Knighted Council Leader Gives Thanks

Wednesday June 19 2013

Steve Houghton Steve Houghton

SIR Steve Houghton has thanked everyone he has worked with over many years following news of his knighthood in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

Responding to the announcement, Cllr Houghton said: "I'm very honoured, privileged and proud to have been given the award.

"For me it is as much recognition of all we are doing in Barnsley as it is anything I have achieved.

"I want to thank those who nominated me and those who gave the honour, but above all thank all those people I have worked with in Barnsley and local government over many years who have helped to make this possible."

Fellow Cudworth ward councillor and former Barnsley mayor Charlie Wraith has also been appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for public service and services to the community in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Grim on Monday June 17 2013 at 11:17
What a disgrace. Barnsley is a downtrodden, dirty, unsuccessful hovel of a town. The council is badly run and the councillors including this muppet are overpaid.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Monday June 17 2013 at 11:29
What have you achieved Mr Houghton?
A large paypacket, a goldplated pension, 30 odd grand a year in expenses doesn't really warrant acheievement to me not in terms of what your job should actually entail.

Being head of an expensive failing council, knocking down perfectly good buildings 5 years after they were built, almost losing cash reserves in the icelandic banking crash, failing to regenerate the area you are in charge of, promising a new market for 10 years plus but failing to deliver. Failing to deliver attract any jobs to the area and leaving meaining we need 32,000 jobs te reach the national average, Failing to attract business to the area despite being smack bang in the middle of the country and A1 Allowing the roads and infrastructure to become third world, not sticking up for your residents r.e. the bedroom tax, then having your organisation summon record numbers to court for pounds in arrears. Spending more on consultants than any other council in south yorkshire, and being on the same par as leeds in west yorkshire, The A61 shambles, spending 70 grand a year on a marketing manager above the national median when there are frontline cuts, getting rid of your chief executive because he doesn't agree on cuts, then appointing a more expensive chief exec who was very unpopular with her customers in her last job. Building schools on dual carriageways, allowing developers to stomp all over our greenbelt, I could go on and on and on, these are your crimes (sorry achievements Steve.
If ever there was an example as to how the honour list means nothing, look to the leader of our council, I will never call you sir you have earned nothing.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Monday June 17 2013 at 11:35
When was the last time her maj had a walk around our splendid town by the way?

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 11:57
I wholeheartedly concur Guesty.
You have summed up everything I would have written.

Now he has his new title lets hope he runs off into the sunset with his gold plated, NO diamond encrusted PENSION and lets someone else who has our towns interests FIRST.
Of course this will never happen, one of his cronies will get the top job as soon as he buggers off.

Reply Posted by c on Monday June 17 2013 at 14:21
70's & i don't think she bothered to get out the car, probably worried she'd fall down a pot hole or trip over a raised paving slab!

Reply Posted by Mb on Monday June 17 2013 at 11:55
Invite the queen to barnsley for a cup of tea in one of the rotten cafes in town and watch all the people not working walk by. Then take her to see all the busy shops we have (2 poundlands) cos people have no money. Let her see the state of barnsley and ask her again does he deserve a knighthood?

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 12:00
Correct Mb.

I was in town yesterday and found myself singing the Specials song - Ghost Town,didnt realise the significance until my wife asked me what I was singing.

Even the scratters shops, Primark, TKMaxx and sports direct were empty.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Monday June 17 2013 at 12:20
Thought you didn't set foot in Barnsley Town Centre as it was beneath your lofty perch, so I take it that you must also have been in the 'scratters shops' to realise that they were empty - however setting all that aside and seen as you're a budding politician, what's your strategy to get the town centre redeveloped and to generally to reduce the levels of unemployment in the borough. Imagine I'm a floating voter - sell it to me.

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:04
HAD to go into town for some suntan stuff for my impending holiday, I wont tell you where I am going naturally.
No I didn't go in any of said scratters shops, didn't have to.
I did walk round the white elephant called the Alhambra as I haven't been in there for years and was staggered by all the shops that have changed since the last time I went in.

I am also beginning to think that you and Grim are one and the same.

The first rule in politics is to know how to avoid questions and to change direction and "spin" ones way out of a tricky situation.

I don't have all the answers i'm afraid, wish i did though.

