'Bedroom Tax' To Cost Couple Hundreds

Wednesday June 5 2013

Ian, Melanie and Ruby Ian, Melanie and Ruby

A COUPLE who currently have just £2.58 a week left after paying their bills say they're staggered after being told the new 'bedroom tax' will cost them an extra £840 a year.

Ian and Melanie Tattershall live in a three-bedroomed council house in Great Houghton with their two-year-old daughter Ruby.

But Ian, 36, also has two sons from a previous relationship and has joint custody of both boys.

That means the boys spend three nights one week and four nights every alternate week living with Ian and Melanie at their home in Mount Avenue.

The couple have been told by Barnsley Council that even though Ian has joint custody of his sons, the bedroom they sleep in in his home is classed as a spare room and therefore subject to the bedroom tax.

Ian, a former carpet fitter who is now registered disabled because of crippling arthritis and other medical problems, admits he's baffled.

"I am not saying I need the third bedroom because my sons occasionally visit, this is as much their home as it is my daughter's," he said.

"The council says my sons don't count in terms of bedroom tax because I don't take half the family allowance for them, I let their mother keep that.

"The irony is Melanie, who works part-time, and I were considering fostering but the rules say because of the situation with me having joint custody of my sons as well as having Ruby, we couldn't foster because we don't have a spare bedroom.

"So on the one hand we don't have a spare bedroom, but on the other we do, how does that make sense?

"It's so frustrating, we're not scroungers, we're not asking for hand outs - all we want is to be treated fairly and I can't see how this is fair."

Reply Posted by ryan on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:38
the bedroom tax is a load of balls its just anotherway for the goverment t get money dunt they take anuff from us by the time they are done this county is guna be like Africa in proverty

Reply Posted by Name on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:46
I live ina 3bedroom house with 1son so only need a 2bedroom house. This wasn't by choice its just what was offered to me through a housing association. Im also at university so don't claim benefits. But as soon as i finish i shall be purely to cover the cost of the governments 'living costs' and if that upsets people i don't really care!

Reply Posted by dino on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:53
This government are like the sherrifs of nottingham today. All for the rich nowt for the poor. The sooner theyr out of power the better. Guy fawkes had the best idea

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 15:37
Do you HONESTLY think Labour will repeal the bedroom tax if they get into power after the next general election?

not going to happen is it.

They have no clear and viable policies of their own and are now Tory Lite.

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:55
I'veno iidea of the situation here but I agree about the stupid bedroom tax. It's not on. Spare bedroom or not. Stupid stupid stupid. I've seen and hears that couples are having another child to vacate that bedroom. More money but look at that situation government. THEY ARE HAVING ANOTHER CHILD TO PUT INTO THAT BEDROOM. LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU DONT THINK OF THE CONSEQUENCES AFTERWARDS.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday June 7 2013 at 09:05
Having another child will make no difference what so ever - as children upto a certain age have to share a bedroom under the "bedroom tax" policy

Reply Posted by Payyourownway on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:05
I feel sorry for the people mentioned in this article but it is all the benefit scroungers that forced the government to to take these tough measures. A lot of people think they are entitled to a life on benefits. Get a job and pay your own way in life!

Reply Posted by russ on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:38
60% of people hit with bedroom tax are working look up a bit of imformation before spouting rubbish dont forget everybody is only a crisis away from this stupid tax

Reply Posted by LearnYourOwnFacts on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 16:27
Sorry, you seem not to have read the article properly.

Nevertheless, do you really think benefits are the cause of this? Not the overlending by banks; not the raise in oil prices and corporate profit margins; not the knock on effect of that to the retail prices?

You're right, it is the lazy people isn't it. Go girl.

Reply Posted by Peter on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:16
Payyourownway, not everyone can get a job, i have about 5 mates currently on benefits, living in a bedsite or flat who would give anything for a job, they have even volunteered and been out everyday looking and applying for jobs,

Not everyone is a scrounger, as said that's 5 people I know who have worked for free! just so they have something to do in the day and hope that the company takes them on properly.

