Figures Show Residents Are Paying 'Bedroom Tax' Arrears

Thursday November 14 2013

Bedroom tax protests Bedroom tax protests

THE number of people who have contributed nothing towards their rent following the introduction of the 'bedroom tax' has fallen dramatically.

There are 2,700 tenants in Barnsley affected by the so-called tax, which is a reduction in the amount of housing benefit people in social housing receive if they're deemed to have a spare bedroom.

The latest figures from Berneslai Homes show that as of October 8, only 86 people had not paid anything towards the shortfall - a stark contrast to the 354 people who had still owed 100 per cent in May.

The figures also show that 858 tenants (35 per cent) have fully paid up.

But there are still 1,059 people who owe between one and 24 per cent of their arrears due to the bedroom tax shortfall.

Despite the drop, Fran Postlethwaite, of Barnsley Against Bedroom Tax, said 65 per cent of affected tenants were in arrears with their rent.

She said: "Every week we're meeting people who are struggling to feed themselves properly and keep up with their bills.

"The bedroom tax is driving many further into debt and creating real despair. When Berneslai Homes sends threatening letters to people who cannot manage to keep up with their payments this makes them even more frightened and desperate.

"We want Barnsley to join the 16 local councils who have promised that no-one will be evicted as a result of arrears arising from the bedroom tax."

During October, 73 people went before county court for rent arrears - 18 were related to the bedroom tax.

Of the 2,700 people affected by the bedroom tax, 15 per cent said they wished to downsize.

In 2012/13 Berneslai Homes rehoused 220 people in smaller homes, while so far this year it has rehoused 84.

Reply Posted by lilly on Thursday November 14 2013 at 10:38
i am a 54 yr old woman been unemployed for 18mths and have applied for over 400 jobs ,walked miles round every shop asking about a job,i have had 2 replys obviously saying thanks but no thanks,made god knows how many phone calls,not even 1 interview,employers take one look at my age and i dont stand a chance,my benefit is £74 a week but yet im told by people on these sites that im an idol beer swilling druggie scrounger,well heres my challenge to you all,find me one single person who is prepared to give me a full time job,as obviously i can't claim for kids at my age and i will do it,i dont expect anything for nothing but im sick to death of people thinking its an easy life.i wander how many of you have had your heating on over the last few weeks,mine hasnt been on for 18 months and thats fine i dont expect to have money for heating im not working but for gods sake you lot who will inevitably be on here sticking the boot in not all of us choose to be here,or live a fab lifestyle

Reply Posted by mr singh & family on Thursday November 14 2013 at 12:32
lilly@ well said.Me and my family also get targeted for being scroungers and druggies/piss heads. we don't work as a carer for my beautiful wife.who is very poorly..8 kids and non work,all claiming DLA has all carers for each other.No money for petrol for my 7 seater Nissan..but very warm house and always a lot of food..sky telly every room..we don't mix with community so need something to pass time..trouble with this country all the foreigners got the jobs..

Reply Posted by Sherdy16 on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 08:39
New tesco being built in Hoyland try the website......

Reply Posted by liz on Thursday November 14 2013 at 11:25
Lilly I also get judged as we have a big family with four kids ppl assume were scrounging they dont see that we actually provide for the kids dont go out drink smoke or have holidays my husband works hard to providr let them all think what they want unfortunately for people like us the majority give us all a bad name good luxk with the job hunt have u tried ventura they arent fussed over age or maybe asos I heard there setting on x

Reply Posted by liz on Thursday November 14 2013 at 11:27
Also if u can do it my mum last year went into caring that might be something to look into

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday November 14 2013 at 11:42
CUM ON NOW DIG DEEP IN THOSE POCKETS,AND PAY UP. ITS THE PROPER THING TO DO.

Reply Posted by Me... on Thursday November 14 2013 at 12:27
Lilly its illegal to discriminate on age, cvs i get no longer have it on. Experience means a lot to employers, keep searching sure something will come up. Ive seen / heard many job adverts this wk so things on the up. My partner & i work, have kids get NO tax credits or benefits etc etc n we have heating on an hr a day as we r skint too! Its seems to be the way at minute.