You are NOT a floating voter you WILL vote Labour just like the majority of the towns population.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:44
Oh no no I get the impression that Grim is from the Dearne Valley area where as I, clearly am not.
However, politicians should give be able to answer simple straight forward questions if they are critisicing those currently tasked with undertaking the job. If the town centre is so bad because of the way that the Council run it - how would you do it differently? Come on nows your chance to put right the wrongs of the last ten years and draw back those shoppers like you that have deserted the town for a souless mall by a motorway.
p.s. whisper it quietly but I don't think the majority of Barnsley people vote Labour it's just that the electoral system puts Labour in power. I'm sure there's more than 50% of those eligable to vote don't actually bother but that another story.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:47
I'm not sure why Stevo get such a hard wrap, he only makes observations, same as me he doesn't claim to have the answers, unlike the ones he criticises who do make the claims and get paid bloody good money for it.
We keep being told by public sector bodies that to get the best you need to pay the money, our town pays the money and gets nowt so the questions we ask are why are we paying the money.
It's the whole nature of the unnaccountibility that the likes of Steve Houghton and his cronies that is my biggest bugbear, they don't have to achieve anything to stay in office and vote themselves another payrise/final salary scheme/ pension increase.

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:58
Yup, i wear my heart o my sleeve, am very forthright and opinionated in my views.
I am an average worker in an under average town, i despair at what has happened to our town over the last 20 years or so.
Labour have had long enough to get it right and they haven't, now is the time for someone else to come in and have a go, surely they cannot be any worse than what we have at present?

The Labour buffoons in their recently renovated municipal ivory tower and their back slapping comrades have had it far too good for far too long as far as i am concerned.

Houghton receiving his new title has only compounded my views on the local Labour party and the party in general.

If he (Houghton) had got 50,000 more jobs into the area then i would have been more than happy for him to receive said title, but he hasn't and i will say this yet again:

The (Labour) have done NOTHING for this town, kick them out NOW!

Reply Posted by Grim on Monday June 17 2013 at 15:37
Really is that you think Red? Amused.com.............

Reply Posted by STEVO on Monday June 17 2013 at 17:00
Ok so you have tried to draw me out yet again, so here's my view of how to make the town better, well sort of, again i am an average worker in an under average town and do NOT have all the answers....

Firstly, the mall by the motorway, personally i would only go to said mall as i can be there and back in an hour and said mall caters for everything that i need.

Town centre, the reason i don't go into town is due to the smackrats begging for money and the alcoholics that shout and swear at anyone that passes by their perches on the mushroom, peel street toilets and the plinth.
Why we put up with this i do not know, surely a better police presence and giving said alchos and smackrats a notice to leave town order would encourage more people into the town.
Don't underestimate the scare factor of these people either, there have been noted cases of these "people" mugging shoppers for money to buy drugs.
A friend of mine was threatened with a knife last year and he was robbed for £4.80, luckily the police managed to catch the muggers, three of them Heroin addicts by the way, and their sentence? You guessed it community service 100 hours each.
Same goes for the alcoholics that congregate in the town centre, they are extremely scary and do get aggressive on occasion.

The town centre is a plethora of hideous 70's buildings, although if anyone cared to look there is some wonderful architecture, the Arcade being a prime example of Victorian splendour.
To attract new businesses into town you have to have competitive rate structures.
When i was made redundant a couple of years ago i looked into getting a shop in the arcade and the rents were obscene, therefore the project was scrapped with immediate effect.
Parking rates in the town are also too expensive, i had the misfortune of parking for a full day a couple of weeks ago (as i had a solicitors appointment) and it was duly noted that the parking rates were more expensive than central Manchester!
Yes i know that parking is free on weekends, but needs to be free all the time in my opinion.
My mate also has a shop in the arcade and you would weep if you knew what he paid every week.
There are also a lack of "specialist" shops in town, which deters people if they cant get the "specialist" stuff they need they go to Meadowhall or Leeds.

Shoe shops are prime example, in the 70's/80's there was a shoe shop on every corner, apart from the clarks shop i can think of only one more that sells shoes, cant remember the name though.

The Alhambra, well as i said earlier the amount of different shops that have come and gone over the years is truly staggering, i would suggest that the reason for all the chopping and changing was mainly due to high rents.

Good to know that when / if the town centre is finally revamped Debenhams are on board, look at the new trinity walk in wakefield and Debenhams sits nicely.