I even look on the internet as well to help them find work, one site I looked on showed most jobs as having 50-70 people applying for one position!, that is why people can't get work, not through choice.

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:21
I am so sick of hearing this government is all for the rich not for the poor. This country gives out more benefits than any other I know of! If the poor are so hard done to, stop having more children than you can afford.
The benefit system has bred an entire generation that believe they are "entitled" to benefits as a way of life, they should not be a choice, they should be a last resort.
When I bought my house I would have loved a 5 bed detached so I had a spare room and lots of space but guess what, I couldn't afford it so I bought a smaller one! I work hard every month to earn the money to pay for the house that is within my means.
I would love a big family, but guess what, I can't afford one. So I live within my means, work hard and earn the money to give my one son all the opportunities I can rather than bring more children into this world that I can afford to look after.
That is the reality of this world - you should love to your means. This should be no different if you are claiming benefits.
I am proud of the fact that we give benefits to those that genuinely need them, but measure like this HAVE to be brought in to get the benefit system under control where people can earn more on benefits than they can earning a wage - that is fundamentally wrong.

Reply Posted by Graham on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 14:02
Anon- You are quite right. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions in life. Quite simply you should only have what you can afford. People should not be allowed to do what they want and expect the rest of society to pay for it. There are far too many scroungers/spongers on here. Take responsibility for your own actions and create your own destiny.

It hurts me to say it, but one of the biggest problems with people in Barnsley is that they lack a decent education, although in many instances, any education.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 15:47
Have to agree with the top portion of your comment Graham the Tory.
However, seems like you and many others on these pages tar everyone with the same brush and label everyone on benefits as "scroungers".
You also tar everyone in this town as uneducated, it is evidently clear in the various incessant rambling posts you write that you have no clear idea what the people of Barnsley are really like.
As I have said on previous occasions, if you have nothing constructive to say about the town and its inhabitants then I suggest you move to somewhere that will approve of your Tory rhetoric and bile.
They say that Harrogate is a nice Tory place.

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 17:04
I totally agree with this post. I’d also like to add that Barnsley was promised “rejuvenating “ after the miners strike by Labour, this didn’t happen.

So to the post before, I’ve lived in Barnsley a very long time, I’ve seen it in prospering times and now I see the demise of a town and it’s not by the “people” but previous governments. Where is the investment in it? Towns like Barnsley built this country, or should I say “the people!”

Getting back on track with the post now, I live in a two bedroom flat, I work, and pay my own way, but I know that if I were to come upon hard times, I would be one of these people who would have to pay bedroom tax, because I have access to my son, who comes most weekends and he needs somewhere to sleep. What would I have to do then? Would I have to give up my rights as a father and move to a smaller place in which my son wouldn’t be able to stay for the night? Some people don’t know what they are talking about.

Reply Posted by Graham on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 17:17
Education, education, education - it is so important to have a good education. Education opens up a wide range of interesting opportunities and generally leads to a better career and a more affluent lifestyle. Everyone has this opportunity, some take it and some don't. However, irrespective of age it is never too late to take advantage of educational opportunities. Hard work, application and dedication brings so many rewards.

I have no desire of relocating to Harrogate, although having visited the area many times, I imagine that it would be a very nice place to live.

Reply Posted by Grim on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 18:30
Agreed Graham. Too many uneducated people in Barnsley who in turn pass on a complete indifference to education on to their children. You would think that they would encourage their offspring to better themselves but instead they pass on a greedy grasping nature instead.
Most people on here have no idea how to spell or the use of grammar and punctuation so it is no surprise when they fail to become employed. Add on to that a common tendency towards racism and a dislike of the very people who pay the taxes that support them and it is no wonder that Barnsley is on a downwards trend.
By the way Stevo and co, I unlike most of you have lived in Barnsley all my life and I am an adult not a spoilt teen.......

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 20:15
Grim, Barnsley lad born and bred me mate.

