Former Council Clerk To Stand Trial

Tuesday May 14 2013

Ex-council clerk to stand trail for alleged £1m fraud Ex-council clerk to stand trail for alleged £1m fraud

A FORMER council clerk accused of a £1million fraud will stand trial in September.

Janet Cooper is accused of stealing almost £1million from Brierley Town Council while she was clerk there.

Cooper, 50, of Sheffield, denied four charges of fraud by abuse of position and one allegation of theft by an employee at Barnsley Magistrates' Court in 2011.

She will stand trial at Sheffield Crown Court on September 30.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 10:28
Glad it was only £1million, shows just how well Barnsley is being run.???

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 13:35
It will be interesting to see what the councillors (and others) were (not) doing.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 17:08
If she is found guilty I hope they are going to seize all her assets and give her a lengthy prison sentence.
This sort of thieving has got to attract heavy penalties, she was in a position of trust and stole from her own.

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 18:03
Just shows how well our council is run doesn't it?
A damning indictment of our council and the buffoons that run it.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 21:17
Which Council are you referring to? Brierley Town Council or BMBC as without stating the obvious it is Brierley Town Council that the lady worked for and far from me to make a sweeping statement but you do like a free pop at BMBC and their, as you so elegantly put it 'buffoonery' even when they are not at fault.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 11:42
Brierly comes under BMBC who are ultimately responsible and would have to make up any shortfall in the budget. How long have you been employed by BMBC Hoyland Red you sound like a share holder.???

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 14:12
I can assure you I'm not employed by BMBC, however I do cringe at the constant haranging of the easy target that is BMBC. I've always believed in constructive criticism or if something is not to your liking do something about it, but to some people on here they spout anti Council rubbish. If however, they are willing to get off their backsides and meet the Councillors or Officers or better still take action themselves to help the community, then I all power to them. Some however like the sight of their own text.p.s. are you sure the Council would make up the shortfall of a Parish levy???

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 18:17
Cheers rainbow, you saved me a job there trying to explain to HR.
Sometimes its like trying to knock a nail in a knot.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 18:29
BMBC are an easy target!
They have done NOTHING for this town, apart from spending ridiculous money on projects that go massively over budget on buildings and other things that nobody wants.
Fountains anyone?
They have failed to bring in any significant business into the town despite being in power for many a generation.
They NEVER step out of their newly renovated ivory tower to see what is really happening in our town, the only time we do see them is when a media opportunity arises, purely for self promotion not for the good of our town.
I can also assure you that I am personally constantly lobbying our local "councillor", who, incidentally I had worked with for many years.
He couldn't give a monkeys, all he is interested in is getting his picture in the local press and is single handedly responsible for the biggest epic fail this town has ever seen!

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 21:35
Ding ding - here he is. Stevo the lobbyist, he knows the answers!! So the town hall gardens refurb is a waste of money already - before it's even finished - and just how much of that is Council revenue or capital monies? it must be difficult for you acknowledge anything constructive that happens in Barnsley as everything appears to be a negative from you.

Reply Posted by stevo on Thursday May 16 2013 at 18:20
I only speak from the heart HR, seems the majority of Barnsley folk are not only narrow minded but narrow sighted too.
I have never said that the fountains weren't directly funded via taxpayers,BUT the cost of running them @ £20k P.A will indeed be met by taxpayers.
A complete and utter waste of OUR money in these austere times, especially when our neighbours in Leeds and Sheffield have turned their fountains off to save you money.
Or are you now going to tell me that visitors from across the land will flock to Barnsley in their thousands to see (probably) the only remaining and fully working fountains in the country?
You sir evidently have serious mental issues if you think that these fountains will bring any further visitors into town.
It is also evidently clear that our beloved council have mental issues spending £20k P.A on stupid fountains that people don't want.
£20k P.A would fund an A&E nurse, remember the NHS?
But I am almost sure you will have never used the NHS have you?

Take off your rose coloured glasses get with the program and get out in the real world of Barnsley, everything about Barnsley IS negative, unless you are a council worker on a vastly inflated salary sitting at the upper echelons of the newly refurbished municipal ivory tower.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Thursday May 16 2013 at 20:33
Stevo, you are of course entitled to your own opinion - however, what Leeds and Sheffield do with their fountains is of no consequence to me - turning off their fountains doesn't save me a penny living in Barnsley as I'm sure the cost of running them is funded via revenue i.e. Council Tax. However, in my opinion public realm improvements do lift areas and to a visitor or potential investor they can give a positive impression of the location. As someone who constantly bangs on about the town centre gateways and how poor it is, I'm surprised that you're so negative about it or are you happy to see a 1960's car park and outdated concrete flower beds - perhaps Pioneer should have stayed and the petrol station opposite. The large lawn that was Mandela gardens, the bus station from hell,
Take that lemon out of your mouth and travel to other towns and cities as I have to (not just within a 15 mile radius) and you'll notice that Barnsley has a lot going for it - Yes there are problems in the borough, it's not difficult to see where but " everything about Barnsley is negative" is a massive over reaction, unless of course you work for Sheffield City Council tourist information sitting wherever you sit. - Throw the program its poisoning your mind.

