Police Appeal After Darfield Crash

Tuesday May 7 2013

Police appeal Police appeal

THE police are appealing for witnesses after a biker was taken to hospital following a serious collision with a car near to a Barnsley garden centre on Thursday morning.

The incident happened at 8.11am on May 2, on the A635 Doncaster Road at the junction with Barnsley Road, Darfield, Barnsley.

A red Vauxhall Meriva was travelling along Doncaster Road towards Darfield when it’s believed to have turned right across the path of the motorbike, which was travelling along Doncaster Road in the opposite direction.

The rider of the black Huoniao motorbike, a 21-year-old man from Wombwell, suffered a broken leg and spinal injuries. He was taken to Barnsley District General Hospital where he was detained.

The car driver, a 68-year-old man from Darfield, suffered slight shock. He was also treated at the same hospital, but not detained.

Any witnesses or anyone with information about the collision should call South Yorkshire Police on: 101 and quote incident number 163 of 2 May, 2013.

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday May 9 2013 at 09:14
its disgusting that this driver didn't see the bike. more care should be taken. car drivers should have it rammed down their throats to be aware of bikes. it should be majorly highlighted.

Reply Posted by dave on Thursday April 17 2014 at 18:36
accidents do happen, we all missed something on the road. i,m sure no one meant to crash, but i remember last week while coming from barnsley, a scooter was following me (30 mph) and he was bloody texting while riding with one hand. silly . i,m not blaming motorcyclists or car drivers , but we all must be more aware while driving or riding. hope every one involved in this accident recovers fully

Reply Posted by liam on Thursday May 9 2013 at 09:18
to be honest, with motorbikes you're taking your life into your own hands. Accidents waiting to happen.

Reply Posted by keith on Thursday May 9 2013 at 09:29
Don,t blame the bikers, its too easy.

Reply Posted by Gav on Sunday May 12 2013 at 12:27
SOME motorcyclist ride like idiots, more car drivers drive like idiots, if people learned to drive and ride properly and consider other road users, and pedestrians, followed the highway code, NOT use phones, ipods etc... used mirrors, indicators, correct lanes and LOOKED!! the roads would be a lot safer for everyone!! just because someone chooses to ride a bike doesn't mean they deserve to be killed or maimed!

Reply Posted by observer on Thursday May 9 2013 at 09:30
theres an element of risk with any form of transport. car drivers are not 100 per cent concentrating on the road. and often are not looking for bikes. they are looking for similar to what they are driving. another car.

Reply Posted by Kirsty on Thursday May 9 2013 at 10:02
Really pathetic you blame the biker. Bikers get kill and injured because car drivers don't look properly!

Reply Posted by toni on Thursday May 9 2013 at 10:20
All drivers should be aware of what is on the road. As for saying bikers are accidents waiting to happen thats just discusting.... car drivers
need to pay more attention while driving it is something we all dont do enough off. I recently
passed my bike test and now when driving my
car I am alot more vigilant for bike riders as I now appreciate how they arent seen by car drivers. Everyone when driving needs to really see whats on the road with them and not just drive..... we all do it and its wrong

Reply Posted by Rob on Sunday May 12 2013 at 10:20
Wot a load ov TOSH .saying car drivers don't look wot abart the bikers that don't respect the road and other road users .I always give them the safe pass but don't 4get the ones that just think its a race track and weave in and out of cars they r the ones that need to watch the road its 2easy to blame the other person , sorry Kirsty but car drivers r not always the ones to blame

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday May 12 2013 at 10:20
All road users should be made to ride a bike before being allowed to drive a car. That way they would appreciate the fragility of being on two wheels against the comparative safety of a four wheel box!
The safety record on that particular piece of road is well documented, several accidents occuring over the tears, a significant amount resulting in deaths.
As a biker, I have been subject to people pulling accross in front of me and the momentary realisiation that you could be seeing your last sights.
I have also witnessed a biker bleed to death in the road after hitting a car square on from a dangerous overtaking manouvere.
All road users should be aware of each other, both bikers and car users.
If the spoed limits are stuck to and risks avoided then things like this shouldn't happen.