Have to agree with you about the standard of grammar and punctuation, and have to admit I am what you could term relatively uneducated, however the constant jibes at people who have a lesser standard of grammar, punctuation and education is wearing a bit thin now, not everyone is as "thick" as you and some of the other posters on here make out.

Going back to your comment about greedy grasping people, look at the jobs situation we have in our town, or the inherent lack of said jobs.
Whether you or I like it or not statistics do not lie and over 40% of the jobs over the last two years have gone to migrants.

Oh, hang on, I cant say that can I ? I am being racist aren't I?

NO, the large majority of the incumbent migrant populous are white European are they not?
Yes, thought so, so how on gods earth can this be deemed racist?

Immigration does cause division in society, I work with some Polish lads and for the most part they are hardworking, rarely have any time off and a large majority of them want to integrate into our workplace and society in general.

There are also quite a few of them that I work with that do not want to integrate with us brits and are down right aloof.

Back to the benefits culture, yes there are quite a few families that do not want to work and have never worked, there are quite a few in my family.
Begs the question, are they just lazy or forgotten people trapped in the system?

Is the system right or is it wrong?
Is the system too easy to abuse?

The system should be there for people who have fallen on hard times and benefits are a safety net, but since Labour got in last time benefits have become a lifestyle choice.

Again to ram this point home YET again, the largest benefit expenditure goes on pensioners and tax credits.
We have Tax Credits as companies only pay the "benchmark" minimum wage and the TC's are used to "top up" earnings for low income families.
Tell me what is wrong with that last sentence?

I don't have all the answers and have never claimed to do so, I am an average worker in the modern world of work in Barnsley.

Unfortunately many people cannot see past the end of their noses and have absolutely no idea what happens in the workplaces which have large majorities of migrant workers.

Yes migration is here to stay, unless someone in our government grows a pair and installs a cap on migrant workers in any workplace, this will never happen of course whilst ever we have politically correct, namby pambies in charge.

AND just to re-iterate yet again, I am in my 40's, worked since I was 15 years old and the only time I have ever had off work was when I had two serious accidents.

Reply Posted by Zeberdee on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 20:33
Well said, totally agree

Reply Posted by Grim on Sunday June 9 2013 at 16:34
If you weren't so thick Stevo and bull headed, you would realise that I am not knocking the people of Barnsley for being thick but for the lack of educational choices and standards, for the lack of choosing to use said punctuation and because I am sick of people outside of Barnsley tarring all of us as thick an unable to speak English.
Surely the reason that most of Barnsley is unemployed is not helped by using such awful English?
Yes in my opinion you are racist and you need to seek help. Mate.

Reply Posted by STEVO on Monday June 10 2013 at 00:33
Funniest reply and surely the post of the year for me.
So I am racist am I? You don't know anything about me or my family, oops I meant my LARGE multicultural family, which, erm ,comes from all four corners of the globe from Iceland to sri lanka to China.
Yeah I am REALLY racist, and am a BNP supporter and hate all non English people. Hahahahahahaha

It is also evidently clear that you have absolutely no education to speak of and cannot string a proper sentence together, you speak of punctuation and the like but I honestly think you really need to go back to school and learn some manners.

Once you have learned some English, some spelling and a bit of maths then please feel free to come back on WAB and talk to me in a respectful manner.
If you have nothing constructive to say then I suggest you take in the Beano, that is probably the most input your intellectual capacity can intake without blowing a gasket.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:22
*love should read live!
Freudian slip there!

Reply Posted by KPO on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:24
Bedroom tax doesn't effect me in any way as both me and my partner work full time. I can say though that I find it ridiculous. The council do not have enough one bedroomed houses and flats to accommodate the people they say only need one bedroom. When I moved into a council house three years ago every property that was available to me was two bedroomed, there was only me living here back then but all the one bedroomed properties where reserved for elderly or disabled people. The council haven't really given people the right opportunities. The guidelines on what constitutes a spare room are stupid as demonstrated by this story. My nan who is 60 and has had three strokes. She is lucky to be alive, has nurses intermittently through the day to help her look after her self. More proof of this government stupidity is that she has £9.62 a were left once they have finished with there deductions on her allowance. She my be disabled but I'm sure that everyone eats more than £9.62 worth of food a week.