Reply Posted by lilly on Thursday November 14 2013 at 13:10
you know what me i dont believe its a right for anyone claiming benefits to assume its their right to have heating on, although in an ideal world no one would be cold,im satisfied with food in my belly and a roof over my head although it is easier for me as i dont have children living at home,and no matter what the circumstances no child should ever have to be cold but its disgraceful that somebody who works damned hard has to go cold

Reply Posted by Robbin on Thursday November 14 2013 at 15:27
Something has to be done about the people who are living alone in massive houses. Loan parents with 1 child in 4 bed roomed accommodation should be expected to move and not live beyond their means.

I have seen people wanting to swap their houses on items for sale. I'm not sure of your circumstances Lilly but the comment made by 'me' is absolutely right. There are jobs out there, you only have to look on the internet to see this. Ventura/capita, care homes, asos are always recruiting and as there is no requirement to have your DOB on your CV. You should not get any knock backs until the interview process. Unless there is something wrong with your CV?

you sound demoralised by lack of interest and don't mention that you have been on the internet to look for work at all. This is where all the proper jobs are.

Most people won't find work using the speculative approach. Bearing in mind there are 1000's of jobs in and around the barnsley area, are you sure you are willing to travel further a field?

It can be hard looking for work, which is why you have to ensure you are putting your self out there enough every day, that your CV rocks and that you stand out from the rest, and most importantly you don't give up!

You mention full time work, but even 20/30 hours would make a difference in comparison to the benefits you are claiming.

Good luck on the search, make sure u try ASOS & Capita. U could well be in work next week!!

Reply Posted by poor on Thursday November 14 2013 at 15:38
Robbin I don't think you sould be promoting ASOS ,Zero hour contracts and mostly agency work..We want a proper wage for a proper days work,Not peanuts for monkeys!!

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Thursday November 14 2013 at 16:41
@Lilly. Age is no excuse and should not be a factor. It may be that you need help to update your CV and you could always go back to college and retrain. After all if you are 54 you could have a career lasting 16 years or so. Most people need to work to nearly 70 nowadays. I am guessing that you cannot be bothered to do that.
@poor - any job is better than no job and it looks like Lilly needs some advice.
@Robbin - I agree that something needs to change with the housing expectations of one parent families and the long tern unemployed.
Plus to end my comment it is not a bedroom tax and there are many people who do work who cannot afford heating or food or clothes either.

Reply Posted by poor on Thursday November 14 2013 at 21:22
purple haze@ you are at it again..undermining people..learn to put your brain in gear before posting utter dogshit!

Reply Posted by Robbin on Thursday November 14 2013 at 16:49
@ poor - I think you will find that I was promoting a better job search. Where may I ask you is the harm in that? The adverts for ASOS show full time hours not zero hour contracts....Have a look! And if not ASOS as said plenty more jobs out there! Your comment certainly lives up to your name! Very poor and UNHELPFUL! Good luck with getting over your self!

Reply Posted by Robbin on Thursday November 14 2013 at 16:52
Oh and the wages at ASOS are better than most out there. As are Capita!

Reply Posted by poor on Thursday November 14 2013 at 18:37
Robbin@ It;s that good at ASOS,turnover of staff is the proof of a shithole..and it.s in your name ASOS IS ROBBIN people of dignity,,

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday November 15 2013 at 15:50
9,000 People have been through the doors at Asos,
Asos only recruit via agencies who hire and fire at will, face doesn't fit - fired, have to have an emergency day off - fired, etc etc etc

Asos have recently announced a massive leap in profits and intend to embark on a massive expansion scheme ,hardly surprising really being that they are a crap employer, paying crap wages and have one of (if not) the highest staff turnovers in Western Europe.

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 14 2013 at 17:44
Interesting how it was Labour opposing "Bedroom Tax" yet the could have won the vote to abolish it this week, had it not been for 31 Labour MP's failing to cast a vote. Clearly Labour aren't that interested in the subject they have been harping on about! Labour are a disgrace to the people paying their wages and this is just another example of it. It was nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 14 2013 at 19:15
Correction, it was in fact 47 Labour MP's that didn't vote against "Bedroom Tax".