Reply Posted by Jason on Sunday May 12 2013 at 10:45
Well you can safety say the biker wasn't speeding as he would be doing really well to get 60 out of that type of bike
The driver prob just didn't see the biker
A lot of people not like what I'm going to say but I don't care
A lot elderly drivers are just not fit or safe to be on the road

Reply Posted by Rob on Sunday May 12 2013 at 11:02
well Richard y dunt that surprise me u being a biker ones again a biker pushing the blame you r a biker you choice live with it or get on a bus , I have lost some good friends to bike accidents and not one involved a car , one of my friends finished up going through a shop window old coop in Barnsley he was on the back and he died three times b4 getting to hospital ,AND NOT ONE CAR WAS INVOLVED JUST THE BIKER THINKING HE WAS Barry fekin Sheen ,my best friend LOST his LEG ,and Barry fekin Sheen walked away . So shut the .... up

Reply Posted by Gav on Sunday May 12 2013 at 12:37
Very narrow minded, SOME motorcyclist ride like idiots, MORE car drivers drive like idiots, if people learned to drive and ride properly and consider other road users, and pedestrians, followed the highway code, NOT use phones, ipods etc... used mirrors, indicators, correct lanes, slowed down and LOOKED!! the roads would be a lot safer for everyone!! just because someone chooses to ride a bike doesn't mean they deserve to be killed or maimed by someone else rushing, making a call, or just being inattentive! one bad manouvre can end and/or change lots of lives, all vehicles are dangerous, driving is a privelage not a right. I ride and drive, I have had police rider training, I have lost more friends in car accidents than bike accidents, and every circumstance is different.

Reply Posted by Rob on Sunday May 12 2013 at 11:18
HAHA biker 21 car driver 68 witch has the experience ,what if it was the other way round mmmmmmmmmm

Reply Posted by Charlie on Sunday May 12 2013 at 11:37
What would make it safer if all motor cycles had their headlight on at all times as they can blend into the area especialy if the sun is out, if it had been a HGV the driver would have been arrested why not the car driver double standard again

Reply Posted by Gav on Sunday May 12 2013 at 12:29
If people learned to drive and ride properly and consider other road users, and pedestrians, followed the highway code, Didn't use phones, ipods etc... used mirrors, indicators, correct lanes and LOOKED!! the roads would be a lot safer for everyone!!

Reply Posted by bob on Sunday May 12 2013 at 12:41
How can you not see a grown man or a motorcycle, never mind both together. Pedestrians have no chance. There's a bike parked on the pavement near me and no one ever walks into it.

Reply Posted by joanne on Monday May 13 2013 at 08:29
as the mother of the biker after reading some of the comments i feel i have to make my own. my son is still in the critical care unit in sheffield northern general hospital on a ventilator after undergoing 7 hrs of surgery on three broken vertabrae in his back, a broken femur, a shattered kneecap, torn ligaments in his right leg, and has also suffered some brain swelling. the fact that he is quite a big lad and was wearing good quality safety gear (hemet,jacket,trousers,boots,gloves etc) is probably the only reason he is still here. as yet until he wakes up we dont know if he has suffered any permanent brain damage or is able to walk. we have never prayed so much. my son wasnt at fault. he was well under the speed limit, as jason commented earlier the bike he was riding would only go 55 at a push. the car driver wasnt paying due care and attention and didnt see him which is beyond me as there are witnesses that did. he was a responsible rider and when the weather was poor he did use the bus to get to work. he was also due to take his driving test in a couple of weeks. so yes. it was the car drivers fault.
many many thanks to mark who stayed with him and talked to him while the emergency services got there. i have spoken to you but you are still our hero.
and many thanks to the paramedics and all staff at barnsley A&E who were amazing. a special mention to staff nurse janine, ( he has finally got some pillows) who he will be told about when he wakes up. because he will wake up.

Reply Posted by Janine on Monday May 20 2013 at 23:59
Joanne , it's Janine from A and E . Im so pleased i found this page. I keep thinking about him and have phoned sheffield a few times for info but not able to get much . Please try to contact me . And yes please tell him about me . He has been on my mind since the accident. I carnt wait untill he comes through the door and say " look I'm ok " .