I doubt we will ever see the town centre revamped in our life time though.

The high street is also dying due to internet shopping, this will only get worse.

So to sum up, make the rates competitive and make the parking free at all times, will never happen though as BMBC will want to hang onto their cash cow.

Back to BMBC, they have promised us a multi screen cinema, a new markets complex, brand new town centre, halo and Tuscan village to name but a few.
They have had millions in grants and EU aid and what do we have to show for it?
A revamped Civic at that went millions over budget and a place that is rarely used.
Oh and a new bus station, i have never been in it to be fair so cannot comment on that one.

Jobs, as we both know the mainstay of the jobs in our town in the past were the pits.
Since some of the pits closed 20 years ago many of the former pit communities have failed to shake off the shackles of the past and many have been decimated and some destroyed, Grimethorpe, Goldthorpe and woolley being prime examples.
Out of the above three Goldthorpe has fared worst.

Of course there are an inherent lack of jobs in the town, we need thirty odd thousand to bring us in line with the national average, there ARE jobs out there though, if you want minimum wage.

As i have stated on many previous occasions, the majority of the jobs we now have in town are minimum wage via employment agencies which undoubtedly leaves families on the breadline and needing help via the Tax Credits system.

Migrant workers, one of my favourite topics..
Statistics do not lie, some 40% of the jobs available in the last two years have gone to migrant workers.
I work with a Spanish lad who has been in the uk for over 10 years and not only is he my best mate but speaks better English than i do!
As for the Eastern Europeans, yes i have given them a bit of stick in my various posts and just to re-iterate yet again, the majority of them are hard working, rarely have anytime off and for the most part try and integrate into British society.
We have regular nights out with the work lads and some of the polish lads come out with us all the time.
However, there are a lot of eastern Europeans that will not and do not want to integrate and obviously this is going to cause tensions.

Again, there is a workplace called symphony in Grimethorpe called Symphony who only employ eastern Europeans 92% at last count.
Tell me how can this be good for the local economy and local populous in particular when they cannot "compete" for jobs when one place of work only employs eastern European workers?

It has also been suggested that i am "racist" in my views toward eastern European migrant workers, again i re-iterate, The majority of the Eastern European Migrant workers are white European so how on earth could anything said about them be construed as "racist".
This is political correctness gone absolutely mad, a damning indictment of todays society when one is afraid to air ones views for the fears of being labelled "racist".
An absolute load of old codswhallop, they are exactly the same as us the only difference being that they speak a different language.

Immigration has had a massive impact on schools, hospitals, doctors dentists and housing whether we like it or not.

With the impending influx of Bulgarians and Romanians this situation is only going to get a lot worse.

One thing i cannot comprehend is BMBC's lack of vision, we have hundreds of acres of former brownfield sites which, in most cases would be absolutely fantastic for new employers to develop, the land around Grimethorpe being prime example.
It seems BMBC would rather build a nature reserve than attract employers onto these brownfield sites which have excellent M1/A1 links.
EU grants are readily available to revamp these sites too so i am at a loss as to why they are not developed to their full potential.

We have a local populous which are for the most part, ready willing and able to work, we just need the employers.

Housing/ lack of/ delete whichever you feel applicable...

Again BMBC tell us that we "need" 27,000 new homes by 2030, the majority of which will be built on GREEN BELT sites.
Do we really need these houses?
Who will be the main recipients of said houses?

NO we do not need these houses and the main recipients will be people from outside the area who will commute back to leeds/wakefield/Sheffield/Huddersfield etc etc.

People in Barnsley cannot afford these new houses on the minimum wage.
I am sure the "developers" will come out with the old " affordable" housing rubbish when they try and schmooze BMBC.
a £100,000 house is not affordable housing.

You only have to look at current housing projects, and Woolley Grange in particular, there are LOADS of houses still unsold because people just can not afford them.

BMBC also tell us that there will be no change to road or school infrastructure to accommodate the people and children (from outside the area) who move into these homes.

stevo over and out for now.

Reply Posted by Grim on Monday June 17 2013 at 17:43
Stevo I actually agree with quite a lot of your remarks except for the racial stuff.

I actually think that High street shopping will eventually die off and most shopping will take place in malls or over the internet. For man of the reasons you quote.

