Would You Recommend Barnsley Hospital's Maternity Services?

Wednesday October 16 2013

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

WOULD you recommend Barnsley Hospital's maternity services?

Women in the town are being asked that very question by the hospital in order for it to improve its patients' experiences.

All women who receive care across four areas are being asked the question in an extension of the Friends and Family test.

The four areas are antenatal care, birth care on the labour suit, postnatal ward care and postnatal community care.

Jill Pell, head of patient experience at Barnsley Hospital, said: "The feedback will prove invaluable in helping us to make the patient experience we provide as good as it possibly can be."

Reply Posted by katy on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:28
i had my son Tyler at barnsley hospital the care was lovely and the staff was so nice all that needed doing was the labour rooms they had no TVs and no comfy chairs for my husband so with me been in labour for 11 and half hour was un comfy for him and they was no TV so he couldn't even watch that. But everything else was perfect couldn't get any better staff they was lovely.

Reply Posted by Dani on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:37
I had my son their staff was lovely helped out loads just one problem the staff said i was not in labour so they told me to go up to hospital so they could examain me and i was 10cm but everything eles was fine.

Reply Posted by e on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 16:40
private rooms would be better and allowing partners to spend the night, when i had my baby and was put on the public ward i couldnt sleep due to surrounding noise and i wished my partner stayed, waiting for his visit seemed like a lifetime x other than that i received fantastic care and Holly my midwife was amazing

Reply Posted by Megan. on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:15
I will be honest, the care I received during my labour last September wasn't completely great. I was left for over half an hour on the bed sat in my own blood after id given birth. Saying that though, I cannot fault them after saving my mum and sisters lives when my mum needed an emergency c-section after suffering from Placenta Praevia.
Unfortunately everyone will have good and bad experiences and it's such a shame for those that have bad experiences, but I suppose if it's that bad of an experience then the complaints procedure is in place and other hospitals are available.
One thing I would certainly change is having partners being able to stay much longer or even overnight. I gave birth to my son at 6:45am and as soon as I was on the ward my partner had to go back home and wait till visiting hours. That was a big shame he couldn't have been there during them first few hours. Plus I was knackered after nearly 24 hours of labour! Haha.

Reply Posted by sue sidebottom on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:44
I had my daughter there 25yrs ago n she had her son there in june.. brilliant staff couldnt do enough to help nothing too much...highly recommended by us..

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 18:46
Having delivered all my three children in BDGH, I can honestly say that the care was outstanding - ok my husband had to leave, ok it can be quite noisy, ok there was no TV in the delivery room (huh??), but I never complained. I was just thankful my 3 babies were fine and that the staff were so nice. Some people will find anything to complain over these days - we should think ourselves very lucky that we have the facilities and the staff to help and count our blessings we don't live in a third world country where they deliver their babies in fields and then go straight back to work!! We have it cushy to say the least I think!!

Reply Posted by mum of three on Wednesday October 16 2013 at 21:15
My daughter was delivered safe and well
What fantastic staff
Barnsley hospital is one of the cleanest in the country we are very very lucky
Some people do have bad experiences but som Just make a career out of moaning and complaining

Reply Posted by Green whip on Thursday October 17 2013 at 09:06
I have had 3 kids at BDGH. There are some great staff and some awful staff. The worst staff are on the post natal wards.
It is ridiculous in this day and age for the father to be kicked out of the hospital as soon as his child is born. I had my second baby at 10pm. Once I had got cleaned up I was pushed onto the ward, exhausted and my hubby who was carrying all my bags was stopped at the ward door and told to go home. I did not get chance to say good bye nor could he cuddle his child. I was plonked in a busy loud ward whilst being unwell and then told to look after my baby. They stated that as I was a second time mum they expected me to manage and left me. I could hardly move or get out of bed. They all went off and made a brew and sat outside the ward with the radio on cackling all night. Which is pretty typical of their behaviour.

Reply Posted by milzi on Thursday October 17 2013 at 12:34
I wouldn't let my dog give birth there there after my nethew and son and daughters experiences there very poor quality care staff very rude and inconsiderate rooms very out of date thay need to knock the whole building down and rebuild it away from the rest of bdgh and find new staff that smile and make you feel comfortable really unhappy with just about everything in that part of the hostpital its a shame really as they spoiled the most special parts of my life

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday October 18 2013 at 10:13
I cannot believe the moaning by some posters on this thread. Think yourself lucky you don't have to give birth in some London hospitals, some of them are rife with hospital-borne infections such as MRSA.

@katy - no TV's in the labour rooms? Shocking. Ever thought about paying for a private hospital? Maybe you can book into The Portland next time you give birth?

Reply Posted by Peter on Saturday October 19 2013 at 17:10
NO my friends wife lost her life at BDGH giving birth and a baby had to grow up without a mum all because she was bleeding internally and they gave her warfarin which made it worse . There is a young man that never new his mum all because of cock up so sad .. RIP

Reply Posted by saz on Monday October 21 2013 at 22:53
I had a terrible experience at barnsley hospital, this has put me off having any more children. First of all I was left 17 days overdue, my sons heartbeat stopped twice on the Wednesday and he still wasnt born till the friday by cesarean and only because I could feel everything they finally put me to sleep and did an emergency one after 27 hours of labour, so after being in hospital for over a week my son was born 17 days late.....

Reply Posted by E on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 00:04
What a ridiculous question, of course I would recommend them. The care I received when I had my daughter 6 years ago was outstanding and since that time my friends have had babies and also spoke highly of the service. I found the midwives within the unit to be friendly and professional at a time when all I wanted was someone to be kind to me and ensure my baby was safe. They did this and more! There was never a shortage of a friendly face or a helping hand and I will be forever grateful for this. If ever I were to have another baby I would feel very lucky to be able to do it at Barnsley amongst the talented midwives that I was lucky enough to meet. I think I'd even consider going back if I was at the other side of the world!

Reply Posted by WaBla on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 23:00
I am pregnant at the moment and I am living very close to the hospital. However after having couple appointments I decided to change hospital and it happened already. I don't like outdated rules and equipment, old fashion thinking, no facilities to collect umbilical cord blood and also can't agree it is one of cleanest hospital in the country - it's opposite! Midwives are ok, but can't give good opinion about OB/GYNs as they stuck in 12th Century LOL

Reply Posted by Pad on Friday October 25 2013 at 12:17
Interesting to see that the department received top grades when inspected by the Care Quality Commission then.

I wonder how many of the people above actually made a formal complaint as well?

Reply Posted by Janet Watson on Monday May 25 2015 at 17:04
My Daughter gave birth on 24/05/2015 at 03.45am the Midwives both in the Triage department and on the labour ward, both of them named Jo sorry I did not catch their surnames were very professional and had patience for Adele.
They were a credit to the Barnsley Maternity Service. Thank-you very much for a safe delivery.