Man Ordered To Repay Ill-Gotten Gains

Wednesday August 7 2013

Man ordered to repay vast sum of money Man ordered to repay vast sum of money

A 45-YEAR-OLD cannabis producer has been given until January to repay more than £340,000 - or face an additional three years in jail.

Matthew Whitehead, of Wigtwizzle Barn, Bolsterstone, was sentenced to three years and nine months in prison in August 2011 after plants with an estimated street value of £31,000 were discovered at a property he owned in Cawthorne.

A proceeds of crime investigation found Whitehead made £343,738.43 from the venture and, following a hearing at Doncaster Crown Court, he must repay the sum within six months or risk having his sentence almost doubled.

Graham Wragg, manager of South Yorkshire Police's economic crime unit, said: "The cultivation, use of and after effects of drugs continues to be a problem for police forces and society in general.

"Matthew Whitehead was obviously making a substantial profit from this enterprise, and it's only right that he should be made to pay back his profits.

"I hope this will send out a warning message to anyone involved or contemplating committing crimes of this nature."

Whitehead was arrested in November 2010 at the Cawthorne property, which contained 22 fully-grown cannabis plants and evidence of a harvested crop.

He pleaded guilty to the production of cannabis in 2011 and a proceeds of crime act confiscation was set by the judge to investigate his finances.

Reply Posted by kip on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 10:55
Good to hear that another one of the many,who fund their lavish life style from ill gotten gains as been brought to book.I hope they strip his family of all the luxuries they have gained.The things that honest people have to work for.

Reply Posted by Sol on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:25
Who is he meant to be paying his profits back to exactly? All those people who he sold it to? The police? The government? Are they going to make him burn the money...?

Reply Posted by beep beep on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 20:08
The money seized will go to a fund which pays for compensation and such like. It does not go to the Police or the government but victims of crime.

Reply Posted by Jmeh on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:26
Repay who? They talking like he owes the government something...Repay is certainly the wrong word to describe this. Also threatening to double his sentance if he doesnt pay an obseen amount of cash...thats crazy. All for 22 plants doesnt seem worth it. I know ppl who grow alot more and got a hell of lot less when they got caught, this whole thing stinks

Reply Posted by beep beep on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 20:10
His original sentence would have been on the proviso that he coughed up the money he has made by being a drug dealer and cultivator. If he fails to pay by whatever means ie selling off properties then he stays in prison. Seems fair to me.

Its not just a few plants if he has that much money.

Reply Posted by Peterc on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 15:01
I agree with "Kip' for sure there will have been lots of victims from this criminal. As for what happens to the money? I googled it and quote:
All of the money seized from criminals is divided into three parts, all of which are aimed at tackling crime and anti-social behaviour at a local, regional and national level.

The Home Office receives a share to tackle crime and disorder nationally.

The local criminal justice system including the CPS, police, courts, probation and prisons receive a share to tackle crime locally.

But most importantly, the local community can now also receive a share through Community Cashback.

Community Cashback is a new scheme in England and Wales which gives local people a say in how £4 million of recovered criminal assets (for example confiscated cash or property) should be spent in their communities.

For more on Community Cashback or to nominate a project to receive funds please visit the Criminal Justice Service website. Hope that information helps you law abiding good Barnsley folks.

Reply Posted by aidan on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 17:43
i'd do the time, free food, free tv, comp, xbox, healthcare, education, and the chance to do university degrees for nothing, **** i'd tell whoever to hide the money, and come out of prison with a degree in some form of high paying job. when you think about it it's well worth it! HELL! i might go rob a bank for that chance, i could save myself a good £50,000 on living expenses and education!

Reply Posted by kip on Thursday August 8 2013 at 11:04
Well aidan,what can I say to the obnoxious statement you have given.I am sure that the family that as and are suffering from sons and daughters being addictive to this drug are grateful to you (I THINK NOT ) You stupid idiotic moron !!!!!!

Reply Posted by Teacher on Thursday August 8 2013 at 15:15
Aiden You could say yourself the money for education anyway. Its wasted. Who comes out of prison with a Degree?
im sure that will look cracking on your CV, Degree in horticulture at Doncaster prison university campus for morons and offenders. I don't know any Ex-cons that have a high paid job. Fact that the vast majority of employers check your history now is a good indication that a life of crime certainly doesn't pay!

Has anyone perhaps thought that he might have grown 31 plants every 12 weeks for the last 5+ years and his massive farm house in Bolsterstone, flash cars and abundance of used cash wasn't from his 'day' job.

I think what's forgot to be mentioned here is....pay the £350k or go to prison and the police will SEIZE everything

Reply Posted by ah ah on Friday August 9 2013 at 08:39
MUST HAVE GOT THE GREEN FINGER BUG.

Reply Posted by Ex addict on Saturday August 10 2013 at 13:02
Just to clarify, I am an ex heroin addict, addicted for 10 years in which time I spent at least, 3 years at different periods, in jail. II studied maths,English, hairdressing and business studies, all which I should have took at school but as I was never there, and being as many would describe me "a tare away" didn't do. I did health and safety ,first aid ,welfare to work certificates. Even when I was released I never used any of it to start with, but now 13 years on and 3.5 year clean I run my own hairdressing and company including 2 shops,and employing 12 people. So this is to prove that free education in jail DOES WORK and to be quiet honest, once you've got the first 2 week out the way, prison is a pleasant experience and I had the time of my life, but as I say, that is my experience and opinion.

Reply Posted by Reality check on Sunday August 11 2013 at 17:05
Listen to you all with your perfect life and perfect families who have never broke the law. I bet none of ou can say that their family is perfect. Drugs are wrong yes but all you people just thrive on slating people on here. Sad people !!!

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 08:34
I bet Mr reality check is related to the guy who's getting sent down...tell him not to drop the soap mate!!

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday August 22 2013 at 07:29