Housing in Barnsley is a farce. They are either over priced look at Dodworth and Manvers just outside Wombwell. Or they are tiny and built on greenfield sites instead of the brownfield sites. Plus this stupid building of huge industrial units that never let......

Education is the major problem within the area and the fact that many think of it as optional instead of necessary. Schools are badly run and discipline is poor.

Spending by the council is also stupid at every turn from the town hall to sculptures to yet another bus station or clocks and so on.

However the main problem is the small group who vote, vote Labour into the council again and again. The worst councils in the country are all run by Labour.

So Stevo we are not so far apart in out thinking.

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 17:44
Speak English please Grim.

And what is it that hath caused so much hilarity pray tell?

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 18:09
One thing that i did fail to mention in my long rambling post was the brownfield sites in Goldthorpe.
This is a PRIME development location, near to both the A1 and M1 it seems that BMBC has designated Goldthorpe and the surrounding areas as past caring about.

As for the "racial" issue there is NO racial issue, they are exactly the same as us, white European, they just speak a different language.

It is the politically correct, namby pambies that make speaking about anyone from a different country a racial issue.
The eastern Europeans do it themselves too, tell them something they don't want to hear then we are labelled racist, load of crap!
I have seen this first hand at my place of work on several occasions.

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday June 17 2013 at 12:10
I wouldn't describe our town as a hovel like the 1st comment, but it is ridiculous that Houghton is rewarded in this way. Our town has some of the words education achievements in the country; child protection services criticised by Ofsted; the roads are a disgrace (potholes & 2yrs to build a bus lane near wickes?) . The tens of millions that have flowed through the councils hands over the years in coalfield regeneration money, european money, inflation busting council tax rises etc are nowhere to be seen. And now he blames all our problems on the current govt nd thinks a multimillion pound fountain & museum will transform the town. I for one hope he leaves to take up a nice job in the house of Lords.

Reply Posted by Grim on Monday June 17 2013 at 15:41
If not a hovel then how would you describe it?

Empty shops, graffiti, overflowing rubbish bins and cig ends everywhere, tatty buildings, potholed roads then moving outwards towards run down council estates.

Terrible schools, no investment and don't get started about the town hall fiasco...

Reply Posted by AHR on Monday June 17 2013 at 12:34
Residing over cuts, a Wolf in Sheeps clothing, yes so deserving. I think not !

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday June 17 2013 at 12:57
Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

I'm speechless.

This must surely be the first time that anyone has been knighted for being a complete and utter failure.

It really is unbelievable and is a 'slap in the face' for all decent hard working Barnsley people.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:42
Cheer up Brian, Robert Mugabe got a Knighthood too once, so I suppose we should count ourselves lucky

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:22
Absolutely pathetic.This man should be in court for fraudulently claiming money for a job he has not done(which is lead BMBC) Instead he gets knighted. May be now he should go the the House of Lords. He will fit in well there as its already full of criminals tax dodges and liars. Can anyone please tell me which muppets actually nominated him in the first place?

Reply Posted by AbeFromPlevna on Monday June 17 2013 at 13:55
For £176,000 plus £35,000+ a year, i'd sit on my arse, do nothing and take the plaudits an all.......Nice work if you can get away with it.

Knighted for killing a town, beyond belief

RESIGN NOW!!! and take the rest of the 63 leeches with you.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Monday June 17 2013 at 16:35
if you've nothing better to do than slag our wonderful town off all the time then why don't you move? and whats up wi tkmaxx stevo its oreight!

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 17:14
Lyndon, TKMAXX is HORRIBLE!
Went in with the wife yesterday and lasted about 20 seconds!

First time I've been in it for years and don't honestly think i have ever bought anything from there.

Reply Posted by around and around we go on Monday June 17 2013 at 16:43
If you want to know the nature of Houghton and his Cronies just look at the past few weeks headlines....Houghton has to push the Mayoral stretch limo he just happened to have borrowed to attend a Charity function due to snow !.....Council aggressively chases 400 of the the poor and disabled for bedroom Tax and Rent arrears.....Salary increases for Councillors (none of whom have a qualification for the job ) and increase in "expenses " allowance.New Labour ? Tory Light ?

Reply Posted by lyndon on Monday June 17 2013 at 17:28
strongly disagree am i scratter?

