Grandmother Attacked In Her Own Home

Monday August 12 2013

Pam's injuries Pam's injuries

A GREAT grandmother is too scared to stay at her home after being smashed over the head with a brick while she laid in bed.

Pam Murphy, 69, said she awoke to find four balaclava-clad men in her bedroom - and had blood trickling down her face.

She was sleeping in her bed in the living room when she heard a bang and then a felt a blow to her head.

"I was scared to move," said Pam, of Manor Crescent, Grimethorpe.

"I felt the blood coming down my face and I thought they were going to kill me. I was that frightened.

"I'd say they're just four cowards. That's what I think. I was begging 'please, please don't hurt me' and I didn't know if they would or not."

Pam said they searched the house with one man demanding to know where her money was.

One intruder tried to take her safe, she said, but it was securely fastened to the floor.

Instead the group made off with her handbag but Pam said there was no money in it and her son found half of its contents strewn on a nearby field.

When the men had gone, she found a brick. Her living room window had also been smashed, leading Pam to believe that the brick had been thrown through the window and was then used to hit her on the head.

She suffered cuts on her eyebrow, ablack eye and bruising to her face.

She said her back door window had been smashed to gain entry and she had left her keys in the lock.

"After what's happened I stay here in the day time and stop at my son's at night," she said.

"I daren't come back home - I'm afraid of it happening again. I keep myself to myself.

"As far as I know I've got no enemies, I know a lot of people and I just pass the time of day with them. I don't know why I needed that."

Pam's family is now offering a reward of £5,000 for information about the attack.

Anyone who saw anything suspicious is urged to call police on 101 quoting incident number 177 of July 28. Alternatively the can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800555111.

Reply Posted by Tracy on Monday August 12 2013 at 10:59
Absolutely disgusting supposed to feel safe in your own home and bed, hope this poor woman gets over this ordeal .

Reply Posted by betts on Monday August 12 2013 at 11:16
There just the dregs and low life of this world.

Reply Posted by Tony pointo. on Monday August 12 2013 at 11:16
I have known this lady all my life and she is the sort that would help anybody. She has endured more than her share of bad times over recent years and this is a disgusting act committed on a vunerable old lady. I think its sad that the family have had to offer a large amount of money to catch these evil people . come on folks, someone out there knows something ! Do the right thing & pick up the phone. Please !!!!

Reply Posted by Kath on Monday August 12 2013 at 11:18
Thats discusting i wouldn't want to b alone after and am 34 so for a lady of her age i hope she will be ok and for the people who did this wants well i carn't say here makes me sick

Reply Posted by jan on Monday August 12 2013 at 11:33
this is disgusting, cowards they are, can only pick on defencless elderly people. .... oh n once again wab, not a nice advert you've put against this story. maybe you should stop with the advertising along side your stories

Reply Posted by Lynne Watkin on Monday August 12 2013 at 11:46
Absolute scummy low lifes! What is wrong with people?

Reply Posted by she she on Monday August 12 2013 at 12:20
bring back hanging too muc off this going on

Reply Posted by ET on Monday August 12 2013 at 12:56
And 5 million being spent on the new custodial suite at Barnsley Police Station with better conditions and mod cons to house such scum as these. What a sick society we live in with even sicker leaders!!

Reply Posted by Cathy on Monday August 12 2013 at 23:34
Four 'men' robbing an elderly lady in her own bed at night, what total utter low life cowards are they.
It beggers belief, who the hell do they think they are forcing themselves into her home demanding her money.
Surely they will be caught and they should be locked up for a very long time, but probably they'll all have a sob story and get off lightly. I certainly hope not.
I do not condone people taking the Law into their own hands and dishing out their own brand of justice but there's no wonder it happens when we read about such awful crimes as this.
Hope the victim gets well soon and can recover from this.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 19:20
Cathy, couldn't have put it better myself.
They will get off with community service, 150 hours apiece would be my bet.
Steady away cutting grass in the graveyard isn't it?
They'll be briefed by their "brief" to pile on the sob story instead of taking responsibility for their actions.
I'd have them digging drainage ditches by hand every weekend for a year and even then that doesn't go far enough.

Reply Posted by carl on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 00:55
it must have been terrifying for that poor lady to have to deal with and will take a long time for her to feel safe in her own home these ppl must be caught or handed in its disgusting and someone knows them when caught they should each get 12 lashes of the birch at Barnsley football ground 10 mins before kickoff the match would be a sell out and would be a warning to the other scum bags who do this kind of thing ??

Reply Posted by Peter H on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 07:41
I can't believe this happened in Barnsley (area) the whole place is going to hell in a handcart. Get well soon love

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 11:24
WAB why has my posts been deleted. It was not straight to the point. We are talking about a 69 year old lady been attacked in her own home by four Morans.

Let the people of Barnsley express there views. censorship at local level in community's what next shame on you.

Reply Posted by WAB on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 11:31
Apologies for that, Swifty, but one of our other moderators thought that your choice of language was inappropriate. We often get moaned at for letting bad language go and people then complain that some youngsters read the page so we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. Personally, I'd have approved your comment as I didn't think it was unacceptable.

Reply Posted by Pryde on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 12:11
Seems a bit silly to advertise the fact that she won't be in at night when these 4 masked robbers/burglars will know where the house is and now know that it will be empty

Reply Posted by Swifty on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 17:29
WAB thank you for your reply. Language is sometimes used to express a feeling. Whatever this lady went through can not express the people's feelings towards these scum bags.

For the benifit of the readers that did not see my comment basically. I was appealing to the genuine hard men of Grimethorpe with a mother or grandmother to unite and catch these scum bags and deal with them that they only know.

Or a least take them to the Police and remove them from there community forever.

The sort of crime is an exemption to the norm and how it's dealt with will be supported by thousands of people from Grimethorpe and Barnsley.

Reply Posted by BarnsleyFred on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 08:34
About time they had a village lynching... Grimethorpe residents should find them and drown them in the Dell...

Reply Posted by Lynda Procter on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 08:44
I'm so shocked that people can do such a nasty thing to the elderly people I hope they are caught and rot in hell. Sending my love to pam and hope she recovers soon x

Reply Posted by kazzy on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 16:19
Omg it gets worse :(

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 18:11
I dont care what anyone says.
Two wrongs do make a right.
Hang them