Sainsbury's Set To Unveil Plans To Public Today

Friday October 11 2013

Sainsbury's Sainsbury's

SAINSBURY'S will unveil its plans for a new food store to the public today.

The supermarket chain, who are set to take over the B&Q store at Stairfoot, will begin its public consultation on its plans at an open exhibition today and tomorrow.

It's proposing to convert the DIY store, on Bleachcroft Way at Stairfoot Business Park, creating up to 400 jobs.

The plans will go on display at Ardsley and Stairfoot Community Centre on Doncaster Road from 11am-7pm today, and at Ardsley House Hotel on October 12, from 10am-4pm.

At present the building is restricted to the sale of DIY products, but if Barnsley Council agrees to lifting this restriction Sainsbury's would like to turn the building into a 73,500sq ft store which will also have a petrol station, car parking and a cafe.

Bruno Moore, Sainsbury's head of town planning, said: "This store will bring more choice to the town while creating up to 400 jobs for local people, but first we'd like to know what the community thinks."

Reply Posted by mrx on Friday October 11 2013 at 09:39
Would we are barnsley be able to get a copy and put them online or in chronicle

Reply Posted by mr dave on Friday October 11 2013 at 10:23
surely with the Tesco just a few hundred yards away, and the Aldi not so far away from that, surely theres too much competiton? the OFT will surely be sticking there nose in!?

Reply Posted by jister on Friday October 11 2013 at 11:24
How of the jobs will be full time? Less than 10% I guess

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday October 11 2013 at 11:32
I like the idea of the extra choice but I just don't think the traffic issues can be managed. The number of cars heading to Sainsbury's will be more than the number using B&Q and crucially will peak massively on a Friday afternoon & weekend when the area is already too busy.

Reply Posted by tarn on Friday October 11 2013 at 14:28
I like the idea and also cafe and petrol station. More competition for Tesco's. I think another road could be made into the area using the wasteland. Coming from Wombwell side turn left before the new Halfords/Greggs store and then a road round the back of Tesco's leading onto BleachCroft way. That way you wont get the traffic coming all the way to Stairfoot.

Reply Posted by jack on Friday October 11 2013 at 16:48
Mick, you have hit the nail on the head with the traffic issues. Even now, on a friday afternoon or other times when it is busy, Traffic coming towards Barnsley is queued right up to the bridge near Aldham house lane at Wombwell. If Sainsburys put a store where B&Q is, the situation will become twice as bad. Yes it will bring jobs to the area but at what expense? If you are spending in Sainsburys then you cant spend it in Tesco/Asda etc.
Bring back Netto :)

Reply Posted by Pleased on Friday October 11 2013 at 18:43
Very welcome news. Finally Barnsley is a Sainsbury's kinda town. Now all we need is a Waitrose. It's a shame it's not in S75, surely that's Sainsbury's territory. For many it will be no nearer than the ones in Wakefield.

I hope Homebase open up in town now we're loosing B&Q.

Reply Posted by STEVO on Friday October 11 2013 at 18:56
Not really much room in S75 for a Sainsburys , although you may see a Sainsburys "local" in Darton within the next five years ;)

Reply Posted by KymH on Sunday October 13 2013 at 09:12
I agree sainsburys would b better somewhere else but I think the b&q at stairfoot struggles because the one at cortonwood, I lived in wombwell and when I was doin my house up I went to the cortonwood b&q because the staff were a lot more friendly and helpful.

Reply Posted by meryl on Sunday October 13 2013 at 16:21
I am all for anything that brings sustainable jobs to Barnsley, to help local people back into employment.
My only concern is the same as many other people no doubt, the amount of traffic this store will create, at an already congested junction/roundabout.
It would be better if there could be an alternativeentrance/ exit route
But overall, looking forward to a Sainsburys and TU clothing in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by King Fred on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 19:19
Looks great. Hurry up and build it Sainsburys. I want to stock up on your own brand Chicken Masala. Yum!