So why were they making so much fuss when 20% of ALL Labour MPs aren't supporting their leader?

Reply Posted by tracy on Thursday November 14 2013 at 19:19
@Robbin. Maybe Lilly doesnt have internet??

Reply Posted by lilly on Thursday November 14 2013 at 21:18
robbin can i just point out to you love that im 54yrs old and this is the first time in all my adult life that i have not been working,so believe me i am trying asos was one of the places i did get an interview but due to a couple of health issues was deemed unsuitable,i am not afraid to do a low paid job robbin iv,e worked in factories all my life doing hard physically demanding jobs,and purple haze dont you dare say i can't be bothered ive worked all my damn life and i will take any job,its the easiest thing in the world for some nasty venom spitting idiot like you to judge someone you dont even know when you have got a job ,but you dont know anything about me so keep your nasty opinions to yourself and dont try to insult me by saying its advice your offering,and lets get something clear right now i dont just rely on the internet i get out there knocking on doors,and it may well be illegal to be age discriminate but i can tell you now they take one look see my age and that my health isn't 100% and i dont have a cat in hells chance.like i said iv'e worked all my life ,do you really think that i enjoy and choose to live like this,i don't think so.

Reply Posted by poor on Thursday November 14 2013 at 21:30
Well said lilly@ do many fools like robbin and purple haze.making people who already are down feel more down.Alright for them in there cosy lifestyles and haven't got a clue what it is like to be on the bread line..you can understand Lilly why the country is in such a state with morons like them..Lilly always remember there is NOBODY better than your good self..good luck with your future,,hold your head up high!!

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Monday November 18 2013 at 22:28
hey Lilly I think if you read my comments again I said that I bet you could not be bothered to get retrained. I wasn't spitting venom. Far from it. Or the rest of the crap you wrote. They were comments made by others.
So have you bothered to get retrained yet? No I did not think so.
I was pointing out that many older unemployed do not think it is worth their while to retrain but you are relatively young and could have a long career. You mention that you have done fairly menial jobs and have health issues. If you retrained you could get a job for example in a call centre where your health issues would be less of a problem or you could train to do child care which would be an improvement wages wise and comfort wise to that of a factory. I was trying to be positive but hey its down to you now.

Reply Posted by dig a big hole purple daze on Monday November 18 2013 at 22:32
your digging an even bigger hole..in a daze

Reply Posted by lilly on Thursday November 14 2013 at 22:08
thankyou poor.i was always raised never to judge someone i dont know so what i would like to do is offer both purple haze and robbin the chance to meet me personally. ask me anything they want to know, speak to me about my life and my work ethics and then look me in the eye and say to me what they find so easy to write on here

Reply Posted by Robbin on Friday November 15 2013 at 08:54
@tracy - maybe she doesn't have the internet. Kind of not an excuse when you can get free internet access anywhere now a days.

@ poor. Do I have a cozy lifestyle? Nope! Far from it. I have been in Lily's position but I got myself out of it. By remaining positive, never giving up hope. I was trying to give Lilly some advice. Stopping her from listening from negative people like you who appear to have thrown the towel in on life. Like purple haze said some people will be working until they are 70. Lilly is only young n for her to feel like this until she is 70 is not healthy. I know of the high turn over at ASOS, I know many people sacked for pinching! But I didn't only mention ASOS did I? I beg to differ about the country being in a state because of me, but wouldn't expect you to make a factual comment.

@lilly forgive me if you feel offended by my comments. This was certainly not my intention. I have been in your position. I lost everything I owned. I now work a job a don't love but I'm holding out for something better.

Excellent news that you had an interview at ASOS but if you do have health conditions it's probably better that you don't work there, as I understand it can be physically demanding. I never said you were afraid to earn a low wage.
Unfortunately that's all that's out there.

I mentioned the internet because like you say, you're going out and about but they take one look at you and can see you're in poor health and they aren't interested. Kind of a waste of time, I'm sure you would agree?