Reply Posted by cons go on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:24
Reason for no jobs is tbat all the migrants have taken them . Good on you labour for opening the gates . Now the country is stuffed and this is the result...

Reply Posted by Payyourownway on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:32
Peter, I'm not saying that everybody on benefits are scroungers but a significant portion think they are entitled. The welfare system was created to support people in times of need, not create a work shy population. I have no problem with genuine cases getting support from the state but people who make a career of doing nothing, should be kicked of welfare. The scroungers are spoiling it for the people that actually need it.

Reply Posted by russ on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:44
once again look up more imformation how much real benefits really go to unemployed it might wake you up it is not a significantportion most benefits go to the oap unemployed is a really low percent

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 15:51
Yes Russ you are right, the daily Fail, Sun and Tory propaganda arms tar everyone on benefits as being scroungers, however people who have any idea how the welfare system works now that the large majority of the welfare budget goes to pensioners and Tax Credits.
People have to top up their wage via Tax Credits as we do not have any employers that are prepared to pay a decent living wage for a days work.

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:51
Both myself and partner work to provide for our family, if either of us had to give up work wed b in the same predicament n I do think the bedroom tax is irrelevant. But the benefits system does make me sick! There ppl I know what have 2 abroad holidays a year an have never worked and there's us who have to work extra hrs etc to be able to afford an holiday every 3-4 years!

Reply Posted by G on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:07
I agree with people being charged bedroom tax because they have a spare room that their grandkids stay in once every couple of weeks. But not for someone like this who's kids stay there half of the time. That's not a spare room! Surely they can't just impose a blanket bedroom tax and some consideration has to be given to special circumstances like this. It's not right.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:11
I think everyone here is singing from the same hymn sheet but just in different ways, I too know plenty of people who have very lovely lives on benefits and I know a few who 's partners work but because they get that much in tax credits won't go out and work themselves, because in there words( not mine) why should I when I get 12,000 a month for staying at home. Now come on that's not right. Benefits are there for people in need not for such as this

Reply Posted by pay your way on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:15
they should take all these people thats claming for drugs and alcholics as they pay more to these and its there own fault there on it why would they want to come of them if they getting payed

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 15:53
Another classic example of how the system doesn't work, how the hell can an alcoholic get disability benefits for being a alcoholic?

Reply Posted by June on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:35
The bedroom Tax is Not Fairly done, all benefits should be based on the amount of NI contributuions a person has made over the years
i know someone who has never worked a day in his life, gets every benefit possible and manages to have a savings account, ( i'd love his Doctor)
Then you get a person who through no fault of their own lose's his job, has a worked all his life, who will be on less money than the man who has never worked......... the system is all wrong
Everything is too easy in Britain, and stated earlier, both myself and my husband have always worked, not brilliant wage's but we have managed by making provisions, we only have one child, our house is small but our own, we limit ourselves to 1 night out a month and we've both had to give up smoking.........i'd have loved more children but i knew we could not afford any........... The goverment should make things fair

Reply Posted by just me on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 15:04
surely thay could cut the cost down when bedroom is in use this is rediculas end of day they forceing pple to get smaller houses because of this bedroom tax do they not think they could split familys up especially when there kids cant stop because they had to down size there home to be over crowded its just like if you working part time you pay so much goes on earnings so they can do it with bedroom tax on the days its not occupied

Reply Posted by Davey on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 19:25
loophole - say the spare bedroom is a study. they cant charge bedroom tax for a study.

