News » WAB Debate

Could More Be Done For Travellers? - A WAB Debate

Tuesday October 22 2013

Could more be done to resolve this? Have your say. Could more be done to resolve this? Have your say.

COULD more be done by the council to restrict travellers setting up where they like? Have your say on today's WAB Debate.

A long-running issue in the town, the problem arose once again recently as scores of caravans made their way to a playing field near the town centre.

Commercial FC, who were due to play a cup match on the field, were advised to cancel the match to 'avoid confrontation' with the travellers. The tie was played away, incurring travel costs and inconvenience for the club.

"More than anything it's the rubbish they leave behind and they chuck all their dirty nappies on the pitch and I've had to clear most of this up before," said Michael Thomas, the club's manager.

"They're driving their cars and vans on the pitch as well and it's ruining it. It's frustrating because I can't do anything about it. I said to the council isn't it about time something is done with the fencing and the gate to make it more secure."

Then, just last week, travellers chose a site at Locke Park.

It's a regular occurrence. People complain, the council issues an unauthorised encampment notice and then it rears its head at another place. What do you think? Could more be done to resolve this long-running issue? If so, what can be done? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Mr x on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 11:45
When theys a match they should all come at same time in a big group and out number them and then play around caravans they will soon move people are scared of the travellers

Reply Posted by Neil on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 12:17
LOL, really? People scared of travellers? Since when?

Reply Posted by Yanny on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 12:32
Im scared off them Neil. One came to my place of work, when I refused to buy a piece of lace,she said I,d never lose my wieght,put a pox on me and then sneaked into our loo and crapped everywhere...sink.seat,taps, I maen everywhere. Not making that up either its true.

Reply Posted by to neil on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 10:16
say that to gypsy kevin from royston,hed snuff you out in a flash big boy neil.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 12:07
I agree, both teams should come and play around the caravans. then bring a bulldozer and crush them.

Reply Posted by spike on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 12:29
It does not matter where the travellers go they ALWAYS leave the place like a TIP , they have no respect for other peoples property and then they wonder why people dont respect them.

Reply Posted by DaveE on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 13:49
The antisocial problems seen with a minority of travellers - squatting, waste, crime, truancy etc - have also been common in poorer areas of the settled community. We've started to get to grips with this through various anti-social orders, action against poverty and in raising aspiration through new schools, training programmes etc.. However, there are always those families who will remain disfunctional and antisocial for a variety of reasons, often multi-generational.

I'd like to know how experts in the field, including those in the traveller community, propose to tackle these issues.

A transient community with its own culture will always be on the edge, but if we can get a deal on behaviour vs investment, eg with some more caravan sites in return for national tracking and punishment of offenders, and more joint community links - then its win-win.

Reply Posted by semiscot on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 13:49
I thought the Council exterminated vermin. I rest my case

Reply Posted by MGF on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 14:07
Having had first hand experience for a number of years, I can honestly say I've never known "travellers" actually travel. I live at Stairfoot and the group that congregated off Tank Row were there years. The obvious solution is to provide a area where they can stay with systems/facilities in place to monitor them. It probably wiill happen-like it or not-as BMBC would receive a hefty payment from central government should they do it. But who wants that in their backyard? Councillor Cheetham was highly in favour of a settlement at the rear of Mcdonalds at Stairfoot a few years ago IIRC. I wonder if he'd be as happy to have a similar encampment near his property at Royston?

Reply Posted by G&T on Thursday October 24 2013 at 13:59
This isn't a debate. This is DaveE raising decent conjecture and others having a snipe

Reply Posted by me on Saturday October 26 2013 at 13:38
Let them move in town hall.

Reply Posted by Beatrice on Monday October 28 2013 at 15:34
Build a stopping place where they can stop for a day or two on their travel through.
Charge for them to stop there and provide litter bins and a toilet. I'm not saying as much as Travelodge or Premier Inn, but decent enough to recoup the cost of providing, manning and maintaining said place (as well as a bit extra maybe to recoup the costs of these recurring clear ups?). Surely if there is a caravan site there for them to use, (maybe with a three/four day maximum stay - payment upfront), we will no longer here that the police can't move them and will simply watch them breaking onto land, and the coucil won't have to go through the legal process of re-aquiring the land for the public because the police will be able to say "sorry mr Traveller, you can't park here it is a park/road/football field, however there is a place provided we will escort you there now. Please ensure you use the bins and toilets provided or we will be back to press criminal damage charges or something" Problem solved

Reply Posted by cozza on Tuesday October 29 2013 at 00:49
they need to go away they are muckey ens chcking all there crap all over other week they was in netherwood car park parents were scared to park there cars there

Reply Posted by Ilovemycaravan on Monday November 4 2013 at 18:05
YES YOU COULD ALL PISS OFF AND LEAVE US ALONE THEN MAYBE WE WOULD SHOWN A TINY BIT OF RESPECT.
OUR GIRLS ARNT WHORS........ THEY DONT DRINK UNTIL MARRIED.....

SO BEFORE YOU LOT START BRINGING US DOWN OPEN YOUR EYES AND HAVE A LOOK AT OUR COMMUNITY.

WE MAKE SURE OUR KIDS ARE SAFE ITS ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT DONT. I.E KIDNAPPING, RAPES, MURDERS.
HOW MANY TRAVELLER BABYS/CHILDREN/WOMAN GET RAPED MURDERED AND KIDNAPPED.

Reply Posted by ilovetobabonthefloor on Thursday November 7 2013 at 12:13
AND WE LUVE CAPS LACK.

Reply Posted by the real sid on Thursday November 7 2013 at 12:29
thte traveller's are a great bunch of the people ,in fact some of my close are traveller's .there nought wrong with them and as far as making a mess and leaving rubbish behind.how do you know its them and not your very own barnsley born and bred smackheads?.

Reply Posted by the real sid on Thursday November 7 2013 at 13:17
sorry for the spelling mistakes in the above post,my keyboard is playing silly buggers again.i dont think it helped it this morning when i spilled a pint of the good old jungle juice over it.now you know grammar police.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Thursday November 7 2013 at 13:42
Guess who,s back..It,s me the real Swifty!

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 00:04
Personally, I'd employ the use of landmines against them.

Reply Posted by slackguardianofdoom on Friday November 29 2013 at 14:16
That wouldn't help bring the land they have occupied back into public use - plus it wouldn't deal with the problem. One occupant would be severley injured or killed, as a welfare issue while treated allowances would be made for the encampment. Plus they would be unable to move off due to the landmines. If the landmines were put down as a preventative measure the blood of the communities children or dog walkers who would have used the land would be on your hands for years to come as people accidently step on these mines - the fear of which would make residents fearful to go near the land leaving it out of use and therefore may as well have been used by the gypsies.
I agree with beatriss, if they had somewhere they had to go but were charged to use it, they would have a viable option to plonking themselves anywhere and as this option was available the police would shift them without any fuss.

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Monday December 2 2013 at 23:27
^Chopper.

Reply Posted by Mad from Tarn on Friday December 20 2013 at 16:47
I bet if I parked my car on Broadway footie pitch, it'd be towed away straight away not 2 weeks later. Tow the caravans and any vehicles that are there and crush em. They'll not park there again.

Reply Posted by Chicken Nugget on Monday August 4 2014 at 20:58