, air temperature etc etc. You'll also need a little note book and a sharp pencil. Quote "lied AGAIN" jeez.

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 14:59
I take it you're a councillor HR. BMBC are a shambles, there is no defence for them at all. Anyone with a bit of common sense will know this.

You're excused ... .

@fullstops
Thats thrown who? I don't sit at my computer 24/7.

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:25
#betterjobthanyou. Deluded fantasist, with wild assumptions. #whatatool

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:45
That's thrown him Richard/Fred the same person

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 15:40
Yes you do Richard gathering your google 'facts'. Nice condescending attitude shown to yet another person that doesn't agree with you as well. Same old, same old

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 16:50
Listen full stops, I know you can't get your head around Barnsley folk( believe me there is quite a few now) not voting Labour, but the people I know and talk to have had enough of these muppets at BMBC.

I don't google anything either, I know my stuff. One day you will look back and say "do you know, that Fred of WAB was right".

Less is more with Fred. I observe more than type.

PS

This obsession with you thinking im someone else makes me think you're the one making different accounts. You know what they say........

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:14
This coming from the resident nuttter.

I won't sleep tonight after that remark thank you very much. I suppose im AlanB aswell.

#....needshelp

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:24
Whatever floats your boat dicky

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:26
Then you go and remove your post above my previous post .... .Can you remove the rest of your posts fullstops ?

Ta.

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:37
Erm, maybe that was WAB. You're deranged dicky boy #freakshow

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:16
@ .... so WAB are still removing your posts then? At least they can see sense then! I'm sure based on your previous form it was either foul language or some form of abusive comment. And you refer to moi as a "crank"? Silly person.

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:42
You're hurting my feelings now fullstops.

Reply Posted by ...... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:50
Fred get yourself out of Dicky boy

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:47
You're boring me to tears as usual Richard

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:55
My name is Fred.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 18:58
Seriously? This nonsense again?

I can only guess the people posting pretending to be someone else work for Labour or BMBC. This is the sort of tactics they have been seen using in other areas. Foul language, abusive towards individuals and out to create confusion in naïve and vulnerable people. When they can't win an argument, this is what they choose to do. Sad and pathetic.

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:02
Give it up Richard you crank

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:07
Never ever seen you win an argument on WAB. So you resort to your preposterous alter-ego Fred to agree with you. Not a full shilling son

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:21
They removed some of yours as well crank

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 19:26
@ .... Thank you for proving my point about name calling and firing abusive comments. The intelligence bus is leaving.....and you're not on it!

Reply Posted by Phil D on Thursday December 19 2013 at 20:48
Richard, one of the early comments you made said that if these applications weren't accepted that it would be funded from council tax payers - Local Government finance is complicated but yours and my council tax doesn't pay for capital projects such as this. Not being pedantic but just thought I'd mention it.

Reply Posted by Leanne on Thursday December 19 2013 at 20:52
I use the roundabout going tooand from work on weekdays and don't think the traffic is heavy enough for it to need lights at a cost of two million.

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday December 19 2013 at 22:19
@ Phil D my comment you mention relating to this is a quote by a Labour Councillor on an earlier post relating to this exact topic.

If what you are saying is correct, then it appears that the Labour Councillor hasn't a clue what he is on about.....which of course would still come as no surprise. After all it was the Councillor that originally stated this.

Reply Posted by Scott on Thursday December 19 2013 at 22:53
Hope they let virgin media drop there cables across motorway bridge at same time so people who live in dodworth can get faster Internet

Reply Posted by Chief on Friday December 20 2013 at 02:46
There will always be traffic at rush hour, there's no point in trying any traffic light system. It would be easier to start some sort of work shift scheme that takes the pressure off 8am and 5pm rush hours nationwide. What a waste of £2m. :S

Reply Posted by m on Friday December 20 2013 at 07:54
Any scheme to improve our road network is welcomed by me, some people have an agenda with barnsley council they also have too much time on their hands the council are damned if they do or don't

Reply Posted by Richard on Friday December 20 2013 at 09:01
@m agenda or no agenda, the councillors themselves have openly said they are not even sure having traffic lights will help solve the problem and only "hope" the Highways Agency will monitor it. If they aren't convinced, then why have they spent the money? It's pretty hair brained if you ask me or many on this thread.