Reply Posted by x on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 20:36
i swapped to a 1 bed from a 2 bed with someone who needed the extra bed room, 12 months later her child has left home and she is now stuck in a 2 bed house classed as being under occupied and has to start all over again trying to find a 1 bed property which is virtually impossible.how many times are people actually going to have to move if people have to move everytime a child leaves home and are then classed as under occupied

Reply Posted by Jo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 21:17
On disability n only got 2 quid Sumat left a week 2 live on wat a load of croc,yr rent will b paid n council tax,every 1 else in the country will av the same bills,but cos U r told that u will av 2 pay bedroom tax u complain,I work full time n got 2 kids,n av 2 pay full rent n council tax n probably the same bills as u,n I just scrape by week by week,yes u mite b classed disabled but ,there's nothing stopping yr wife gettin a job,

Reply Posted by jeff on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 22:06
i'm waiting for a 3 bedroom house i'm having to live in a 2 bedroom flat with my 3 kids and wife bedroom tax is here to stay as people are waiting for these houses why should people in my postion have to live in a 2 bedroom flat when you have someone living in a 3 bedroom house on the own at the end of the day these houses are council owned if you don't like whats happening then MOVE no one is asking you to live there you signed the agreement with the council they gave plenty of notice this was happening there are loads of private rents i should know i saw over 100 advertised last week now im in one waiting for someone to MOVE how many people on here have caravans at the cost or villas on far off shores they don't complain about paying ground rents or service charges for there villas they rent em out and charge for em they dont go here you go have a week on us so why should the council not do the same for a spare room or 2 should the tax payer have to pay just so people can live in the area they want working class people have to live in areas they can afford and yes i work but have been waiting 3 yrs for a 3 bedroom house and as for a study been a loophole sorry if the house you in is 2-3-4-5 bedroom then thats what it is as your tenancy agreement will state what bedroom house your renting so no loophole

Reply Posted by WTF on Thursday June 6 2013 at 01:08
Why don't you rent private then?

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 23:56
No matter what party you follow this country of ours is in deep. Shit,caused by extremely Rich people,and because they are in trouble the poor are having to bear the brunt. They just sit back and watch us blame each other for all the down falls whilst they just bide there time for things to improve,and then whichever party gets in they just buy them to do there will and it all starts allover again.Bedroom tax petrol tax cuts in benefits,migration intergration its all part of the plan. You ain't seen nothing yet

Reply Posted by lilly on Thursday June 6 2013 at 10:55
jo not everyone on disability automatically gets rent and council tax paid, if youv'e worked and paid a stamp before becoming ill you get a portion of your rent and council tax paid and have so much to pay yourself so the bedroom tax is actually extra on top of what you already pay because if youv,e worked and paid full stamp you dont get sickness benefit made up with income support so don't automatically get full rent and council tax benefit,you are actually penolised for having worked

Reply Posted by x on Thursday June 6 2013 at 11:04
you shouldnt have to live in overcrowded situation jeff its wrong. but i do think that the majority of people living in under occupied houses don't acctually have a problem with down sizing, the problem is there just isnt enough smaller houses to re locate to. most of the people iv'e spoke to are trying to downsize but can't find anywhere because it looks like there are more people wanting smaller houses than there are wanting to move to larger properties

Reply Posted by jeff on Thursday June 6 2013 at 18:15
ANSWER TO WTF: im renting private....like everyone else they are high rents im paying more private rent for a two bedroom flat than what the council charge for a 3/4 bedroom house hence me waiting for a 3/4 bedroom council house

Reply Posted by WTF on Thursday June 6 2013 at 23:28
Jeff you know that you could get housing benefit if you got a bigger private rent? The wait for council accom is mad now the kids will be out at work by the time you find what you need with them.

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday June 9 2013 at 14:59
Instead of waiting for a 3/4 bed council house which is subsidised by the taxpayer, why not buy your own, there's these things called mortgages and basically what happens is you borrow some money from the bank or building society and you pay it back over 25 years or more.

No you would rather US pay for you have a 3/4 bed council house that comes with massively subsidised rent and still have the cheek to moan about paying extortionate private rents.

Why do you think that private rents are so pricey?
Could it be something to do with the lack of social housing?

As far as I am concerned, the right to be housed legislation needs to be repealed, perhaps then it would give people the impetus to go out and get a job and buy their own house.