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 17:42
Hahahah nice one, trying to be diplomatic here cos you do come across as a decent kid but has to be said that shop does seem to attract a certain type of clientele.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Monday June 17 2013 at 18:08
right thats it stevo the mutual appreciation societys now finished if grims started agreeing with you. what next on WAB fred and brian in talking sense shocker?

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 18:11
Have to agree but i'm still waiting for Les and his two penneth!
hahaha

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Monday June 17 2013 at 20:11
Thought I'd put this in a new post rather than reply to Stevos post but just to clarify Stevo - free parking, lower rates and no jobs for East Europeans and the Town Centre becomes Covent Gardens??? - priceless.
I take it you're suggesting that to offset the loss of income that the Council Tax rates are increased? or how else will you cover a loss of millions from the above.
Personally my view is that a lot of the towns problems lies with a distinct lack of education and ambition of the population. Raise those levels and aspirations and we develop entrepeneurs, give them the facilities both interms of housing, culture, entertainment etc and they may stay in the borough and develop their business here. These aspirations should come from the home first, followed by education and facilitated by the local authority or other provider / developer. Unfortunatley and this is not only a problem in Barnsley but in many other towns and cities a generation has grown up expecting to be bailed out by both local and central government. Barnsley will only change when people get off their and backsides and try to change their own lives and not just sit there waiting for it to happen - nothing to do with free parking,low rates or east europeans they're just excuses people use to hide their defficiences.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Monday June 17 2013 at 20:49
Don't you mean Covent Garden?

What about the millions already lost due to vacant shops?

Rents have to be competitive go get the businesses into town in the first place.
The constant merry go round of shops can only hurt the town in the long run.

And yes I WOULD put a cap on migrant workers if it meant that our young ones had a fair chance of getting a job after leaving school.

It is also evidently clear that you have a decent job and have absolutely no idea what the world of work in Barnsley is like in this day and age.

I have posted on many. many occasions about the majority of jobs being via "hire and fire" employment agencies, the majority of these jobs are zero hours as and when required and a large percentage are minimum wage.

Again I put it to you, there are 92% eastern Europeans working at symphony, the majority of which send money back home, so how the hell can this be good for our local economy and local people who are desperate for a job, any job!

The lack of ambition stems back from years ago when we had the towns major employer, where one could leave school and get a job down the mines,remember the pits?
Ya know the thing that made our town?
Or would you sooner forget about our history, I am almost sure you have uttered the immortal words about miners not moving on before.
Look at what replaced the mines - CALL CENTRES.

I have to agree slightly, there is a lack of ambition by our young uns, but after many years at school and university what jobs are out there for them?

Do you know the statistics for out of work graduates?

58%.

£9k a year tuition fees, £27,000 of debt, up to £50,000 of debt for student doctors, certainly a lot to aspire to isn't it?

Not everyone is academic, neither was I but I have done ok out of life.

I make no excuses, I speak from the heart and again extremely forthright and opinionated, pity the rest of the local population didn't have the same outlook on life and said what they thought instead of not speaking out for fear of being ostracised.

Lemmings springs to mind...

Seeing as though you clearly have a tunnel vision view of how things should be then lets hear how you would fix broken Britain and Barnsley in particular...

Over to you.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Tuesday June 18 2013 at 12:35
Stevo, I don't market myself as the peoples champion like you do - as you've said before you aim to stand in an election in the near future, and whilst I haven't seen on here which party this will be, it's pretty clear to most where your politics lay, so clearly your comments and any statistics that you quote will be questioned. I on the other hand have no desire to enter the political field, so I don't have to provide an answer - my views are my own thank you.

So back to your post - and specifically Barnsley, How many migrant workers would you let work in Barnsley, are the Irish ok are is it just East Europeans that you're discriminating against - and yes that is a form of racism if you're discriminating against a group of people regardless of colour, religion, country etc.
Your quote about the 40% of all jobs within the last two years going to migrant workers - where's that snippet from? Oh and the 92% of the workforce being east europeans workers at Symphony and the majority of them sending their money back home - based on fact or Stevos slanted view?
Are you still shopping at Meadowhall? how's that benefit Barnsley?

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 18 2013 at 14:37
I am by far the peoples champion, I am an average man with a lot to say and I have said this before and i'll say it again, I do not subscribe to any political party or persuasion.
As for statistics, there's something you don't know about me, nor do a lot of people, there is another world out there that not many people know about.