I reckon you should try capita, there is no demand on your health there. TSC also have adverts sometimes.

I don't wish to meet you, I have no reason to do so. I think you can either snap out of it, and stay positive that something will come along. or carry on listening to people like poor who seem to have lost faith in anything a long time ago, and are quick to judge others.

I really do hope something comes along or that you go and find something that suits you. Please don't give up!

I won't post anymore as my comments appear to fall in deaf ears and offend others who are easily offended.

Reply Posted by lilly on Friday November 15 2013 at 09:22
i am staying positive robbin or i wouldnt be out there day after day trying,and i am also not easily offended but you know what when you read the remarks people like you spout day after day, week after week, month after month, when you are spending all day every day in one form or another trying to get a job it starts to grind on you a bit as im sure if youv'e been in this position you will appreciate and this will be my last comment to you robbin as my comments too see to be falling on deaf ears

Reply Posted by DBoo on Friday November 15 2013 at 10:07
Why r u you posting on here about looking for work, article is about bedroom tax, or even people paying for rooms they don't need. Our country is on its arse & we have to recover this money. People who work pay tax n those claiming housing benefit have an under occupancy supplement to pay!

Now for the crap...mr Singh is obviously a comedian or extracting the urine out of the system! Lilly needs understand it's not easy to find work but it's no one else's fault! Tracy needs to ask her sen how Lilly can be posting all this without internet? Robbin needs to pipe down being the do gooder, some fowk just don't wanna know! Purple haze you're right. It's not bedroom tax. People who work don't live in 10 bed roomed houses when they r on nat min wage because they can't afford it! Poor, poor indeed! Did u have a bad experience at work? Richard, your only one making valid comments ont post. Regardless of the amount if people voting. It is clear everyone agrees bedroom tax is tway forward, people not paying it will find them sens in arrears! Rant over!

Reply Posted by BDOO on Friday November 15 2013 at 10:21
what utter diarria you post..if only one genuine person reads Lilly;s post and offers her a job..then I think Posting on a site would have been beneficial to her..Stop been a complete waste of breath and anybody can post what there like..you sure have no knowledge of life...People have been known to stand on the road side with billboards looking for work and some have been kucky to get a job that way..What you saying there not street lamps so have no reason to be there,trying to better there life..people like you make me vomit..now go and get your head in the financial times with your cappuccino,

Reply Posted by Star on Friday November 15 2013 at 11:58
Lilly - I hope you get a job soon love. Just keep trying, it will pay off. Don't worry about the comments on this site. You do get a few WABers who make valid and sensible comments but the majority are thick brainless who like to put people down.

Reply Posted by baker boy on Saturday November 16 2013 at 10:02
Lilly, we have just opened a job up on the jobcentre for a dayshift packing assistant in the bakery I work for if you forward a CV or phone Andrew on the number provided he will take a look, he's desperate for a new packer so try your luck maybe :)

Reply Posted by lilly on Saturday November 16 2013 at 18:44
thankyou baker boy do you have the number to contact andrew on please

Reply Posted by tsc or capita no go on Monday November 18 2013 at 22:32
Capita do require experience although majority of advertisements states no experience needed!!! Arent very lenient on time of if needed due to health issues and as for tsc look it up on reed.co.uk as I can assure you its a bag of w**k ex employee og capita and current employee of tsc

Reply Posted by nat on Monday November 18 2013 at 23:04
hiya lilly , ignore the small minded nasty people that spout crap and put people down. if you drive and have a car call care mark 01226 720 745 they always need carers hun . i work for them yes there contracts are zero hours but no one gets less than full time if thats what they want, also try baileys cafe in the market they always setting on and good luck

Reply Posted by Paul on Monday November 18 2013 at 23:27
Hi lily, this is no joke, I'll give you a job and anyone else wanting work, www.topincome.co.uk/pauldavison go to that website and you'll receive an email with more info, thanks for reading

Reply Posted by Me. on Wednesday November 20 2013 at 07:38
Well i pay my bedroom tax n never missed any.so does that mean if the ones who ant paid are let off with it do us thats paid it get it back...i doubt

ipso Regulated