Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event


Patient Bled To Death Following Doctor's 'Gross Failure'

Monday December 2 2013

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

A BARNSLEY Hospital patient bled to death following the 'gross failure' of a doctor to give her a life-saving blood transfusion until it was too late.

Andrea Green, 42, died 14 hours after routine surgery for her back pain which may have been unnecessary in the first place, an inquest heard.

Consultant surgeon Hany Ismaiel accidentally cut an artery during the operation and subsequent internal bleeding wasn't picked up by staff.

Locum senior house officer Dr Oluwatosin Taiwo, who trained in Nigeria, failed to act 'promptly and efficiently' to give her a transfusion, according to a coroner.

The medic knew Miss Green had suffered a 'massive blood loss' but instead of giving her the transfusion when blood became ready, he called for more tests.

Assistant coroner Siobhan Kelly, in delivering her findings, said: "It was a gross failure of basic medical attention for the doctor not to ensure the blood transfusion took place as soon as possible.

"Had he done so Andrea Green would have lived."

In a narrative verdict, Ms Kelly said neglect contributed to Miss Green's death in March 2010 in that the transfusion should have been given sooner.

Dr Taiwo had only been working at the hospital for a week-and-a-half and did not have full orthopaedic experience. He no longer works there.

The coroner said after receiving a low haemoglobin reading he 'should have been pushing every panic button available'.

Miss Green, of Newman Avenue, Carlton, went into cardiac arrest and it was too late to save her life.

Her death came just weeks after consultants in the orthopaedic department warned management of the 'grave risks' to patient safety because of staffing levels.

But the coroner ruled the breakdown in relations had no effect on the care given to Miss Green.

"The errors which led to Andrea Green's death arose because of personal errors and not as a result of any systems failure.

"I cannot find that the actions of any of the clinicians was so bad that it amounted to a criminal act or omission deserving of punishment."

Miss Green's family have already settled out of court with the hospital's trust for a six-figure sum for medical negligence.

Afterwards Andrew Harrison, of Raleys Solicitors, said: "We would expect the General Medical Council to look at this case further to ensure no-one else has to go through an ordeal like this."

A Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust spokesman apologised to the family for the 'deficiencies in care' which contributed to Miss Green's death.

"The trust has sought to learn appropriate lessons to ensure that such a tragic event never happens again," he said.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
4 Showing 4 comments

Reply Posted by J on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 09:07
This is a tragic incident made even worse by the fact that it was completely avoidable. We as patients should be able to have complete faith in the medical professionals working in our hospitals but how can we when errors like this are happening? An incident not dissimilar to this happened with one of my relatives who sadly passed due to BDGH's negligence, how many more lives have to end unnecessarily before something is done? Disgusting!

Reply Posted by sally on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 11:10
Appalling should not have happened at all. You put your trust in people to care for you. To end up dead there are no words. The doctor concerned should never be allowed to work again. Never mind make sure it will not happen again.

Reply Posted by Joanne on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 09:02
Disgusting that hospital is crap thru their negligence my step daughter lost her hearing completely cause they didn't act fast enough passing her from pillow to post she is now completely deaf 26 yrs old and all her son wants is for his mummy to hear off Santa and they gonna get their arses kicked big time bdgh is shocking for an hospital

Reply Posted by sam on Friday December 6 2013 at 09:30
Barnsley hospital is one of the worst out there. My mum got rushed in around 6pm and it took the doctor nearly 9 hours to get to her which lead to my mum having a hart attack and we lost her. If they had acted quicker than they had she would still be here with us but due to neglect she is`nt. I deffinatly have no faith in Barnsley general and hope i never have to go in or i would ask to be transferred to sheffield.