How many eastern Europeans would I let in? Well there already here aren't they?
Ok my workplace cap could be deemed unworkable, and irrespective of my musings on the issue my problems is not with the eastern Europeans per se, you cant blame them really can you? They were eating cabbage soup twenty years ago,this bold statement is not meant to sound disrespectful but is merely the truth.
The main problem for me lies with the employment agencies and employers that discriminate against our OWN British people.

Doesn't quite work the same though when we try and turn it the other way round does it?

With regard to symphony , again I refer you back to the percentages I quoted, it is in fact completely true that the percentage of 92% is absolutely correct, how do I know this?
I know the union Branch Secretary who works at Symphony as he is one of my friends.
With regard to eastern Europeans sending money back home to their families, I work with people that send money back home on a regular basis.
I lived next door to some Lithuanians that sent money back on a regular basis.

As for my slanted view, until you have worked with eastern Europeans then I suggest you ought not to comment with regard to them.
There is a major problem with eastern Europeans being first in line for jobs in Barnsley, obviously you disregard this as nothing major, carry on burying our head in the sand like the majority of people in our town.

Funnily enough, I was going to nip into town for some shorts for my holiday but then I realised that we don't have any shops that sell them, meadowhall for me a bit later i'm afraid.

Reply Posted by Ged on Tuesday June 18 2013 at 00:11
£27k for tuition fees, then student loan on top to cover digs etc. £50k - £60k for 3 years of study is nearer the mark, more for medical.

My suggestion - the country should pay (subject to status like the grants we had) the tuition fees for the Engineers, Maths & Physics teachers etc. for those essential skills that Britain PLC needs for our future. Perhaps give discounts for results - 50% 1st, 25% 2:1, 10% Desmond and lower, zero for fail.

Reply Posted by les on Tuesday June 18 2013 at 09:15
Well i was watching tits out of my bedroom window,and realised i hadnt been on w a b for 24 hours
Thanks for asking for my ten penneth.
Sorry two.
Does that mean im up for a knighthood.
My opinion is that there is nothing in barnsley at all but there is nothing anywhere.businesses that have been formed up to 200 years ago after surviving
2 world wars and numerous pitfalls have gone.
No one wants to get wet anymore so we go to indoor hypermarkets or shop on internet because we dont have to step out of the door. in most cases its cheaper.
To all the oldies who enjoy technology like fred stevo and gang including me.
Look back to when you were little and you watched films and read comics on the future. it was great we all wanted to be in that future.no work robots did everything
we could just laze about and robots did everything but in reality the technology came about.but not gradually. it hit us like ton of bricks and we dont know how to use it.
The greed side still prevails the councils want to get every penny they can out of you to build the past that they sold off.
When you look round barnsley there is nothing owned by barnsley it sold it off
look at the shops mostly owned by foreign
companys look at industry .owned by foreign companys look at the council.
Backhanded by foreign companys .
You have to laugh everytime this town gets a grant it spends the money on some hair brained idea and makes it appear as though eveybody should be gratefull like kids having some spice bought.
Its not barnsley thats bad .barnsley is a great place. ive lived inother parts of britain and europe. its much cleaner than it used to be in the 50s and 60s but its a long way off perfect.
The only thing is its been slowly going backward over the last few years and we are all trying to find someone to blame.
Why when there are so many police walking round barnsley are there people begging.
Why when there are so many street cleaners in the town is it always full of crap.
Why do councilors who get so much money ask for public opinion on what barnsley should do with barnsley.
My dad was co founder with a certain other wombwel man who got the wombwell and district sporting association fired up to develop the running track go kart and youth sports with dorothy hyman as its namesake.
These people wanted a future for young people to be out and commited all those big prospects have been allowed to sink instead of making barnsley one of the best entertainment centres for everything

Reply Posted by lyndon on Tuesday June 18 2013 at 18:19
they have a fine selection of shorts in tk maxx peoples champion! back to the matter in hand this clown's actually been knighted, for what? i thought it was some kind of joke at first

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 13:48
Cant be ar*sed to trawl through all the racks though Lyndon, might nip to Matalan(d) though.
Oh hang on I cant! according to Hoyland Red and technically speaking Matalan(d) is in Rotherham.
I know i'll get my shorts, nip into Wombwell, which is free parking by the way, then i'll travel all the way through to the town centre and buy something, anything.
What you reckon?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 15:21
Thought the car was on automatic pilot to jct34? Don't forget to mention when you're abroad that you don't want any of those foreigners thinking they can have our jobs, the little tinklers. Oh and if there are any Brits working over there (wherever that may be) give them a big pat on the back for showing initiative and getting off their backsides to find work.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 17:47
I'm beginning to think you don't work Hoyland Red as you spend an awful lot of time replying to my "voice of reason" or "peoples champion" as you so eloquently put ,posts

Its a nice day why not take yourself for a walk round Elsecar res?

