Pot Of Cash Stands Idle

Thursday September 19 2013

A POT of cash waiting to be spent on community projects is standing idle - because a new Area Council has not decided how to share it out.

Central Area Council - a new ‘mini’ council which can carry out projects in Central Barnsley, Dodworth, Kingstone, Stairfoot and Worsbrough - has assigned less than £35,000 out of its budget but has more than £65,000 left to spend.

At the Central Area Council meeting last Monday, officer Gerry Green told members: "At this time of year I would expect about £60,000 of the total £100,000 to be committed but we're running at only £35,000. We need to focus on this over the next four to five weeks to play catch up."

Mr Green described the area council as ‘substantially behind schedule’. There were some projects involving highways and engineering services that were now on the cusp of required lead times for getting projects completed.

The area councils meet once every six weeks and some members said this was not enough.

Cllr Tom Sheard, representing Kingstone, said: "We must push on with the priorities, working alongside officers."

However, Central Area Council was told that its spending so far ‘compared favourably’ with other area councils.

Reply Posted by Taff Jenx on Thursday September 19 2013 at 16:29
pay some of the (disabled) peoples bedroom tax and the rest into the foodbanks !!!

Reply Posted by LV on Thursday September 19 2013 at 20:27
Work on the roads, I can see huge cracks forming in the roads on my street! Put some money into youth centres in the area to get teens off the streets. And do something done about the amount of litter left about, it looks like a wheelie bin's tipped over outside my door whenever it's windy!! Ought to look into replacing the old bins that are falling apart and are more like a wind tunnel, every time you put anything in the bin it flies out of the otherside!!

Reply Posted by LV on Tuesday September 24 2013 at 19:37
While I remember why don't you repave Church Lane outside Churchfields Close?? I've almost broken my toe twice when I've stubbed it walking along there!!!

Reply Posted by julie on Sunday March 30 2014 at 21:49
could donate some to the recovery hub which I run on Mondays and Wednesday for people who is in recovery with drugs and alcohol problems as I run this to encourage people to maintain themselves in recovery we do lots of things I get everyone to work as ateam and it builds there confiedence too so any money we could receive would be much appreciated thankyou

Reply Posted by julie on Sunday March 30 2014 at 21:49