Ooh that's wrong you say? NO its right, far too many people have had a free home for far too long, and think that they "own" the property they rent from US.
Geez some council tenants even have "succession" rights to pass their council property onto their siblings, HOW THE HELL can this be right?

This is one thing that definitely needs repealing with IMMEDIATE EFFECT!

What does this learn the children of said council tenant? It learns them they will get a free house without putting any effort in.

Reply Posted by les on Friday June 7 2013 at 00:23
When people keep bitching about foreigners living here.
Where do most of you go on holiday . yes abroad. and you really piss there countries off.
There are over 5 million brits living somewhere else. there are half a million over living in spain. and when you keep complaining about all the foreigners living
here. how the frig do you think australia usa canada parts of indian language came about and parts of africa and new zealand.
No . because the english made wars raped stole and murdered other nations.....
Or maybe we sent them a few english books over.
Leave the foreigners alone.
Most of thetaxes you keep saying is spent on dolers is really going on killing thousands of innocent people abroad and dividing there cultures . just like some of you in these posts are doing

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday June 9 2013 at 01:02
Les, I have come to the conclusion that you need IMMEDIATE sedation as you talk absolute garbage.

I am not saying we didn't conquer half of the world, that was then, this is now, get with the programme or better still move to Spain.

Reply Posted by Lee on Sunday June 9 2013 at 13:09
The people that live abroad go because they are financially able to the people that come over here just come for the benefits see how you feel in 10 years. If you want to move to Australia you have got to jump through hoops you want to live over here you've just got to get a flight.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday June 7 2013 at 13:58
the bedroom tax is unfair and unjust if applied should be applied to all nationalities living in the country with no clauses ie for a prayer room etc if british employers employed british workers instead of going overseas to recruit workers there would be a lot more jobs available recently i have read butlins only employ workers from abroad as they accept less pay as the london bus company who sent its managers to poland and employed 50 bus drivers and brought them back to britain without advertising over here so come on folks stop arguing amongst yourseleves im sure alot of people on benefits would love a job and the chance to better themselves but sadly in todays ways this will not happen and to all those who call the unemplyed scrongers i hope you do not find yourselves in the position of scrounger !

Reply Posted by Kim on Friday June 7 2013 at 13:59
Having another child to get out of the bedroom tax is rediculous and the people that do this don't deserve kids. And besides, I have 2 children in a 3 bedroom house and I would be hit with the bedroom tax as both my kids are under 3 so would be allowed to share a room legally.
Look at it this way, if a single person was living in a four bedroom house and you and your kids where homeless, would you think it selfish of them to stay in there under occipied house or move to somewhere smaller allowing a family to have it? Just my opinion :)

Reply Posted by james on Friday June 7 2013 at 14:07
they can claim a discresiontary housing paymetn as my friend got 1 and its help him with bedroom tax ask tht local housing for a discretionay housing payment form

Reply Posted by david on Friday June 7 2013 at 14:11
she should go full time, prob solved! problem is people assume they are entitled to cheap housing! ya not, people assume have rite to stay a home wi kids, you dont, if husband is disabled could he not work part time?? of not then ya partner should pick up the slack and wprk full time, does no one else see this as a sollution??!!!!

Reply Posted by karen boardman on Friday June 7 2013 at 14:21
I have a way to earn an extra few quid a week, just working 10 to 12 hours can get you an extra £50 easily. go to www.fab2ndincome.co.uk for free information

Reply Posted by Wedge on Friday June 7 2013 at 14:36
I am glad about bedroom tax it will only upset all dirty scrubbers and I am in favour of that hope all scroungers in Hoyland end up on streets

Reply Posted by Nicola on Friday June 7 2013 at 16:13
I agree with Peter , yes some people do take the p*** and can't be botherd to work , but most people do want a job there just isn't enough jobs to go round, my husband was out of work for 2 years and he was out looking and applying everyday it was the worst 2 years we have ever had we own our house with a mortgage and have 2 children and it was a struggle to keep the roof over our head. My husband would have given anything for a job when he was out of work.

