Barnsley's Oldest Market Stall To Close

Tuesday October 15 2013

BARNSLEY'S oldest market stall is closing - and the owner says he's glad because the market is 'going downhill'. Do you agree?

Arnie Homer, 64, has been running Sid Tyas sweetshop for more than 28 years after taking over from former owner Sid Tyas, who started the business in 1949 and is now in his 90s.

The stall is not to be confused with Sailor Sid's in the semi-open market - although some people get mixed up as both the stall founders were named Sid.

Arnie, of Mapplewell, is retiring. He says higher car parking charges, changes in shopping habits and market management problems are killing the market.

He said: "It was a fantastic market and it's scandalous the way it's going. When I first started you couldn't move. You couldn't get away even after 5.15pm because there were so many customers.

"But now people are going to supermarkets where they don't have to pay for parking. Not many youngsters come here - they don't know how to cook so they're not going to come in for meat and veg.

"Shopping habits have changed. You only have to look at Barnsley town centre to see that."

He also complained that new traders are now taking on stalls for half the rent that well-established stall holders are paying.

Arnie said: "The market office will also not let people close early - even if they aren't making any money - because they say that's bad for trade.

"I thought at one time I would miss it, but the way the market is going it's boring and soul destroying to stand here. One stall holder who sells coats made just £50 in three days."

Do you agree with Arnie that the market's going downhill? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 14:11
I agree barnsley market as gone down tbh can't even call it a market anymore it wa a well known market but now its same stalls n nt much t outside market anymore

Reply Posted by LADYBOY on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 08:46
GET DI SEN TO CASTLEFORD MARKET THATS A RYHT UN.

Reply Posted by market trader too on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 14:43
I agree the market is going downhill. That includes the district ones too. There's no incentive offered to trade on the market. Most of the managers don't have a clue, especially about their own rules. He's right about the costs too, we pay the same on two markets but on one we have had to buy own own stall to put up!
Its time BMBC reduced the costs like they have done at many others. Perhaps then stall holders would stay, there be more selection and it'd be busier.

Reply Posted by Benn on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 15:03
Dont tar all the younger generation with the same brush!! Both my kids can cook and do cook meat and vegetables!!

Reply Posted by well said on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 19:32
Totally agree Benn, i'm 27 and have been cooking roast dinners since i was 12 for the whole family, my family believe in starting home made baking and cooking young and my wide knowledge of food and how to cook has been passed down generations. I bake/cook every single day of the week and with my 6yr old son who loves to cook, it's a normal routine for us to make meals go further with the cost of food these days and i'd rather know whats in my food than by processed!!! Always quick to judge the 'younger generation'... yes there is 'some' younger people who cant cook a meal, act out of sorts etc but maybe if their parents or 'older generations' were more hands on with them they'd have learnt a few important life skills like cooking, respect and self value!!!

Reply Posted by Oliver Goodrant on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 15:31
Terrible news to hear. I've been visiting that stall since I was about 13 years old, I'm 46 now. The staff are people that have remembered me all that time so to see them leave the market will be a shame. All I can say is a big thank you to them for being a fondly remembered piece of my childhood. I wish them all the best for the future.

Reply Posted by Andy G on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 15:33
If the Market is doing so terribly why are all the stalls rented out?

I smell a disgruntled rat.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 16:54
I take it you haven't been in the market on a Saturday for a while?

I walked through about four weeks ago and it was like a ghost town, less than half of the stalls were occupied.

Reply Posted by vicky on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 15:46
My mum has worked on that stall for 27 years is sad to leave but has seen the market decline big time. Years ago they used to av bus trips from all over the uk as Barnsley market was the best around.

Reply Posted by vicky on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 15:49
And to Andy g no not all stalls are rented out if u look. And the new oned that are coming in get half price rent compared to the ones that av been there years. So wot incentive is there to keep the traditional ones going

Reply Posted by Market Kid on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 15:50
I hit the market all the time, get all my fresh food from there. However, I'd never buy sweet purely because I like to eat healthy.

Perhaps this is a sign of the times - with the focus put on healthier lifestyles these days, maybe it's what is being sold by Sid's stall that isn't as in demand as before.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 16:09
Markets and small shops have had the day. People don't shop in town centres anymore they go out of town. They should knock the market down and leave an open space for temporary stalls and fares like they had in the old days. Put a bit of fun back into the place.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 16:41
@rainbow. Not sure if thats fully the case. I go to York for the shops,as ours are poor. So I do use the small shops. But,yes,the markets are going. I would prefer to shop in Barnsley,but theres no choice. York markets no good either,apart from when its a special,like we had the other week. Wakefield markets poor too, shame,but theyre going.

Reply Posted by jonny on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 18:04
any chearp spice left ??/

Reply Posted by jonny on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 18:04
any chearp spice left ??/

Reply Posted by pat on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 21:56
Barnsley market should have been left as it was years ago and more people would have shopped for the novelty of it.

Reply Posted by Tom on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 22:46
Have an open air market, where people can trade rent free.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 08:37
I absolutely love the market. I think it is one of the Barnsley's best features. I was visiting a few weeks ago and I walked through the fish market. Fresh crab, huge tuna steaks and great big scallops. I was amazed by the prices. Everything seemed so cheap compared to where I live. Another stall had a wonderful array of fruit and vegetables and the stall was so lovely to look at. If i lived in Barnsley I would take a a bag and get everything there. Who wants to go to a supermarket when you have a market.

Reply Posted by andy on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 08:58
knock it down and build a college.

Reply Posted by jedge on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 22:40
guna miss this stall ive been goin to this sweet stall from been a little kids the markets not guna be same without it x

Reply Posted by bryn on Thursday October 17 2013 at 17:23
Barnsley market as gone downhill a lot werent it the largest open market in europe

Reply Posted by andy hater on Thursday October 17 2013 at 17:26
@andy i hope your trying to be clever..its not working but at least you wont sound like such a moron then

Reply Posted by andrea on Saturday October 19 2013 at 10:08
i walked through outdoor market last week and they were some new stalls on outdoor, i thought it was looking a bit fuller

Reply Posted by tracy on Saturday October 19 2013 at 10:10
I agree markets not what it used to be, even as litttle aa ten years ago it used to be hustle n bustle n used to get majority of my glad rags from there rather than shops. i went a few weeks ago n it was dead :/

Reply Posted by john hunt on Saturday October 19 2013 at 10:18
agree with a lot of posts,but the councils need to move with the times,for 1 the market does not look appealing,with empty stalls it looks like a ghost town,cripling rents do not attract new stalls,needs a make over,freshen the place up,might make it more appealing,car park prices to high,sadly the council are still living in the dark ages and sadly cant see what the town is becoming,get somebody on the council with a backbone and sort this mess out,

Reply Posted by kiddi on Tuesday October 21 2014 at 15:43
Sid tyas as reopened under the name sweet treats looks alot better now

Reply Posted by Norma linford on Wednesday April 26 2017 at 08:42
I would like to complain about the cafe's in both markets you are sat freezing so are not staying to eat it is most uncomfortable