Council Clamps Down On Town's Litter Droppers

Thursday August 8 2013

Council clamps down Council clamps down

BARNSLEY Council has clamped down on people who drop litter - and have issued 33 fixed penalty notices.

Cllr Roy Miller said: "We're serious about making Barnsley a cleaner, greener and safer place. Litter is a highly visible blight on our local environment, and the council deals with hundreds of complaints every year about it."

The council's Community Safety and Enforcement Service handed out the penalties and in total, over the three days, just 28 fewer notices were issued than in the entire financial year of 2012/13.

While the majority of fixed penalty notices were issued in the town centre, notices were also issued in Grimethorpe, Old Town and Cudworth.

Cllr Miller added: "Litter can deter investment and it makes our town look run down and uncared for. It also costs the council tax payers of Barnsley a fortune to clear off our streets every year.

"In these times of reduced council spending, due to government cuts, the council can ill afford the staggering £1million it costs to pick up litter and clean graffiti across the borough."

If you've witnessed incidents of littering, you're urged to call 01226 772468.

Reply Posted by Mick on Thursday August 8 2013 at 14:53
Definitely approve of this, they should issue a few hundred more especially when you see the amount of cigarette ends under every bench. Maybe they could use some of the revenue to invest in something more hi-tec than those silly grabbers that they walk around with picking up tiny bits of paper. Surely petrol powered vacs would be more useful, like garden leaf vacs.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Thursday August 8 2013 at 18:21
went to wombwell today and it was like walking on a carpet of tab ends, dont the council sweep up no more????

Reply Posted by flapper on Thursday August 8 2013 at 20:20
Once again,bone idle,dirty,lazy pigs expect the council to pick up after them. I saw a family have a picnic, they just walked off and left their rubbish on the grass!!! Its time folk got some self respect and respected others. Dirty swines

Reply Posted by spen on Thursday August 8 2013 at 22:47
Its bad in grimey, i think every1 should get a fine 4 litterin.. Every1 should sweep n tidy outside they own house takes 10 minuits a day n fliggin dog crap ITS FILTH

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday August 8 2013 at 23:33
And what about spot fines for businesses
who leave there crap to float about the streets

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 9 2013 at 10:41
spen, your right about grimey, only problem fining the ones that litter in Grimey is that the majority doing it don't work, my next door neighbour walks out of his with a bag of crisps, finishes them off and just chucks his packet on the floor, They have no respect for the village they live in.

Reply Posted by flapper on Friday August 9 2013 at 16:26
They,d rake in a fortune just by catching dirty dog owners who walk down the little pathway to brierley school. It stinks to high heaven,the little kids run in it....what a dirty despicable lot....most of them must live on the housing estate and the path would help ease traffic on that estate,but its so bad it makes you sick. I won't walk down it,hence I park on folk's doorstep. Again disrespect full dirty swines yuk.

Reply Posted by spen on Friday August 16 2013 at 18:49
get di sen a bath smelly old ****

Reply Posted by spen on Friday August 9 2013 at 20:45
Ye bt r kids walk in it then they get a bollockin, shud make community earn there dole by pickin up litter

Reply Posted by flapper on Friday August 9 2013 at 21:17
I agree spent,but would,t it be great if folk just looked after their own crap. I don't own a dog simply because I don't want to pick crap up. If folk do own a dog the craps part of ownership. Other folk r,not here to pick crap up left by other dirty swines. But yes,make able bodies claiming unearned money do summit to deserve.....well,wrong word......keep the cash they are given. Wish some one would give me abit more on top of my hard earned....and I leave no rubbish around.

Reply Posted by cudworth john on Saturday August 10 2013 at 14:53
who talk a load of shite ******* grimey do gooders make me puke.

Reply Posted by spen on Friday August 9 2013 at 22:06
Thats reason id neva own a dog, me n mi mum always keep outside our houses nice n clean,, giv it half an hr n its a discrace agen... Folk sit on there back sides all day in garden so 10 minuites wudnt hurt them

Reply Posted by Peter H on Saturday August 10 2013 at 09:32
The area around Park Grove, Hawthorne St & Longcar Lane are like a rubbish tip when kids are at school, when they are off there's hardly any

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday August 10 2013 at 13:08
Litter,s bad,but generally it don't stick to your shoe and stink though. But yes peter h....no ones showing the kids values.

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday August 10 2013 at 16:29
Council should start by getting the message over to their own employees (and contractors). If you want to see gross littering, take notice of the bin men or the mess the Berneslai Homes team leave behind.

Reply Posted by A on Sunday August 11 2013 at 11:27
We rang dump site to take a bed in husbands van. They said the van was too high. Even tho it fits under the barrier !! Told me to ring a van from chronicle. That would cost me. Why couldn't our van take it. Stupid council No wonder people do stuff. I didn't dump it tho.

Reply Posted by A on Sunday August 11 2013 at 14:34
Oooooh. On my road. Some one has dumped a sofa. The scruffy lazy gifts. The sofa is filthy Just shows they are scrubbers

Reply Posted by lol on Sunday August 11 2013 at 15:14
FLAPPERS FRONT GARDEN. HA HA HA HA

Reply Posted by Sharon T on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 18:25
Many, many years ago before I grew a brain I had this logic that if I dropped litter in the street it kept someone in a job. Of course I was just a kid then and I don't let my kids drop rubbish anywhere. The woods I walk through to school is full of litter (including the odd condom) People dump the overflow from their bins down there when the bin men refuse to take it. Even piles of newspapers end up down there that someone got paid to deliver but at least most of the litter is biodegradable.

Reply Posted by Eeebobit on Thursday August 15 2013 at 22:14
I once got a spot fine for flicking my last cheesy wotsit to a stray dog as I was stuck in traffic on burton road. Police thought it was a tab end :-(

Reply Posted by stan on Thursday August 15 2013 at 23:04
they could make a bob or two just watching them outside and inside hospital grounds dropping their tab ends

Reply Posted by top seo guys on Friday October 25 2013 at 15:02
iUH5yK Awesome article post.Thanks Again. Awesome.