Thousands Handed Out In Compensation

Friday October 4 2013

THOUSANDS of pounds in compensation is being handed out to residents.

Specialist surveying team Thomson Broadbent says settlements have ran into several thousands with the majority of claims down to noise and light pollution caused by vehicles and street lights living close to a Cudworth bypass.

The firm's managing director, James Broadbent, said between 200 and 250 claims have been made by residents in the Cudworth and Shafton area.

Claims range from £500 to £13,000, he said, with 49 properties so far having been successful in their claims.

"When I've presented the offers to the clients, pretty much without exception, they have been happy," he said.

According to Thomson Broadbent, residents are entitled to claim where their property has been reduced in value due to problems such as noise and pollution from public works.

Mr Broadbent said a lot of claims have been made in Plumpton Park and Bleak Avenue in Shafton as well as Queens Road and Beech Avenue in Cudworth.

One Plumpton Park resident, who wished not to be named, said a number of residents had been awarded sums between £10,000 to £14,000.

He said he was given money in July after making a claim through a chartered surveyor based in Macclesfield.

He said there was a hedge between the bypass and his house, but when the vegetation dies away during the winter months, lights from the road are a problem.

"They don't just get all the pollution from all the street lights, they get it from all the vehicles as well," he added.

A couple, who also live on the estate, said they had been awarded a 'five-figure sum' through the same surveyor.

They said they have to put up blackout blinds because of the lights.

A Barnsley Council spokesman said: "Barnsley Council can confirm it has received a number of compensation claims in relation to the Cudworth and West Green bypass scheme and to date has agreed 103 cases to affected residents.

"All claims are carefully assessed in accordance with the relevant statutory process and must meet a strict set of criteria in order to qualify for compensation."

Reply Posted by G on Friday October 4 2013 at 12:36
I have to put up blackout blinds because of the street lamp outside my house. Can I claim a 5 figure sum of compensation? *rolls eyes*

Reply Posted by fred on Friday October 4 2013 at 12:55
I have to put up blackout blinds because the sun rises every morning - can I claim ..... .lol

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday October 4 2013 at 13:09
we had to put up with a stupid ben bailey estate being built oposite us with new street lamps and the lights straight in our bedroom window not to mention having to wash our cars and windows twice a day and when penis heads have accidents on the a635 bypass because they have to get somewhere in 3 seconds our road gets blocked with traffic please can i have some compensation.

Reply Posted by tom on Friday October 4 2013 at 14:12
I don't own any property because it is overpriced and wages are poor. Can I have some free money, I'm not interested in the mortgage subsidy to prop up house prices and banks known as Help to Buy.

Reply Posted by Mel on Sunday October 6 2013 at 17:18
Can I have some free money - I own a semi and the dirty neighbours don't cut their grass and have done nothing to the upkeep for 10 years . Obviously in a state . I can't sell my house , who do I see about compensation ???

Reply Posted by F on Sunday October 6 2013 at 17:20
Wear sunglasses you a holes x

Reply Posted by Hannah on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 20:43
Hahaha you can't make this shit up lol me personally, I think money is the cause of all problems, and think that there is people who need that money more than you whiney ass bitches on here fml haha

Reply Posted by chuck on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 22:32
Lets make some more council employees redundant to pay out for trying to reduce traffic for the rest of us who live on pontefract/barnsley rd through Cudworth!!!

Reply Posted by mike on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 22:43
i live on the main road running through Lundwood lived here for 17 yrs and never saw a GIST lorry or NFT lorry now we have them day and night we have loads more traffic and noise and more pollution so where is our offer of compensation we are more effected than people that live near the bybass and we live on the after effect of all the traffic stood on pontefract road running through lundwood coming off the bypass ihas i write this the road ,noise. lories, are worse than ever before cant wat till xmas when gist have the lorries going 20 an hr and all there suppliers fetching stuff

Reply Posted by rick on Tuesday October 8 2013 at 22:57
Cudworth is a much quieter place because of the bypass, turning right out of any of the road off Barnsley/Pontefract Road is a lot easier these days. For the majority of the village the bypass has been very positive.

Reply Posted by cad on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 07:06
Turning into America with all compo claims.

Reply Posted by cad on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 07:06
Turning into America with all compo claims.