Protesters Camp Out In Town Centre

Monday September 2 2013

PROTESTERS against the so-called 'bedroom tax' camped out in a town centre park.

The group set up camp in Sparrow Park, on the corner of Shambles Street and Summer Lane, last Saturday.

The group is angry at having money for a spare room deducted from their rent, causing a shortfall which they must make up - but many have been unable to do so.

Darren Glover, 47, of Spring Bank Close, Carlton, was at the site collecting names to sign their petition.

He said about 400 people had signed the petition since last Saturday, taking to total signatures up to about 6,000.

One woman from Athersley, who did not want to be named, said she has to pay £20.37 per week to make up the shortfall in her rent.

Many had left the site by Tuesday, but there were still four tents and people in the park on Friday.

Reply Posted by n.smith on Monday September 2 2013 at 11:42
if they got jobs then they wouldn't have to pay it...simple

Reply Posted by baz on Thursday September 5 2013 at 21:07
how ignorant... my mum has took on 2 young kids who aren't hers and they share a tiny room with 3 other people living in the house and she still has to pay 'bedroom tax' even though there are no spare rooms.

Reply Posted by Sue Jones on Monday September 2 2013 at 11:48
I'm sure that there was a few people in the park that started protesting for legitimate reasons but every time I went past all I saw was people drinking alcohol and on one occasion were actually fighting each other! That's not a protest that's just an excuse for getting pissed up and knocking seven bells out of each other!!

Reply Posted by Not protesting, just deviants on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 12:54
There was one woman who seemed to know why she was there, the others were extremely intoxicated (I would say drunk but I doubt it), Luckily Plumber street park was clear for a few days, guess they will head back there now.

Reply Posted by Unknown on Monday September 2 2013 at 11:55
I agree with that to some degree n.smith but what about people who are physically and mentally disabled who have to pay who have no option because they don't have the capacity to work is that fair to them saying go out and get a job? People are losing jobs times are hard but there are a lot of people who just refuse to work so they should be struck by it.

Reply Posted by Flapper on Monday September 2 2013 at 13:08
sparrow [PARK] thats where they all belong.

Reply Posted by Unknown2 on Monday September 2 2013 at 13:10
It is a reality check for some people. They have had it too easy the past few years with benefits and the free improvements on council accommodation. I believe the government are in the right applying this ‘Cut’ not a ‘Tax’ to these certain individuals. Employment is hard to get yes, but not hard to find!.... But how much effort are these people applying to this? Actually go out, get CV and career advice. It’s not hard. Why should I and the rest of the Working Tax payers pay for an extra bedroom these people have just so they can have family stay in it once every blue moon? It’s bad enough that the working public is already housing, feeding, and clothing these people. Why give them more luxuries. Benefits such be a emergency ‘Get out of jail free card’ not a life style choice.

Reply Posted by Unknown2 on Monday September 2 2013 at 13:11
Benefits should* ....

Reply Posted by Billy on Monday September 2 2013 at 14:43
If they have tents and houses surely they should pay double bedroom tax
Must have plenty money

Reply Posted by swampy on Monday September 2 2013 at 18:05
The must not be r8 int eard camping art in spuggy park, am daft as a brush n even ad nivver go in there.

Reply Posted by Flapper on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 08:23
Sparrow park home of the DOSSERS.

Reply Posted by Rch on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 08:42
When I'm going to work and earning my money to then be taxed 450 quid off it to pay for people not in jobs ect,then I see no reason why these people shouldn't pay this bedroom tax.i pay my own mortgage n go n earn my own money to av it taken off me only seems fair for u to pay that extra bit.

Reply Posted by Unknown2 on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 09:17
I agree with you completely Rch.

But the thing is they're not paying anything extra! They're having some of their allowance docked because they have too many bedrooms in the council house than what’s physically required.

These people have no idea what income tax is on a monthly wage.

Reply Posted by James villas on Tuesday September 3 2013 at 09:53
Flapper you really need to give us a visit at sparrow it's a place of beauty fantastic people in here

Reply Posted by Single parent on Thursday September 5 2013 at 21:08
I'm a working single mom with a disabled child and I pay full rent and council tax for my house, because I don't rely on handouts from the government and tax payers money :-)

Reply Posted by Eee on Thursday September 5 2013 at 21:56
If they like tents so much buy a massive one and save on bedroom tax, council tax, and save all there money for tennants super strength :-)

Reply Posted by !!!! on Thursday September 5 2013 at 22:37
People who get benefits for whatever reason and live in private rented houses have had the shortfall of rent to pay if living in a house with more rooms than your family needs ..