Cycling Club Ticked Off For Time Trials On Trail

Thursday October 31 2013

A CYCLING club has been ticked off - after members illegally took part in time trials on the Trans Pennine Trail.

Penistone East councillor Paul Hand-Davis told Penistone Town Council about the issue last Monday.

Use of the trail has been an issue recently with a number of disputes between the different users including dog walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

"Tarmacing has speeded the whole thing up," said Cllr Hand-Davis.

"A cycling club has been time trialling on there but we stopped that because it’s illegal."

Cllr Hand-Davis said putting signs on the trail was one idea being discussed.

Reply Posted by Annonymouse on Thursday October 31 2013 at 16:41
Fun police at it again

Reply Posted by Gary on Thursday October 31 2013 at 18:00
Why is it illegal to time trial on their? I'v never seen any speed limit signs when i'v been riding on the trails.

Reply Posted by Ian on Thursday October 31 2013 at 18:57
If I'd have known I would have been up for a time trial...

Reply Posted by really! on Thursday October 31 2013 at 22:11
The 'serious' cyclists using the trail think they have more rights to use it tham anyone else. They are rude and down right dangerous to other uses. One woman cyclists stopped one inch from a friends toddler even though she could see them half mile away, she didn't say a word just cycled off shaking her head!

Reply Posted by Lincoln on Friday November 1 2013 at 08:38
Some (and I say 'some') cyclists are pricks. I run near my house on the canal towpath. Some of the cyclists go at such speed along the path. I have had to jump sideways into the hedge to avoid them. I always give them abuse.

Reply Posted by to abarham lincoln on Friday November 1 2013 at 09:19
Shame da didnt fall in.

Reply Posted by Lincoln on Friday November 1 2013 at 09:28
@abarham lincoln - You are a bit dim aren't you? I said 'some cyclists are pricks' Some are imbeciles who selfishly peddle at high speeds and don't care about other people. Learn to read lovey.

Reply Posted by Lincoln Partido on Friday November 1 2013 at 16:42
He just said it's a 'shame da didnt fall in'. He didn't comment on anything specific you'd written.

Reply Posted by cyclist on Sunday November 3 2013 at 14:08
Im a cyclist but only to keep fit and loose weight. I use the trail and also some other cycle paths.. I do speed along to keep my heart rate up and so to loose fat..but I always slow down for people,dogs and kids and let them past or ring my bell to let them know im there and I always say thank you.
Some of the cyclists using it as a time trail is wrong and dangerous,its not a race track.

Reply Posted by john on Thursday October 1 2015 at 22:45
I / we always slow down for horses and walkers but the dog walkers look at us as if we are scum and rarely acknowledge our politeness they are rud and ignorant and I am not anti got owners I have had dogs and my family have always had dogs but I/we always took them a proper walk in the fields and woods I used to walk 3-4 miles before or after work after all a dog needs that kind of exercise. They seem to think it is their right to take all the pathway me and my pals have stopped before they will move out of the way ( rude and ignorant)

Reply Posted by john on Thursday October 1 2015 at 22:47
Excuse the spelling fingers too big for the key board lol

Reply Posted by DAVE FRUM TARN on Sunday November 3 2013 at 14:12
**** CYCLISTS AND **** HORSES

Reply Posted by RothschilD on Sunday November 3 2013 at 15:36
I went past a guy walking on the trail, I was travelling sure, but I was under control and passed him leaving about 3ft. He saw us coming n decided not to move to make himself feel safer, then got super angry n was going to take a swing at me...until he realised I'd have splattered him all over the trail if he did, n he got smart n left. Fact is, people get a bee in their bonnet n think they own the place. I've had people purposely step into my way cos they think they have a right to be dangerous n put me and themselves in danger jus to prove some half baked point they have been stewing over. No harm, no foul. U people need to get a grip n stop asking for everything to be policed by some self righteous pricks. If u use the trail, know and accept the dangers, or don't use it.

Reply Posted by Gloit on Wednesday November 6 2013 at 22:03
New business's!, Invest in Barnsley! We're lovely people with great countryside!.

Reply Posted by john on Thursday October 1 2015 at 22:36
I would like to say the so called dog walkers mostly use the trail as a doggy toilet. They ignore cyclist even when they have heard and seen you they congregate together and take all the path up and as for the dog I heard was killed by a cyclist well it must have been off the lead like the one the chased me trying to bite me and the ones on extended leads. At the end of the day central and local government are encourage in us to get fitter and cut the ommision down and also we as cyclist support businesses in and around penistone unlike the local dog walkers that can't be bothered to give the dog some real exercise and go in the fields and woods it is too easy to just let them mess. I know a minority pick up and put it in bins provided but most pick up tie it in a bag then leave it or hang it in a tree. What is worse than dog poo. It is time that the way was marked clearly so cyclist have a side to keep to and ride single file and the same for dog walkers. And all dogs on leads for the weekends get very busy when the weather is nice families with young children in their bikes and the last thing they need is a dog chasing them trying to bite them, it may be a youngster hurt or worse.