Work Set To Start On Hospital's New Maternity Suite

Thursday June 20 2013

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

WORK on Barnsley Hospital's state-of-the-art facility for soon-to-be mums is set to start next month.

Health bosses at the hospital have appointed Doncaster Road-based building firm CD Potter and Sons as the main contractor for a new £1.2million birthing suite.

The funding's come from a Department of Health grant, which gave three South Yorkshire hospitals a share of £25million to upgrade their maternity services.

"The facilities will be fantastic," said John Rhodes, the hospital's head of projects. "The improvements will help to bring the birthing environment up to the very high standard of clinical care that women in our maternity unit already receive."

The new suite will feature three birthing pools, seven delivery suites equipped en-suite facilities and a room to serve as a special suite for bereaved parents.

Work is due to start in July and the expected finish date is January 2014.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:34
Thats very good to hear, when i had my 3rd child 2 years ago the birthing suit was downright dismal, the staff were fantastic as always though and i think this will boost the staff moral as a whole and in turn make the whole care package better

Reply Posted by Pippa on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:36
I am due to give birth in September - will the maternity ward be a building site?

Reply Posted by Barnsley Hospital on Friday June 21 2013 at 13:35
Hi Pippa, to reassure you, while the work is being carried out, the labour suite will be based on Ward 12 at the hospital, which will be fully equipped and suitable for this use.

Reply Posted by Pippa on Monday June 24 2013 at 13:05
Thanks for getting back to me, thats put my mind at rest.

Reply Posted by G on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:40
Good! I found the maternity wards to be a dark, dingy, oppressive place and the main thing that concerned me about giving birth was being stuck in there for days on end. Plus there was only one birthing pool that had been out of order for months.

Reply Posted by ange on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:46
Will it be shocking then in November and will any of the birthing pools be sorted by then, don't much fancy it looking a mess while I'm in there won't make it much of a minimum stress area if there is building work going on

Reply Posted by karen on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:53
about time i had my other 3 children there and couldnt wait to get out im due my 4th child on 7th jan so hope its finished by then

Reply Posted by Hannah on Thursday June 20 2013 at 13:00
Due september also! Carnt believe its going to be like a building site, should be fun :-(

Reply Posted by Katie on Thursday June 20 2013 at 13:06
I had my 1st child at Barnsley and they were fantastic but like others it is due an upgrade! But you can't win with some people, It won't be like a building site, it's a hospital and still have to have the hygiene etc and follow the protocols! Just be thankful you'll be in good hands, and at the end you will be getting the best gift ever! X

Reply Posted by Nicola on Thursday June 20 2013 at 13:12
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Thursday June 20 2013 at 13:21
They staff was awfull to me , my baby arrived early and was taken to scbu , she was also born with heart problems and had to have 2 lots of heart ops , I used to cry my self to sleep whilst in hospital and the nurse in question would shout at me

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday June 22 2013 at 22:09
I wouldn't let Barnsley hospital give me a paracetamol. It's shambolic and a new building isn't gong to change anything. That's why we elected to have our son at Jessops in Sheffield, a proper hospital with proper staff !!!!!

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday June 23 2013 at 13:04
Freddy, freddy, knocking the town again are we?
Why not bugger off and live in Sheffield then?

Reply Posted by GratefulMum on Sunday June 23 2013 at 12:55
Can't fault them at all. If it wasn't for them, I would have lost my son. Care on SCBU and ANDU was faultless. Will be nice for the wards to have an upgrade. Hopefully next time, we'll be able to use the birthing pool

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday June 23 2013 at 18:51
Stevo, not the town, just the hospital ! and with goods reason. I was left blind in one eye through their negligence !!!

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday June 23 2013 at 19:54
bloody hell!
no wonder you are apprehensive then.

Reply Posted by Mrs A on Wednesday January 1 2014 at 19:32
Can i just say when asked yesterday (31st DEC) if it would be open for my due date(20th march) the midwife said she doubts it so for people due before or around the same time dont get your hopes up too much. The ward and staff in general are great and their care is brilliant just for those hoping to be on a new ward for thier labor it prob wont be till after april...

Reply Posted by mrs w on Friday March 7 2014 at 06:47
Is the new labour suite open yet? Due in a few weeks and can't find much information...

Reply Posted by Claire on Friday April 18 2014 at 00:30
I'm due to have my baby at the end of May but can't find any details to show whether the new facilities will be available by then - although temporary the antenatal unit staff have been great so far!

Reply Posted by Tracey on Wednesday May 7 2014 at 21:15
I was informed yesterday at the hospital that the new suit is due to open on 17th of May! Hope it's true I'm due the 29th

Reply Posted by Kelly on Sunday May 18 2014 at 00:39
Does anyone know if the new suite is open yet?