TTFN

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 01:16
It is a joke. this is england people get knighted all the time.
Elton john. mick jagger. jimmy savill mugabi think they wanted to give adolph hitler a knightood for. his assistance in stashing millions in swiss banks

Reply Posted by dave trimbley on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 14:03
Tell me this is a sick joke by WAB?

just googled it and it IS true!

however he got this I do not know, parliamentary and political services? wtf?

madness!

Reply Posted by Debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 16:11
Barnsley, like the rest of the UK. Is on it's arse. It's had it's time and now it's slowly wasting away, with vultures like Houghton and many other politicians, administrators, business moguls, waiting to pick at it's few remaining morsels and invest their gains in a nice little offshore tax haven.
If you're smart and/or can afford to ( like me ). You'll get out of the UK altogether.
If your poor or can't/don't want to see the truth. You'll live a shorter than average life in a place You'll always complain about ( On sad little message boards like this ) while never actually doing anything ( or being ABLE to do anything ) to improve your situation. While all the time having what little income you have, stolen legally from your threadbare pockets and quietly deposited into the bank accounts of a very select and cunning few..
The Pit communities died long ago. Their memory tainted with the willful ignorance, apathy and spite that predominates today..
What would I do to improve Barnsley?. Nothing!.. Leave it to rot and let the extremists, the greedy and the stupid fight over it's worthless corpse.Because it isn't about where you're from. It's about where you want to be,
GO WEST, good people. In fact go South, East and North if need be.
Nothing to see here.

Reply Posted by dave trimbley on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 18:34
So lets get this straight, you have moved abroad and are complaining about people complaining on "sad little message boards like this"?

Get a life you saddo!

Reply Posted by debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 19:27
Not complaining David. Just observing and commenting on the decline of Barnsley.. As for me getting a life.. I believe that was the overall message that I conveyed, and fortunately for myself. I have indeed ' Got a life '. A very happy one indeed.
It still saddens me to see my town of birth and it's populace in such a sorry state. My apologies if my comments caused offence and prompted your short sighted and somewhat defensive reply. I wish you and yours all the very best of good health and fortune...

Reply Posted by dave trimbley on Sunday June 23 2013 at 20:12
Get on with your own pathetic life you stupid moo.

You have no right to comment on the town of your birth now that you have sodded off from it.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 16:11
Steve Houghton has been given a knighthood for shafting the people of Barnsley. The result of the "Labour" council's strict adherence to Tory policies will be evident tomorrow when hundreds of unemployed people are summonsed to appear at the Magistrates' Court for non-payment of Council Tax which they cannot afford. Perhaps Sir Steve should come down to meet the people and see the result of his "hard work".

Reply Posted by lyndon on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 20:42
make your mind up i thought you wanted barnsley and all its inhabitants to rot, or just wanted an argument i suspect

Reply Posted by debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 21:02
It's already rotting I'm afraid Lynda. I'm simply highlighting this and calling for those who can, to take control of their lives and save themselves from pointless hardship and uncaring and corrupt officialdom.
Take care and God speed my friend..

Reply Posted by lyndon on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 21:33
have you been on the sangria old love? where is this utopia you now find yourself? probably lives alone with 20 cats at monk bretton dipshit

Reply Posted by dave trimbley on Thursday June 20 2013 at 06:35
hahahah, who is this silly bloody woman?

She is well funny,mad as a hatter but funny!

