Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Dad Fears For Kids' Safety After Bus Service Is Axed

Thursday September 26 2013


We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley


A DAD fears his daughter and almost 30 other children could be at risk after a bus service was axed.

The dad, of Links View, said the 496 service which took his 11-year-old daughter and other children to Darton College from Staincross had ‘disappeared’ with no warning.

He's so concerned that he does not want to be named - because he fears his daughter could be at risk from strangers if they get to know she is walking to and from school, especially as the nights draw in.

"I got a call from her on Monday last week on her mobile and she said the bus didn't turn up," he said.

"It turned out there were 27 kids down there at the bus stop and they had just been left at the side of the road."

His wife went to the bus stop in her car, picked up as many of them as she could and took them to college.

In the meantime, the dad began making frantic phone calls to try to find out what had happened to the 496 bus run by Tates Travel.

He said: "I talked to just about everyone. Darton College were very concerned, our councillor Roy Miller and the local education authority who told me they don’t have to supply school buses because we live under a three-mile range."

The family was told that children could ‘walk down the hill’ to near the old California pub on Sackup Lane where they could catch another service - the 444 - but when they tried that the next day, the bus drove straight past.

The dad added: "My daughter would struggle to do that anyway because she has asthma."

Graham Mallinson, of Tates Travel, said the 496 was withdrawn due to low passenger numbers. "We did give 56 days' legal notice and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport received a copy of the cancellation notice but it appears they failed to convey that to the school," he said.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
11 Showing 11 comments

Reply Posted by AHR on Thursday September 26 2013 at 12:07
Not good enough !

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Thursday September 26 2013 at 14:39
"Graham Mallinson, of Tates Travel, said the 496 was withdrawn due to low passenger numbers."

Kids safety come before any profit, if only a hand full of youngsters were using the bus it was a hand full less walking home in the dark. Reinstate the service and show you just dont care about profit

Reply Posted by Newday on Thursday September 26 2013 at 15:03
I certainly agree Ackerman, the children's safety is paramount. Both my children go to Darton College and on two occasions within the last fortnight they have walked home to Mapplewell due to not been able to get on the bus and the 496 being withdrawn. The nights are drawing in and it is not safe for children to walk home.

Reply Posted by Adam on Thursday September 26 2013 at 20:40
I use to catch that bus way before any of these Goby year 7 caught it. As it happens I know a far bit about buses and why the route was cancelled. The 496 was cancelled due to poor loads. before the old year 11 left the bus got a standing load, but when they left the bus went out bloody half empty. And lets not forget that there are two buses operated by stagecoach Yorkshire the 444 and the 488. Did the father mention anything about that? No, so knock it on the head with the bitching it's life, And by the way, me and my mate have to walk to school and back each day.

Reply Posted by believer of bob on Saturday September 28 2013 at 19:10
seems like this is a job for Batman.....

Reply Posted by Bob on Sunday September 29 2013 at 14:04
Is this a school bus or just a regular service?
If it's just a regular service then how can they be held responsible for the safety of children?
Scenario for the people condemning the bus company. You have a Y11 child who you take to and from school every day. You also take 3 of their Y10 friends. At the end of Y11 there is no need for you to take your child. Do you continue to take their friends for another year? If not, why not? Are you not responsible for their safety? Thought not... and neither is this bus company. Some people need to get a grip and start taking responsibility for their own children rather then trying to palm it off on all and sundry. If you think your child is unsafe take them to school and back yourself, simple as. Don't whinge and whine because nobody is doing your job for you!

Reply Posted by AJP on Monday September 30 2013 at 20:19
I have 2 kids at Horizon school & one at infant school. I make it my business to look after my own kids & make sure they are taken to and picked up from school. All 3 kids have different start and finish times so the school run takes 40 mins at each end of the day. If I decided to use the school bus not only would it cost me £6 per wk but my eldest wouldn't get home until 5. He might be a yr11 but he is my child my responsibility.

Reply Posted by becki on Monday September 30 2013 at 20:21
Surely posting this on here is making more people aware that the bus isn't running meaning the children are more at risk? This hasnt been thought through by this concerned dad or anyone else at all

Reply Posted by g on Monday September 30 2013 at 20:25
whilst i agree children should be safe this is happening at most schools and to what ive seen of tates busses and drivers i think kids are safer walking my lads just left shafton and i used to pick him up and the number of tates busses that came out of there with that many kids on some of ems faces were pressed up against the windscreen and obviousley the driver couldnt see to his left and i reported it to police and to council but rto no avail and whilst it said in opening feature that roy miller is concerned he didnt want to know as well

Reply Posted by sarah on Monday September 30 2013 at 20:27
i used to take my 4 children 8 miles away to school one finished (yr11) i moved 2 to our nearest comp so still 1 left i take him and bring him home in the car as 2 busses takes nearly 1 and half hrs to get there and same back you cannot rely on the services as they come and go as they please moral of the story rely on yourself not everyone else.

Reply Posted by Mystery on Tuesday October 1 2013 at 19:55
If they have a car what's the issue. Its parents responsibility to get kids to school not bus operators to provide free transport. If as stated there is 2 other school buses (services beginning with 4 are school services) then there is a provision if they walk to a different stop. Simples!