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday May 17 2013 at 07:33
HR, where was the petrol station, I'm struggling to remember it.

FYI I spend a lot of time in the North West, Oldham, Rochdale, Burnley, Wigan and the majority of them have something in common with Barnsley.
Once were major employment hubs, now that the major employers have gone, they too all have a higher than average unemployment and the jobs that are available there are poorly paid, casual jobs on employment agencies.
As for the town centres, well Wigan is not too bad, but the others mentioned have a similar town centre to ours, massively run down with no sight of further funding to improve what they have,
Surprise, surprise the majority of them are also Labour run too, so you can draw your own conclusions from that.
The one that I did fail to mention was Blackburn, have you ever been to Blackburn?
It makes Barnsley look like Beverly Hills.

And no I do not work for Sheffield city council T.I.

Read the "court report", sorry I mean Barnsley Chronicle recently?
Negativity breeds negativity, what more can I say.

I will constantly berate BMBC and the buffoons that run it and exercise my right to free speech whenever I feel it necessary, until, and only until the idiots on their vastly inflated salaries get their fingers out of their a**es and do something about the state of our town, the lack of opportunities and get some proper well paid jobs into town may I change my opinion.

And before you give me the old "why don't you do something about it then line", I am extremely active in my own community and run several volunteer groups.
I am also an active member of a certain political party (not BNP!) and will be running as a candidate in the next General Election.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday May 17 2013 at 13:39
Stevo, The petrol station was at the bottom of Shambles St jct with Peel St prior to the KFC / Job Centre being built. I get the impression from comments that you make that we're about the same age, so we've probably grown up through the same 'development' of the town and its surrounding districts. BMBC whilst being no means perfect have opened up a lot of land for development e.g Dodworth, Shortwood, Grimethorpe etc and I hope in the next few years these will provide the foundation for growth for my kids when they leave school (assuming they're still in the area). It's also apparent now why you feel the need to throw as much mud as you can but hey ho that's politics.

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday May 17 2013 at 17:38
I can remember the petrol station now.

The majority of the development land has been on brownfield / former colliery sites which attracts a certain amount of European funding.
Grants were readily available for businesses that moved onto the brownfield sites, Asos, L&P springs, Thornhill heat exchangers, Symphony, and Sash to name but a few.

As for throwing mud, only speaking what the average Barnsley man is thinking, it is time to stand up and be counted, its not every day that an average working man goes head to head with mp's and a council that have been ingrained into the Barnsley folk's phsyche for generations.
I aim to represent the people of Barnsley, For the good of Barnsley, even if I fail miserably then at least I will still have self belief and take great pride in knowing that me, the average joe, was prepared to stand up and be counted.

It is just a pity that other Barnsley people don't feel the same and are led like lambs to the slaughter every time we have a council or general election.

The past is the past but the future is mine.....

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday May 17 2013 at 20:42
Well good luck - You can only admire someone who is prepared to stand up and fight for what they believe is the right thing - although we do appear to have slightly different views - but the world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Reply Posted by Graham on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 23:20
Who were the elected members at Brierley Town Council who allowed this woman to steal such a huge sum of money? Surely they have all resigned. I believe that Barnsley Council has a responsibility for overseeing the town/village councils within the Borough. They too appear to have fallen well short of what was expected of them. Have there been any resignations of elected members or paid officers at Barnsley Council for their dereliction of duty?

Reply Posted by Grimey Lad on Friday May 17 2013 at 10:58
This is not the first time this lady has committed fraud, BTC found out that she was the subject of a channel 4 documentary with regard the same thing where she defrauded the company she worked for out of 1 million & was sentenced to 3 years in prison, this was under a completely different name, she is good at the fraud part, she changed her name falsified documents & would produce a completely different set of running costs to BTC, she even defrauded the lifestyles gym which ultimately led that company going into administration, but it was the trustees of that company that realised that something was amiss & went to the police...

Reply Posted by top seo guys on Friday October 25 2013 at 13:21
fPJjVk Fantastic article post.