Reply Posted by debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 21:51
As we both know Lynda. Real Utopia is a state of being and not some fantastical physical realm. Utopia, in a sense, is created by having greater control over your own life and the influences upon it therein.
Your casual and vulgar use of profanity and unwillingness to engage in reasoned and rational debate merely serve to prove my initial points made in an earlier post. I know that it's probably too late for you to improve your state of being Lynda. Even if you were aware that it could genuinely be improved upon, would you even care?. Once the rot sets in, it seems to be virulent and almost always terminal. As you yourself exemplify Lynda.
You have my sympathy old warrior. May the good Lord keep you well.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 22:08
please don't call me lynda it's really hurtful. i hadn't realised you were engaging in a reasoned and rational debate, think it was the part where you said barnsleys a shithole and everyone should move that threw me

Reply Posted by debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 22:32
I would never intentionally wish to hurt you Lynda.So my apologies for that..
Perhaps if I had said; Barnsleys a shithole and everyone should move - discuss.
would that have made it easier for you?..
Anything I can do to help Lyndan. You know that my friend.
Again. My apologies for hurting your feelings. Perhaps you would like to borrow a few of my many cats to help cheer you up?.They are affectionate and play nicely with strangers.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 22:40
proper fruit loop you love

Reply Posted by debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 22:52
I don't pretend to understand your particular vernacular Lyndan. Wonderfully unique as it is. But you are very welcome, and I sincerely hope we can confer on an informal basis like this again soon.
Who knows?. One day we may even engage in discourse on an equal footing.
Take good care dear Lydon, and I shall light a black lamp just for you.

Reply Posted by dave trimbley on Sunday June 23 2013 at 20:14
" One day we may even engage in discourse on an equal footing"

Heyup, erm tha frum tarn, that means tha still dogshite no matter where thas gone, so dunt be givin it the big I am.

Reply Posted by Debz on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 04:51
I'm sorry to see you have a problem with Dyslexia, David. Either that or some of the consonants on your keyboard aren't working properly.. But I'm sure what you said was pertinent and profound.
I will be thinking of your very good self while making a donation to the British Dyslexia Association. Take very good care of yourself, old comrade.

Reply Posted by Ced on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 04:55
PMSL @ Debz. Dave mi owd. Take the hook art thi gob. Tha beein wound in lad.. lol..

Reply Posted by Graham on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 22:55
I certainly have sympathy with your views Debz. Sadly, some of the less well educated and less worldly inhabitants of our town and who post on here cannot see the bigger picture.

It is particularly sad that in order to make anything of their life, bright young people of any ability have to move away as there is little opportunity for betterment in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 23:11
You get halfway down a topic then all of a sudden, the topics gone down the pan
and all we get is a slanging match.
My breast advice for you barnsley hating
booby implants is to. MOVE TO THURNSCOE OR GOLDTHORPE OR SIBERIA

Reply Posted by debz on Wednesday June 19 2013 at 23:15
Very true Graham. As my dear departed Nanna used to say. ' A toilet will always be a toilet. No matter how often you clean it and paint the walls. Why live in a toilet when the living room is just a few steps away, has a much nicer view and smells better?'
It's a bitter, soulless and undignified world that we live in. But fight against it we must if we really wish to create a world worth inhabiting for our future generations.
As for Mr Houghton and all his ilk; "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones".
Quite apt.

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Thursday June 20 2013 at 00:16
I disagree. all these people here are judge
and jury.
Half of them couldnt remember what there wives had sent them to the shop for.
So many couldnt remember. after an hour in the pub. who there wife was.
and some of them there wives are thinking, i hope that wanker has found someone else on that chat line.......
All governments be it local or national are also in this category . they all get something for nothing. and whoever gets into running barnsley or britain . they will all be shit.
Apart from lining there pockets
theyll be brilliant at that
you dont really think that this country is hard up .you are all part of an experiment.
You are being used as pawns in a game.
And it works well. do you really think these people are running barnsley or the country. look at the people who have been knighted over the past 50 years write them all down on paper and you will say.
Someone has got to be taking the piss.
Look around at the countries that we are at war with most leaders were educated in this country bet the queen was really miffed at mugabe did he actually send his honorary medal back. at least john lennon
ex spliffer gave his up

Reply Posted by stevo on Thursday June 20 2013 at 06:41
new name LES?

Reply Posted by Joy on Thursday June 20 2013 at 01:43
@king hell the third..... Are you really David Icke?

Reply Posted by Joy on Thursday June 20 2013 at 01:45
@Debz. You are my new hero. lol

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:22
Many names many faces allways truth