Reply Posted by les on Saturday June 8 2013 at 01:08
Of course he would nicola.
But dont listen to most of this shower half of them arnt working anyway and the others that bad mouth everybody are the reason most people leave this country.
Because they are the neighbours from hell you dont want . nosey vindictive old farts.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Saturday June 8 2013 at 13:28
I think training is a problem , my husband is from a specialist trade and when the recession started his line of work was one of the 1st to go under , he would have been back in work sooner if he had the chance to train in something else but the dwp said he was too old (32 years old) for them to help with the training for another trade , it dies make me laugh that if you take drugs or drink then they will give you extra benefits to feed your habit but if you want to improve your chances of getting a job by training it's a no . My husband is now back in his trade .

Reply Posted by Lee on Sunday June 9 2013 at 13:02
I'm sorry but people that say they can't get a job are talking rubbish I could get a job tomorrow try going to McDonald's or somewhere like that I've done it myself a jobs a job.

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday June 9 2013 at 14:08
That's the problem isn't it Lee, The Ooh i'm not doing that job its beneath me attitude will get them nowhere.
I have worked since i was 15 and I am a very proud person, if I lost my job tomorrow I would do anything to keep the wolf from the door and pay my mortgage.

I'd sweep the streets, clean peel street toilets, hell i'd even get a job at Atos just to ensure that I had a steady income and that my pride remained intact.

As for Nicola, you say your hubby was in a specialist trade and was unemployed for two years, evidently your hubby was looking for a job in his "specialist" trade, there is a word for trying different jobs you know its called diversification, seems that your hubby wouldn't do a minimum wage job as if would have been beneath him.

Does have to be said thought that he minimum wage should be more like £8 -£10 an hour.

As for your comment about druggies getting extra benefits for being druggies, of course this is wrong, same goes for alcoholics getting disability benefits for being alcoholics.

Reply Posted by Mark on Monday June 10 2013 at 17:56
Look stevo you jumped up little pr**k, Im nicolas husband and when I found myself unemployed Yes of course I look to my trade first (thats what I trained years for DUH) but it quickly became apparent that the arse had dropped out of the construction industry so I started applying for ANY job I could find AND they were all MINIMUM wage!! I applied for everything from being a cleaner to sifting through rubbish on a conveyour at a refuse center and everything I applied for 9 time out of 10 you didnt even get a response back or you got the standard "youve been unsucsessfull at this time". back then there was ( and to some extent still is) loads and loads of people applying for the same jobs as soon as they came out cos everyone was in the same boat. I was sending out at least 7 or 8 aplications a week AND cold calling and they were all minimum wage. when I finally did get a job it was MINIMUM WAGE working for a block paving company in doncaster grafting my nuts off for pittance and was there for a year before my old boss rang me up to come back. so I suggest you come down from your ivory tower and stop trying to paint everyone with your one brush and take off those rose tinted glasses of yours because some of us actually want to earn a living not wait for to be handed to them. And so you know that period of unemployment was my only one in my WHOLE working life.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Monday June 10 2013 at 17:28
Stevo my husband did apply for minimum wage jobs , very easy for you to make out a job was easy to come by you have obviously never been out of work through no fault of your own . My husband as worked all his life and paid his stamp don't tarnish him with the same brush as the benefit thieves .

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 10 2013 at 19:32
I was made redundant 18 months ago and found a job within FOUR days, their are jobs out there if you are prepared to swallow your pride and do something that you wouldn't normally want to do.
I also applied for 178 jobs during the four days of being unemployed and I too have worked all my life, since 15 in fact and the only time I have had off from work was when i was injured at work on two occasions.

I have also been made redundant twice within the nearly 30 years that i have worked and found a job within a week the first time and four days the second time.

And i do not have any specialist trade or attributes.

Struggling to find the connection with "tarnish him with the same brush as benefit thieves" comment to anything i have said previously.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Monday June 10 2013 at 18:05
Lol Stevo your comment to grim ,the " you don't know anything about me or my family" right back at you . Don't dish it out unless you can take it back!

Reply Posted by Stevo on Monday June 10 2013 at 19:36
I can dish it out and take it all day long.
The comment to Grim was in response to a comment he made about me "allegedly" being "racist" with respect to Polish workers, something that your hubby will have no doubt come across in the building trade.

I come from a large multicultural family and don't have to justify my actions or words to anyone.

Bye bye

Reply Posted by Nicola on Monday June 10 2013 at 19:47
So what r you saying Stevo that my husband was too stuck up and didn't swallow his pride , like he mentioned he searched for work he got a min paid job needs must , your talking 4 years ago when jobs were much harder to get than they are now .

Reply Posted by James on Monday June 10 2013 at 20:13
Stevo your a knob , I too was out of work and took a while to get work again in which I applied for jobs everyday for any and every kind of work so I know how mark must have felt , I don't get why your having a go at some ones misfortune by no fault if there own plus looking back at your comments your saying that there's not many jobs going then your having ago at some one for been out of work. Are you abit backwards in the head or something . And yes you are indeed racist

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 06:45
Read my posts again and report back when you have fully understood them.

Reply Posted by les on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 00:09
Some people on this site must have a nose 3ft long and they dont even tell good ones
they dont come to this site to discuss the things of any interest . they hover round each story like a virus praying on peoples pitfalls and then bury there disease ridden. boring lives into the wounds .
They are liers with a sickness and in 99% of there comments they tell you how much money theyve got even though its nothing to do with the subject and then they tell you everything theyve done in there life .nobody really gives shit.
You just want people to comment on you...
Me me me thats all your about ...
178 job applications in 4 days. and got replies. and a job in that same 4 days
what are you a f*+'"+-* time traveller

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 06:58
Les (buffoon) Both jobs were found within the timescales I stated above as were the amount of applications which included me sending my cv to agencies

I am glad that me having a few quid in the bank rankles you, I will make sure that I mention this with great gusto in every post of yours that I reply to.

Mark, I think you may have misunderstood my original post, I never actually labelled you as a benefit scrounger/or tarred you with any brush, I think you will actually see that it was your wife that mentioned it, not me.

bye bye

Reply Posted by James on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 09:13
Full of bull mate , racist scum bag .

Reply Posted by Nicola on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 10:24
Stevo that's basically what you was saying , as you presumed that he was looking for a job that wasn't "beneath him" as you put it.

Reply Posted by les on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 13:52
I suggest you read your own backdated
remarks on different subjects including racist remarks and you will see that you change part way through sentences to suit your own lies.
And please when you reply dont forget to mention all about your money.
And no your money doesnt get me going .
Ive got plenty but i dont mention anything about what i have got because it is irrelevent to any conversation....
I had an uncle once. who asked his daughter to get his wallet as he made his final journey in an ambulance...he thought he could take it with him as well .always talking about it

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 15:38
Les ok, lets put the lid on this one, its is evidently clear you have no education to speak of and are incapable of stringing a cohesive sentence together that makes any sense to a normal person.

As for my "alleged" racist remarks, the majority of my posts do mention eastern European migrant workers and that said eastern European workers are the main beneficiaries of jobs in the local area.

I have also mentioned on many numerous occasions that the majority of said migrants are white European so how could you possibly construe that my remarks could be deemed racist?

It is politically correct, namby pamby idiots like you that suggest that anyone who dares to speak about foreign migrant workers a "racist" issue.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 18:03
Stevo did I once read a post from you stating you would be standing at the next local elections ? I can't remember if you said which party , was just wondering. Cheers.

Reply Posted by Mememe on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 19:45
Stevo standing at the next local elections don't make me laugh, who's he standing for the bmp

Reply Posted by les on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 20:05
Your a naughty boy . you didnt mention money and you said you would.
And you are answering your own questions of course your being racist leave foreigners alone there not bothering you.
They havnt prevented you getting a a job have they.
And as ive said before what about the 5 million english who have moved out of the country and living in europe is that not the reverse . anyone can live anywhere
and work anywhere that is part of the human rights.the only grevience i have is why they come to live here when our cigarettes are twice as expensive